Seriously No Politics ×

Bombarded With Virtual Church Meetings

4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

We have a ward nearby that now has a 5 hour virtual block. Sacrament meeting (w/o sacrament), Sunday School, Elder's Quorum, Relief Society, YM/YW combined, and Primary). All in sequence. All of them every Sunday. I think they are insane. Prophet  says gospel study should be home centered. How about we give each family five hours of church every Sunday. I am sure the kids will be eager to sit down for a family gospel lesson at the end of that. /sarcasm

Sounds like some person or people in that ward are looking beyond the mark. 

Edited by Peacefully
5 hours ago, The Nehor said:

We have a ward nearby that now has a 5 hour virtual block. Sacrament meeting (w/o sacrament), Sunday School, Elder's Quorum, Relief Society, YM/YW combined, and Primary). All in sequence. All of them every Sunday. I think they are insane. Prophet  says gospel study should be home centered. How about we give each family five hours of church every Sunday. I am sure the kids will be eager to sit down for a family gospel lesson at the end of that. /sarcasm

I believe this is what they were trying to avoid. It's too bad some leaders get caught up in the letter of the law and miss the spirit of it. I hope it isn't a huge burden on the ward members. 

28 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Found out they are trying to space the meetings out now. So basically they are going back to before the consolidated block.

Is this where people learn to say “no” or at least question the decisions or just follow their local leaders?

6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Insane...!

If I were in that ward, I'd follow the prophet and re-do what he invited us to do a while back, go on a social media fast for sometime...!

21 minutes ago, amo said:

Insane...!

If I were in that ward, I'd follow the prophet and re-do what he invited us to do a while back, go on a social media fast for sometime...!

I  think I'd do the same,  I wouldn't watch 5 hours each Sunday. Sunday school and Relief Society classes would have to greatly improve to make watching them rather than enjoying my own versions, worth my time. 

7 hours ago, The Nehor said:

See that's the problem!!  Your people are obviously computer literate and actually get how these things work.  ;)

It's probably all them BYU folks messin wit the rest of us!

4 hours ago, alter idem said:

I believe this is what they were trying to avoid. It's too bad some leaders get caught up in the letter of the law and miss the spirit of it. I hope it isn't a huge burden on the ward members. 

I don't know. I don't get out much to talk to them. ;) 

I did press hard in my ward to make everyone aware that everything we were doing on Sundays was optional and is not a "church meeting" as such. It is a group of people who want some instruction or whatever and we avoided anything that seemed like a sacrament meeting. I thought just offering a 15 minute Primary and a short Sunday School lesson and the Relief Society having an online get-together every week might be over the line but turns out compared to everyone else in the area we are horrible slackers.

With the youth we are having leaders talk to them one on one reasonably often under the idea they are more likely to be spiritually aided by one on one interaction than they would be with a class they can ignore while they text someone else or whatever.

On 5/7/2020 at 8:24 AM, The Nehor said:

21 hours ago, Peacefully said:

Sounds like some person or people in that ward are looking beyond the mark. 

21 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Found out they are trying to space the meetings out now. So basically they are going back to before the consolidated block.

20 hours ago, alter idem said:

20 hours ago, Peacefully said:

Is this where people learn to say “no” or at least question the decisions or just follow their local leaders?

19 hours ago, amo said:

Insane...!

19 hours ago, alter idem said:

I  think I'd do the same,  I wouldn't watch 5 hours each Sunday. Sunday school and Relief Society classes would have to greatly improve to make watching them rather than enjoying my own versions, worth my time. 

You folks have forgotten the 14th Article of Faith: "We believe in meetings.  We believe in all meetings that were scheduled and that are scheduled, and we believe that many meetings will yet be scheduled pertaining to the kingdom of God.  We have endured many meetings, and we believe we will be able to endure all meetings.  If there is any meeting that is virtuous, lovely, or of good report or priaiseworthy, we seek after these meetings."

Edited by Kenngo1969
9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

...With the youth we are having leaders talk to them one on one reasonably often under the idea they are more likely to be spiritually aided by one on one interaction than they would be with a class they can ignore while they text someone else or whatever.

Ya think? ;)

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 3:51 PM, alter idem said:

In the many years you've known him, is it normal for him to not respond to emails, texts and calls? If so,  is it you in particular who is ignored or does he do this to everyone?  

Also, why did you say that ministering had been paused? Were you given some kind of direction not to minister to your people? That seemed odd; ministering is needed, but not in person, of course.

He's always been a little on the flaky side so in that way it matches what i would naturally expect. But with the calling I do expect a better response from him.

Assignments have been paused. No one will be reporting or gathering info about efforts. This is being done so people can minister where they feel drawn to minister without concern about assignments or "credit" etc.

I just realized there will be no Mother's Day talks and gifts this year at church.  Woohoo!  We can put as much or as little into the day as we want to!

My family will be doing a zoom meeting with my mom. This year that will be really important to us. ❤

5 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

He's always been a little on the flaky side so in that way it matches what i would naturally expect. But with the calling I do expect a better response from him.

Assignments have been paused. No one will be reporting or gathering info about efforts. This is being done so people can minister where they feel drawn to minister without concern about assignments or "credit" etc.

That's odd.  How will the ward know who needs attention or care?

7 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

It's likely that your mileage varies, which is fine.  But, somehow, I've always understood that one of the very raisons d'etre of ministering is that an "assignment," as in, "Do this, at this time, in this way" is neither necessary nor indicated.  Rather, one should minister as s/he is moved upon by the Holy Spirit to do so, including to whom, how, when, and where.  Also, I understand Council involvement (Elders Quorum, Relief Society, Ward Council) if necessary, but the calling to minister rests principally or primarily with the minister.

Edited by Kenngo1969
On 5/8/2020 at 9:11 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

You folks have forgotten the 14th Article of Faith: "We believe in meetings.  We believe in all meetings that were scheduled and that are scheduled, and we believe that many meetings will yet be scheduled pertaining to the kingdom of God.  We have endured many meetings, and we believe we will be able to endure all meetings.  If there is any meeting that is virtuous, lovely, or of good report or priaiseworthy, we seek after these meetings."

I really really regret as a bishop all the meetings I entertained for seven years.  I did cut ward council to once a month, but that wasn't enough.  I regret not having the RS president in my bishopric meetings.  I should have limited those meetings to once a month.  Lots of regret.

21 hours ago, Bob Crockett said:

I really really regret as a bishop all the meetings I entertained for seven years.  I did cut ward council to once a month, but that wasn't enough.  I regret not having the RS president in my bishopric meetings.  I should have limited those meetings to once a month.  Lots of regret.

I understand you, as a bishop, my dad had so many church meetings to go to that now looking back, he regrets not having been there to celebrate our birthdays,etc., or attend our family gatherings --not all are members of the church so no chance to reschedule those gatherings...

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 7:32 PM, bluebell said:

That's odd.  How will the ward know who needs attention or care?

That is one of the question I have attempted to ask, but alas...crickets.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 9:39 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

It's likely that your mileage varies, which is fine.  But, somehow, I've always understood that one of the very raisons d'etre of ministering is that an "assignment," as in, "Do this, at this time, in this way" is neither necessary nor indicated.  Rather, one should minister as s/he is moved upon by the Holy Spirit to do so, including to whom, how, when, and where.  Also, I understand Council involvement (Elders Quorum, Relief Society, Ward Council) if necessary, but the calling to minister rests principally or primarily with the minister.

I think my ward is taking the always effective "willy nilly" approach. Those with obvious needs are likely being inundated by well-meaning people, while those without obvious needs are being neglected.

There seems to be a total lack of leadership. No direction. No response to inquiry.

I think my local leadership may be on extended holiday ;) 

1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I think my ward is taking the always effective "willy nilly" approach. Those with obvious needs are likely being inundated by well-meaning people, while those without obvious needs are being neglected.

There seems to be a total lack of leadership. No direction. No response to inquiry.

That's unfortunate, especially if the rest of the ward is waiting "to be commanded in all things" (see Doctrine & Covenants 58:26).  There have been occasions, perhaps, when usual lines of communication in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been disrupted in various ways, and, as a consequence, fulfilling needs in the usual ways also, perhaps, has been disrupted.  Perhaps such occasions have lessons to offer for the current situation.

Still, even in such dire times, people of faith have persevered in their faithfulness.  Perhaps the Lord is trying to persuade us to realize that we cannot always rely on such usual ways and means, or upon direction from a file leader, to provide for such needs in such times.  Perhaps we need to learn to look less at a human individual (whatever his calling, and however he may be inspired, or, as in the case you note, perhaps not) for direction and more to The Source.  For me personally, I know I probably seek to live too much on borrowed light.  Perhaps this is an occasion for me to learn to look less to the borrowed light of others and more directly to The Source and to The Light, and, perhaps, in some ways, to become more self-reliant than I have been in the past.

I don't mean to trivialize or to make light of what, obviously, is a serious situation, but, for whatever it's worth, the story "Footprints" occurs to me just now as, perhaps, an analog to the current situation.  Perhaps there are those who, although they might feel forsaken and alone in their extremity, will come to discover, eventually, that actually, they were being carried in the arms of the Good Shepherd.

While I don't live within its boundaries and cannot say for sure, I do wonder if your indictment of your ward is fair.  You might want to make sure that you wouldn't mind having whatever measuring stick you happen to be using used to evaluate you, as well.  If you're not concerned by that, if nothing else, perhaps this is a good opportunity for you further to develop charity.  

I wish you well.

Edited by Kenngo1969
3 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Sounds familiar, same here.  

Except we had a "ward dinner" where some of the leaders made dinner for the ward, we drove by and they were outside giving out meals to ward members who took the bags home to eat.

Not for needy, not for the sick, they of course were not excluded, but it was for everyone.

It was delicious but I don't get it.

10 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Sounds familiar, same here.  

Except we had a "ward dinner" where some of the leaders made dinner for the ward, we drove by and they were outside giving out meals to ward members who took the bags home to eat.

Not for needy, not for the sick, they of course were not excluded, but it was for everyone.

It was delicious but I don't get it.

Maybe they just wanted to do something for the members of their ward who are themselves, always serving the sick and the needy. Seems like it was just meant as a nice gesture, imo.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:03 PM, sweetpotatoh said:

I live in San Diego county. The only virtual meeting we’ve had is with the Sister missionaries. Once a month. Ministering by texting is more prevalent. 

Well, starting tomorrow Sunday, we'll be having a regular Church block schedule --except Primary--, virtually, of course, plus all the leadership meetings...

So much for home-centered worship on Sundays, let the leadership keep doing the feeding... 

On 5/8/2020 at 10:11 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

Very creative poetic license here Ken, haha! 😄