Seriously No Politics ×

The Book of Mormon for Latter-day Saint Families

A couple months ago, I saw a post on Twitter from a gentleman named Benjamin Arkell, who runs a website Called to Share. His tweet was a picture of several copies of The Book of Mormon from his library, including The Book of Mormon for Latter-day Saint Families. I commented that, even though I am not a Latter-day Saint, I had several of the editions in his picture, except for The Book of Mormon for Latter-day Saint Families, but mentioned I had been thinking of purchasing it. He kindly responded that, if I would DM him my address, he would be happy to send me a copy, which he did.

I'm very happy with the edition, as it's quite a lovely, large, hardcover volume, with abundant illustrations and helpful notes. (One caveat: the binding is already cracking in spots, so that is one flaw.) Indeed, despite the book's title, I think it's actually a pretty good edition of the BoM for non-LDS folks, as the notes can be very helpful for people who aren't familiar with the work, as well. One unusual thing I noticed about the publication is that although the copyright page lists a publication date of 1999 (which I'm assuming is actually for the annotations and such), there is no indication of which text of the BoM is used. That leads me to assume that it is the public domain 1920 text. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who owns or is familiar with the edition, and can either verify or correct my assumption.

I am including a few pics I took of the edition, so you can see its cover and the layout of the pages, as well as the title page and some of the study helps included.

yAEJTwl7ZE9Gfgxxuq7jiUM2ftFwQjQ6_whXbozdinOQyyL4sm9tA4LuDlrAeFlb3zB9E_8LNnm1XCve56SxRAied1R8v_lTLcdtS2Dc0S6mpLhpGIBFyDVchZ-gl3fogK6rvqykjpyTCzIxUxPMbnahgqofXqIzA0XHxZ69bVJVkDZBNYVCPNUMOXwX4brKg7IZfnoT06SlLSOEmo3zMsbckHlQWeBHSUMdKp1GTwssZQHxK9h4dI3E5iadbr4WA7iD5ae4uuM0J3XoWkP4IV2C34Bjbrfg8IJSx3w3K6anHDtAZrs5U-Xe6DbNMls79nPm9lK8KyUaOFZQ_KJW7q7sjWReOAOHhd9U3QSTsY9QsI2CIbU2R1dHUBeq3BynjZyRiNuKkOIav1vb3I4EDrcf0VZSyyO9gt_jt5yqoYCuMZTthkansP0FuSMModUhEjb9k-842gVTbik0YS5ax8vxiS687LrwmF4XO1gD0R39UvgjO-hsmO4S4fVS0Jkk86tiSYVWAOPjfa1tO6vRx_Xr2FxEqUwxHikv5iLCDvr1C_F7t8HBf3tfFB52_--KAiYz9wPRX6CHLd0ldt8ExCNl2uHcc3K6GyourHmwAj88N82TiBEoIhORONRDPXsEWfArdKixohMCF8gBXWaPksw0LGnqihyBPFneQhVYN_S-kMnaAWcctpDRBpTIDQ=w543-h863-noRslN9YAnfeJzLEoXhPfZMamvOYrYKZKwnaFq4JUwbb31as7fCOOzMAAtHC8IKeigac6NLOVoFwOTL2sW4B6JlHla2euOoap6NWD2BGGu_0gwFRr1VdWXT45SUNjOdm-96iDVJDWhIpqEgw-54nCPe03HIdCZNZm4ChSCjOCJs1BlR79NbBAViItTVsJ_gyCbV8uD64eZA2hIwj0k_Yc6poET_6CuFQl_BEzpIhOhOOCU4rgWBM0xAIauxdZ7DiKYvc4_m-diIdSJFUuiottmRVaIf7hR005TvD0hm-wSNk0aGQgB9NGJvg6RcGAU0aAHKPjwQMt_DGfMJeBQBdNq0v9Ey5OuNRcDvx8zkpFd6R5hP-yf9rPB1UkGFAI3psSI8-8yMb2-QxhS-hhoafxF6pACj-wntqKyHj7oDkRx8-1YBGqkCazF-BKYH8tOf4mb5RLB6HtaZOiZZqSM7XoGmlopBLUYNvGt48Lc6Zp8b8_WVzatNaNdM6oYb7SnMpDCoh7LwY7tYpNXnjuM69nnK7jckqOVQYmn1s0xXpfUzwXh5wFLH5xjILeRGpJXmkkwXl6RG6sSN9vXnCfErEkhapVrfd2U8CY2P-5da1SNi9Esg65sLrZL19b__8W5vbR7OpHqLCI2ie0YVwbUtuic9An5fGrK69ZsCT3HDQZ748KNKNAQUi2MmpnZ-cJyRQ=w621-h863-nooN9RDXIbTQKe2tfuHswiIL3IqFeh22B0GhpRH4PKM4Iz79zNHSSIlCO_aHwT1oUmkQz1gOBmQJhr0Tp8A9xM2BwyvHgsZl5mAiTuS6CmYn81-eLsLVvkoz9Munr2hT8q3vn3AyfJirw8TWcBbRi4-6gcnzLTSYcp0e3w4-m64iXs2N6prsVBbVNzH-_nqtXHnMGx-H9_VEKpOqAO2955eZBr9ReAdkvzuBAuFojYbqrCw0R9MxJ-vdb5-v3qZsGhjDmZOOrviih1EnbTQepchyz3d-OKzp37kcg27NNWaWE-bjNKuo1lRgKSPlTUVIEWfFwg1KzPVcPZz3XWTQ5-z2G5_IyXCXrxsHDj7RoyWt0QiXqQxys1uFFyiOoUgY3-_VWtzi0aQpX-myDOMuaxHdexsQSpfjHKAMth9oDJMQN6cD8_Ylq6Gm-nQHWMYPCaemkK1C2Hgw-POlF4BecybaGsQpnlbfe4p2PAwoqrU7uOdH_iFollpRp-9sch9f2piR9nkAJzrJzX5q5oWZl7p8P9UOj2qfCQQshkeM9WZYLrwnzOnqqX4gh5J1UE5O1E3zR_xc-BYAqYAgjlLyOhx2iID1G7d7PR0RswtbWKYQp_i6GozsKGPipVLQ4STT2e1vIXiLoKHcK-EE_Dzk1DhvKvNwIZkVmy5gz7wGhOI-oEwC_RPZ79dRVhzrRXAg=w584-h863-nogYVkx9Gr44xVYSXaoPuSE0sp3WSdZoBO-wOJn4J4N6YCGkYtZzwrQH_lDRx_GxWTfSFUlk4Di1V0UwKJYxnjkeJFhRsRTM-orC2ZjSUbJ-tUG04neHXPTtLW-dqC3QjRTp8uoqdpPGO_ElbZj8VlEIVUIm8_dVFpBuk0Y4KPla95dKvFKEaTZGk0jBegziavodo3swSkdPsVQqbHwEDzUMDp1nmbmalfCnLiBRnCYCuAh12s-2uFFzVpquj2s4AyOqYyIQMM3dD9yhPfh0-fGfcLmYz7GWArZUSz2PKWn_fxbf1z3v6onMZyVaSY5cMcO9sPzdurkHgl166ggpF5iXKlKThUU96LTmVHbVqJ1Fim817rJL_5FCfACb1lhDSkYMMl-oT4-Xp9XxHcF3Q-3bSpYbirOfWnf1rLlvaGBP9s41SHQbZLe_LSTGQN04-RlLtu6CaO8Q2sJkgQTtdltf6hbQDsVcV1EtvIj22ZpZdYHhkpzaWgthQPRMGipwkEVMrvet5EHFyhTchF2J8kA5wVXdgRM_dodsEg8ekEGsljAxpmsJXq4MKxqqld5JrvwKl3aYB2HXbu_SFgMMGuXoVuLAF5l3sUk_v-yUUSFmHIdpC-yr0f5tctcuph6H0aezXWEgdOvRMZG9BxDou9Vse9ZxceatPmh_kVSOY7r3zCWhXurinEeHVChOiqpw=w1280-h863-no

Edited by caspianrex
deleted duplicate pic
2 hours ago, caspianrex said:

I am including a few pics I took of the edition, so you can see its cover and the layout of the pages, as well as the title page and some of the study helps included.

Thanks. Do you have a decoder for that?   🙂

Well according to Amazon it was published by Deseret book in 1999.  So I would imagine it was the official Church version used that year.  No reason to think otherwise.

27 minutes ago, telnetd said:

Thanks. Do you have a decoder for that?   🙂

Were the pictures not visible on your end? I'm not sure how to interpret your comment.

12 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Well according to Amazon it was published by Deseret book in 1999.  So I would imagine it was the official Church version used that year.  No reason to think otherwise.

I'm pretty sure, if it was the 1981 edition, that they would be required to include that information on their copyright page. Public domain text, however, does not require that kind of attribution. That's why I'm thinking it was very likely the 1920 text.

They look like big minus signs to me.  :)

If it the one I am thinking of, I bought it.  It was the current text as far as I remember.  I think I would have noticed otherwise.  Passed it on to others once my kids were past the point of reading as a family, so I can't check.  Since it was published by DB, I believe they would have had permission to use  the Church's version.

4 minutes ago, caspianrex said:

I'm pretty sure, if it was the 1981 edition, that they would be required to include that information on their copyright page. Public domain text, however, does not require that kind of attribution. That's why I'm thinking it was very likely the 1920 text.

Well, I did some more checking, and despite the fact that they don't give credit to the 1981 BoM text, it look like it is indeed that version.

This very helpful article  mentions a textual variation between pre-1981 texts and the 1981 text: "formation" vs. "foundation" in 1 Nephi 13. The Book of Mormon for Latter-day Saint Families has "formation" in that chapter, which matches the 1981 text.

Maybe they left out the attribution so the edition wouldn't be confused with an official church publication?

12 minutes ago, Calm said:

They look like big minus signs to me.  :)

Hm, that's weird, everything looks normal on my end. Did anyone else have trouble seeing the pics I posted? Just curious.

When I log in on Chrome, Edge, and Firefox, the pics look fine. But I also tried the Brave browser, and I just got long links instead of pictures.

I wonder what went wrong?

Edited by caspianrex
minor addition to post
6 minutes ago, caspianrex said:

Hm, that's weird, everything looks normal on my end. Did anyone else have trouble seeing the pics I posted? Just curious.

When I log in on Chrome, Edge, and Firefox, the pics look fine. But I also tried the Brave browser, and I just got long links instead of pictures.

I wonder what went wrong?

I saw the pictures fine when you first created the post but now all I see is a list of characters.  It says you edited the post so maybe the edit messed up something for the rest of us?

I'll try sharing the pics as links to my Google Photos. That might work better...usually cut & past works for me just fine on this forum.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cVMR9YKi7vPzZWR17

If someone could let me know if the pics are visible at that link, I would greatly appreciate it!

37 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I remember seeing it in stores, but it never had any appeal for me. Too much gilding of the lily for commercial marketing purposes to suit me. 

I bought it in hopes it would appeal to my daughter and we could use it for family reading. Didn’t work out that way, so it ended up with the other volumes being a nice addition to a cash wedding gift to my niece. 

10 hours ago, caspianrex said:

LDS publishing houses often do not understand the full implications of publication, and sometimes drop the ball.

On 5/2/2020 at 8:17 AM, caspianrex said:

A couple months ago, I saw a post on Twitter from a gentleman named Benjamin Arkell, who runs a website Called to Share. His tweet was a picture of several copies of The Book of Mormon from his library, including The Book of Mormon for Latter-day Saint Families. I commented that, even though I am not a Latter-day Saint, I had several of the editions in his picture, except for The Book of Mormon for Latter-day Saint Families, but mentioned I had been thinking of purchasing it. He kindly responded that, if I would DM him my address, he would be happy to send me a copy, which he did.

I'm very happy with the edition, as it's quite a lovely, large, hardcover volume, with abundant illustrations and helpful notes. (One caveat: the binding is already cracking in spots, so that is one flaw.) Indeed, despite the book's title, I think it's actually a pretty good edition of the BoM for non-LDS folks, as the notes can be very helpful for people who aren't familiar with the work, as well. One unusual thing I noticed about the publication is that although the copyright page lists a publication date of 1999 (which I'm assuming is actually for the annotations and such), there is no indication of which text of the BoM is used. That leads me to assume that it is the public domain 1920 text. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who owns or is familiar with the edition, and can either verify or correct my assumption.

You should also purchase a copy of the Restored Covenant Edition of the BoM. It's an amazing edition.

6 hours ago, Valentinus said:

You should also purchase a copy of the Restored Covenant Edition of the BoM. It's an amazing edition.

Since Prince Caspian is a collector and might not care, the RCE uses only the RLDS chapters and verses.  LDS people might find that difficult to fully utilize.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:17 AM, caspianrex said:

A couple months ago, I saw a post on Twitter from a gentleman named Benjamin Arkell, who runs a website Called to Share. His tweet was a picture of several copies of The Book of Mormon from his library, including The Book of Mormon for Latter-day Saint Families. I commented that, even though I am not a Latter-day Saint, I had several of the editions in his picture, except for The Book of Mormon for Latter-day Saint Families, but mentioned I had been thinking of purchasing it. He kindly responded that, if I would DM him my address, he would be happy to send me a copy, which he did.........................

The editor of that volume, Thomas Valletta, is also editor of The Book of Mormon Study Guide: Start to Finish, rev ed. (Deseret Book, 2019), which just might contain the notes he used in the BofM for LDS Families.  Those who enjoyed using Dan Ludlow's BofM Study Guide in past decades, may find that new one very useful.

Edited by Robert F. Smith
13 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

The editor of that volume, Thomas Valletta, is also editor of The Book of Mormon Study Guide: Start to Finish, rev ed. (Deseret Book, 2019), which just might contain the notes he used in the BofM or LDS Families.  Those who enjoyed using Dan Ludlow's BofM Study Guide in past decades, may find that new one very useful.

I have Valletta's BoM Study Guide...it's not super in-depth, but I find it helpful, especially as a non-member. (I think I have Ludlow's book in ebook form...)

20 hours ago, Valentinus said:

I've had a copy of the RCE for several years...actually, I posted about it a few months back on this forum.

Despite the fact that it uses the RLDS numbering system (which is kind of a pain), I think the RCE has one of the most user-friendly text layouts of any edition. Grant Hardy's two editions are good, too.

36 minutes ago, caspianrex said:

I have Valletta's BoM Study Guide...it's not super in-depth, but I find it helpful, especially as a non-member. (I think I have Ludlow's book in ebook form...)

Dan Ludlow's guide was a staple for BYU students for a generation.  I knew Ludlow personally, at the time he was head of BYU Religious Education.  Later he went on to head LDS Church Correlation.  He used to tell great jokes, and he did it deadpan.