Seriously No Politics ×

Is it Wrong to Pray for Evil People to Die?

25 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

I just want TBM answers or I would have posted this in the general section. Is it wrong to pray for the demise/death of evil people? Probably if there is still a chance for redepmtion it is? Is there examples of this in Scripture?

I think at least two conditions would need to exist, to hope or pray for such a thing...

1. Evil, would have to be defined by and according to God’s law, and not just for those whom we may hate, or dislike. It could not be someone with whom you only disagree, or with whom’s beliefs, and practices we just dislike.

2. Also, would that “death once prayed for”, further the laws and will of God? Because it is unlikely to know God’s true will as it relates to the sins of another, or those who do indeed have, “reprobate hearts”. If we do not know this, then we (or anyone) would not know about whom to pray for their deaths. In hindsight, it is much easier to know, because they are already gone and their sins have been found out. 

10 Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have arebelled against thee.

11 But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever ashout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.

12 For thou, Lord, wilt bless the arighteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.

This example is from Psalms 5:10

Yes.   God has reserved to Himself to determine when a life ends (and starts).  (Not to mention it is hard to pray for that without anger and other ugliness towards a fellow human in one's heart.)

But it would not be wrong to pray for help in getting through and around obstacles, or enduring suffering, or, if you are really trying to do what is right pray for your enemies goodness, happiness, and well-being.

And it isn't wrong to seek help from authorities to stop unrighteous behavior that are crimes in your jurisdiction.

Edited by rpn
18 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

I just want TBM answers or I would have posted this in the general section. Is it wrong to pray for the demise/death of evil people? Probably if there is still a chance for redepmtion it is? Is there examples of this in Scripture?

I wanted to laugh, initially, because my 11 year old asked me the same question some moths ago in connection with "a pretty evil, horrible kid at school". 

There are psalms in the bible where David seems to invoke judgment, calamity, or curses, upon his enemies or those seen as the enemies of God. Psalm 69 and 109 are good examples. Note, however, that the psalmist is calling for God to execute judgement/justice but this is just him pouring out his heart to God in the face of his affliction. But Paul reminds us: "Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord." Rom 12:19

We must remember that Jesus said:

"You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Matt 5:43-48

1 hour ago, strappinglad said:

rodheadlee, are you still in that Mexican port?

Yes. The El Nino storms last year brought too much sand in, I can't get out.I am working on getting it dredged, but it's expensive. In the meantime Im getting hit up for "protection". The marina owner is on the run we think the bank repoed it.The grapevine syas it's been sold to new owners but we don't know.

If you got the funds could you be sure they will dredge it or might it just be stolen because it has to go through the new owners?

This reminds me of Moscow in the 90s. Please be careful as my husband lost a friend back then when he tried to take mafia backed owners to court. 

Edited by Calm
46 minutes ago, Calm said:

How much does it cost to dredge?

6k I'm going in halfs with another boat owner. the dredger wants 3k up front and 3k when he is done.I'm offering 1500 for my half of the upfront. Im not worried about the new owners, I'm just worried he won't finish the job.

46 minutes ago, Calm said:

2 hours ago, rpn said:

Yes.   God has reserved to Himself to determine when a life ends (and starts).  (Not to mention it is hard to pray for that without anger and other ugliness towards a fellow human in one's heart.)

But it would not be wrong to pray for help in getting through and around obstacles, or enduring suffering, or, if you are really trying to do what is right pray for your enemies goodness, happiness, and well-being.

And it isn't wrong to seek help from authorities to stop unrighteous behavior that are crimes in your jurisdiction.

The nearest authorities are 30 miles either direction. We've been warned not to say anything or there would be much suffering. I am not sure why God didn't warn me not to come here. Maybe He did and I just did didn't hear it.

On 4/27/2020 at 7:23 PM, rodheadlee said:

Probably should only be left to the initiative of a prophet guided by God.  St Paul was an evil man named Saul.  He persecuted and oversaw the execution of Christians.  God took care of that personally.  That's not our job.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:27 PM, rodheadlee said:

10 Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have arebelled against thee.

11 But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever ashout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.

12 For thou, Lord, wilt bless the arighteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.

This example is from Psalms 5:10

Prophets inspired by God can certainly say such things.  Not sure that just anyone can.  Of course in wartime, the USA has bombed and killed the enemy in large numbers and felt completely justified.  Our Church takes a stand that such killing is justified in wartime.

On 4/28/2020 at 4:27 PM, rodheadlee said:

The nearest authorities are 30 miles either direction. We've been warned not to say anything or there would be much suffering. I am not sure why God didn't warn me not to come here. Maybe He did and I just did didn't hear it.

Anything I've ever faced isn't nearly as serious as what you've faced, but, that said, I've learned the futility of asking "Why did God let [x] happen?" or "Why didn't God tell me?" or of saying, "I must not have been listening very well."  Life is more than bewildering and frustrating enough as it is without adding all of those unanswerable questions on top of the existing bewilderment.  Eventually (though, from a mortal perspective, not nearly soon enough), either we'll get answers to all of the "Lord, why hast Thou dealt with me thus?" questions, or those answers, long since, will have ceased to matter.

Why are you in a situation where, apparently, if I understand correctly, you're beholden to Mexican mafia/organized crime?  That's what the mafiosi (of all stripes) do: They take advantage of people.  ("It's what they do," as the long-running GEICO campaign might put it.) If they took advantage only of bad people, none of the rest of us would have to worry about it, but life, and, more to the point, crime, doesn't work that way.  It's not the only reason why crime is crime, but one of the main reasons why crime is crime is because it takes advantage of good people.

I wish you well. :)

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Why are you in a situation where, apparently, if I understand correctly, you're beholden to Mexican mafia/organized crime?  

Because I stupidly sailed into this marina.I had a friend in the area and they checked it out for us. The problem is we have been lied to from the start. Now I can't sail out with out getting some dredging done. We llive on our boat. It's our home. Here is a cut and paste from a letter to my insurance company.

How we got this way is a long story. When we came here in November of 2018 I had a friend talk the marina manager and he said they had 9 feet at low tide but wait until high tide to come in. We made it in to our slip after bumping once because we were out of the unmarked channel. They had a dredger so I wasn’t worried about getting back out. Then the El Nino storms came and deposited many tons of sand in our entrance channel. I still wasn’t worried because I figured they would start dredging after winter was over.

They never started dredging as the dredger was broken. About July last summer The marina manager promised the were getting another dredger as well as getting this one fixed and we would have 2 dredgers working on it. Later the same day he was gunned down in a drive by shooting on the road between here and Ensenada. The new manager assured me no new dredger was coming and that he was working on getting this one fixed. Well here we are in March and no one has dredged but they have taken a large front loader and moved some sand around. But it’s not enough for me to get out. The dredger supposedly works but I don’t know why they are not running it. There is supposed to be a deal to trade a boat for a different dredger to do the work.

Here is a link to their lying website :http://www.marinapuertosalina.com/index.html

Edited by rodheadlee
36 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

Here is an idea from a stupid landlubber. Get a few air inflated pontoons and attach them low down on your boat, then inflate them and raise the boat enough to get out. Works in cartoons....and salvage operations. 😜

That thought has crossed my mind. I might check on getting some custom ones made for it

Yep both cats love it here. They sleep all day and hunt all night.It's kind of why we didn't stay in the states. No one would accept cats.We were supposed to be on several lists to get a live abord slip and no one has called us in over a year.Once we got trapped we stopped calling.