Seriously No Politics ×

Church Status

50 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

Does anybody have a clue when church will start up? Are any temples open? Will they all open at once or country by country?

Likely by country or region I am guessing for temples.  I am hoping they just open temples for live ordinances for several months in case they have to shut down again due to the virus coming back either come winter or due to less restrictions.

Church meetings I don't know, but I would assume they will instruct leaders to follow the local restrictions for local meetings.  No sense opening them up globally if local restrictions are still in place as that sends a mixed message.  I don't see the Church SL leadership dictating they know better than the locals in regards to community health in general.  A US central leadership telling locals they need to stay quarantine in regards to church meetings when the local government has deemed it appropriate to reopen might create some negative feelings between the community and the Church.  Right now the Church's response is in line with much of the world's governments and organizations, so if different than local government is requiring, such instruction isn't standing out I am guessing.  This could change as countries that have had significant social distancing rules in place start to open back up and it becomes less common.

SL may not send missionaries back in, but that is different than telling locals how to live their lives.

I don't know if other countries have areas with different levels of restrictions like the States or restrictions are fully determined at the federal level.  Do you have any idea?  Are you still stuck in harbour or did you get out?

For Canadian posters, are restrictions varying by province or town in part or totally by federal rule?  Any other nonAmerican posters, how is it being handled in your country if you don't mind sharing?

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Does anybody have a clue when church will start up? Are any temples open? Will they all open at once or country by country?

The Church is likely to follow the direction of the State governments in that regard. We are likely to see Southern states get back to business sooner. Perhaps the Mountain States will follow suit. But in any event, it will be a case by case in sync with the determination of the civil authorities.  That would be my guess. 

In Australia, there are a set of requirements mandated by the federal government and then the state governments can mandate additional requirements.  New South Wales is the hardest hit state and you can't do much at all.  Everything here is locked down tight and not much sign of letting up.  The daily cases are dropping and they may loosen some restrictions, but if there's an uptick, they'll clamp back down.  Personally, I like home church.  I know I can guarantee the Holy Spirit will attend my home.  You can't say the same thing about church services.

Somehow I didn't feel alone when I stood by myself in the den during conference and joined in the Hosanna shout... I felt comforted by the spirit in my home and truly blessed...

GG

1 hour ago, Ratbag said:

In Australia, there are a set of requirements mandated by the federal government and then the state governments can mandate additional requirements.  New South Wales is the hardest hit state and you can't do much at all.  Everything here is locked down tight and not much sign of letting up.  The daily cases are dropping and they may loosen some restrictions, but if there's an uptick, they'll clamp back down.  Personally, I like home church.  I know I can guarantee the Holy Spirit will attend my home.  You can't say the same thing about church services.

Thanks for the info.

4 hours ago, rpn said:

I don't expect temple (except for personal ordinances) or meetings until a vaccination is found.

18 months from now? If a vaccine is even possible (and it may not be --- it may be like a flu vaccine; constantly changing and of limited efficacy. We don't know yet).

I expect that it will vary by state and county in the U.S., but generally, will align with the federal 3 phase guidelines. Phase 1: businesses and groups of ten. Phase 2: groups of 50. Phase 3: restrictions lifted. 

Under this, I would think states like Utah and Arizona and Nevada and Idaho, that haven't been hard hit, may see full church by June. The thought that we may have no church for another 1-2 years is simply unthinkable to me. 

Now, in some areas, like New York City, it's probably a lot further off than it is in some more spread out Western states. 

In the US it depends very much on what happens as states start loosening restrictions. We still are not sure whether we are mostly in control now or if loosening up will unleash another, possibly larger wave of cases.

Most of the states opening up now are not meeting the federal guidelines for moving to another opening phase. By no means are the governors required to follow the federal government on this but it does seem driven more by bravado and desperation than a frank assessment of the current situation or the infection rate being under control. We will start to find out if this was a good idea in about a week and a half.

On 4/22/2020 at 9:40 PM, rongo said:

Under this, I would think states like Utah and Arizona and Nevada and Idaho, that haven't been hard hit, may see full church by June. The thought that we may have no church for another 1-2 years is simply unthinkable to me. ............................................

Heard a radio broadcast today in which Utah turned out to be the state with the highest rate of purchase of supplies from stores.  The researcher attributed that to the prevailing culture of preparation and of larger families.

On 4/22/2020 at 10:12 PM, Ratbag said:

We have been richly blessed here in the State and County where I live. This pandemic has not interfered too much with our daily lives, as the outbreak has been small, and not too many serious cases. Our Bishop and his family were hit with it due to an outbreak on a cruise they had been on, but thankfully they have all recovered. This is great for our Ward, and for my family, as they are members of my extended family, and my son-in-law works for him, and is still working. It is also great for us, this because we live very near Atlanta, and even though it is a major U.S. City, it too has also been spared. Almost all of my children are still able to work, this is good, also we all now have much looooooonger hair since this entire pandemic popped off, so we are all having fun poking fun at each other’s hair, beards, etc. I do however miss Church, but I am sure this will soon begin again, if not we are prepared to work, study and pray, as if all things we normal. Once we are able to again go out to eat, get haircuts, etc, we have decided to tip as much as we can to help our neighbors, our friends, and even strangers who work in these industries to get back upon their feet more quickly. So, we are thankful for the lessons we have been taught in the past that has prepared us for such times of difficulty. We do also resolve to listen and obey even more in the future, in the event this or worse ever happens again. In short, I have been studying more intently, and am looking for ways to be better prepared both temporarily and Spiritually, “with an eye single to the glory of God”. 

On 4/22/2020 at 2:00 PM, rodheadlee said:

Of continued concern is that a very large number of Temple patrons (Tue-Thurs) tend to be older (at least in my district) as well as most Temple workers. That is the "at risk" demographic for the virus. Many will chose to avoid the Temple until a vaccine is developed and becomes available. I'm under 50 so I am not that worried about the bug but I understand that others are so. 

On 4/22/2020 at 9:28 PM, Garden Girl said:

Somehow I didn't feel alone when I stood by myself in the den during conference and joined in the Hosanna shout... I felt comforted by the spirit in my home and truly blessed...

GG

Bless You!  ("Why, Ken?  I didn't sneeze?!" :D)

On 4/27/2020 at 1:30 PM, Islander said:

Of continued concern is that a very large number of Temple patrons (Tue-Thurs) tend to be older (at least in my district) as well as most Temple workers. That is the "at risk" demographic for the virus. Many will chose to avoid the Temple until a vaccine is developed and becomes available. I'm under 50 so I am not that worried about the bug but I understand that others are so. 

As long as this thing is going, and they say to expect a replay in the fall, the last place I would want to be is at church in a building that has multiple wards. There is no space to social distance in large wards.  I can't think of a worse germ factory. 

1 hour ago, juliann said:

As long as this thing is going, and they say to expect a replay in the fall, the last place I would want to be is at church in a building that has multiple wards. There is no space to social distance in large wards.  I can't think of a worse germ factory. 

Especially with kids.  You could expect adults to stay apart if requested....kids and even youth, unlikely.  And they are touching everything with hands and often mouth.

Edited by Calm

I think when people return, it will only be for one hour. I don’t think nursery or singing time could safely occur for some time. Singing in primary with masks isn’t really feasible. Hymns are going to have to wait.

1 hour ago, katherine the great said:

. I would love to be able to slip in and take the sacrament though...

That is one of my concerns given the virus.  I don’t trust the boys preparing it. Their fingers are all over everything. The trays are passed through multiple hands, empty but dripping water cups are passed over full cups as they are discarded. Kids can pick at the bread...just no. 

16 hours ago, juliann said:

That is one of my concerns given the virus.  I don’t trust the boys preparing it. Their fingers are all over everything. The trays are passed through multiple hands, empty but dripping water cups are passed over full cups as they are discarded. Kids can pick at the bread...just no. 

I don’t see how it will be ‘passed’ in the future. Boys preparing must wear gloves and masks. Trays can’t be passed as before. In phase 3, we only get up to groups of ninety. Maybe hourly sacrament meetings only. Stagggered seating enabling the deacons to pass to each row without assistance. No children allowed to touch. A separate tray for discarded cups only. Maybe we have Sacrament at home and gather for RS and Priesthood. Who knows.

Edited by bsjkki