Seriously No Politics ×

The Next Exciting Temple Location?

On 4/11/2020 at 11:28 PM, rongo said:

Well, there might not be any functional difference if this announced Russia temple goes 20+ years before an actual site is announced, or ground broken.

The oldest temple awaiting a site to be determined is the Harare Zimbabwe Temple, which was announced exactly four years ago. The Nairobi Kenya Temple was announced exactly three years ago. The remaining 27 temples awaiting a site were all announced in the past two years. That's hardly '20+ years' by any stretch.

If that is the case (as it is with some current announced temples), then what was the point of announcing it?

To tell the Russian Saints what they can faithfully look forward to? To give them hope? From what I can tell, the Lord didn't hesitate to make promises in Old Testament times that we're still awaiting the fulfilment of. I'm not sure therefore that He shares your impatience.

To get some oohs and aahs in Conference? 

Yeah, no doubt that is precisely what is foremost in the minds and hearts of the apostles and prophets ...

15 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

The oldest temple awaiting a site to be determined is the Harare Zimbabwe Temple, which was announced exactly four years ago. The Nairobi Kenya Temple was announced exactly three years ago. The remaining 27 temples awaiting a site were all announced in the past two years. That's hardly '20+ years' by any stretch.

To tell the Russian Saints what they can faithfully look forward to? To give them hope? From what I can tell, the Lord didn't hesitate to make promises in Old Testament times that we're still awaiting the fulfilment of. I'm not sure therefore that He shares your impatience.

Yeah, no doubt that is precisely what is foremost in the minds and hearts of the apostles and prophets ...

I've heard that the church didn't have the okay yet to build a temple in Shanghai. Does the church announce before knowing it is going to be a go?

Edited by Tacenda
2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I've heard that the church didn't have the okay yet to build a temple in Shanghai. Does the church announce before knowing it is going to be a go?

I don't actually know, but I suspect it depends on the local situation. In nations that enjoy general religious freedoms, it is probably safe to do so in most cases. I sincerely doubt the Church would make an announcement in nations that don't enjoy those freedoms without some previous legwork, but I could be wrong.

In the case of Shanghai, I have a coworker whose parents were both born there, and she has been many times to visit family. Our guess is that the Church won't be building a temple there at all but will probably add endowment, sealing and other facilities within an existing multipurpose structure -- a bit like the Nauvoo Temple, to be honest. But, again, who knows?

ETA: I just raised this matter with my coworker again, and she told me that she's been to two existing Church facilities in Shanghai that could easily accommodate a 'temple'. One she described as a 'convention centre'. She said this is huge and largely underutilised. The other she described as a 'very large villa' that is big enough it could also accommodate a 'temple' inside part of it.

Both facilities, she said, are actually owned by very wealthy local members who have basically loaned them to the Church for its exclusive use. In her opinion, remodelling the existing space in either of these intentionally multipurpose properties would not require any local government approval or even knowledge.

Just FYI. She's a lawyer but not an expert on Chinese law, so again, who knows?

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
9 hours ago, Calm said:

From what kind of source?

I wish I could find the place I saw it said. I've gone through a few places but to no avail, I'll keep trying. I read this today, old news perhaps... 

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/04/06/nelsons-latest-surprise/

"In Shanghai, a modest, multipurpose meeting place will provide a way for Chinese members to continue to participate in ordinances of the temple,” Nelson said. The church’s legal status in the People’s Republic of China “remains unchanged,” and it will not send missionaries to that country.

“In an initial phase of facility use, entry will be by appointment only,” he said. “The Shanghai Temple will not be a temple for tourists from other countries.”

Nelson, a former cardiac surgeon, has a warm spot in his heart for China. In 1980, he trained heart surgeons in China, and it was there, in 1985, that he performed his last open-heart surgery. In 2015, he was honored by doctors he trained at the Shandong University School of Medicine. In January, the church sent two planeloads of protective medical equipment to the Children’s Medical Center in Shanghai to help deal with the coronavirus outbreak."

According to the relevant laws and regulations of China, foreigners are not allowed to set up religious organizations or venues for religious activities in China. 2. The Mormon Church of the United States released information on the establishment of the so-called "Temple" in Shanghai. My civil sect department was unaware of it.

It would appear the wrong question was asked of the civil department.

It was specified the multiuse center, including ordinances performed, is not for tourists, but natives, so the first issue is irrelevant.

It is not specifically a temple in description, but a multiuse center.  Iirc, it was not even specified endowment and sealing rooms would be permanently set up to do that.  Baptisms would be the only thing requiring a permanent installation of a font as far as I can think.  If they were looking for an application from "the Mormon Church of the United States", chances are they wouldn't find it for at least two reasons I can think of.  More likely listed under the local branch or area (or whatever it would be called where authority is held by locals) name.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/China

Details of this kind will be shared as they become available. With the July 2019 closure of the Hong Kong China Temple for long-planned maintenance and renovation, a multi-use meeting place in Shanghai would provide a way for Chinese members of the Church to continue participating in the ordinances of the House of the Lord in the People’s Republic of China.

Entry will be limited to Chinese members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints holding a valid recommend.   These Chinese members will have a membership record in the China Administrative Unit of the Church or will reside outside of China but hold a valid PRC passport.

Chinese Church members with a Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macau residents and a valid recommend may also enter.  

In an initial phase of facility use, entry will be by appointment only.  Such a facility will not be a tourist destination, even for Church members with a recommend. 

No. This does not represent a change in the legal status of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  

No. This does not indicate a coming change in the formal legal recognition of the Church in the People’s Republic of China. 

Consistent with current practice, expatriate and local Chinese congregations will continue to meet separately in provisional leased facilities.  

Around the world, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches its members to obey, honor, and sustain the law, to be good parents and exemplary citizens, and to make positive contributions to society.  In every place, the Church is politically neutral.

Edited by Calm

Not sure where to put this, but there’s been discussion regarding the design of the Dubai temple. Amongst that discussion is the idea that there probably won’t be a Moroni, which is agree. I do think a different symbol worth incorporating into the design would be a liahona, as that may be the most prominent symbol that connects the area to the restoration, as it was used to navigate that peninsula anciently. Particularly if the design utilizes more Arabic and Islamic architecture and if there were more dome and spherical shapes.

image.jpeg.b2027b005034b00116f53a349e577c6f.jpeg

image.jpeg.60fbee3dec1d629c5b5a260fab760f92.jpeg

image.jpeg.dae399d12967a83c204d1cbb3e19321d.jpeg

image.jpeg.975177387532d504f7dce676f498b931.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Judd
  • 3 weeks later...

Has the church done this before? https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/residential-community-near-tooele-valley-utah-temple

EDIT: I just found this: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/church/news/church-announces-redevelopment-plans-for-mesa-arizona-temple-area?lang=eng  I'll bet there are more, because I vaguely remember one being built in the outer Salt Lake area like West Jordan. EDIT again, it's in Riverton. I wonder if it ever happened, I don't live out that way any longer. https://www.deseret.com/2016/2/7/20581962/riverton-sees-550-acre-lds-church-property-plan-as-a-once-in-a-lifetime-development

Edited by Tacenda
23 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Has the church done this before? https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/residential-community-near-tooele-valley-utah-temple

EDIT: I just found thishttps://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/church/news/church-announces-redevelopment-plans-for-mesa-arizona-temple-area?lang=eng  I'll bet there are more, because I vaguely remember one being built in the outer Salt Lake area like West Jordan.

The church is no stranger to development projects.  Each one with its own style based on the area and purpose.  Mesa and City Creek were both mixed-use commercial/residential projects suitable to the urban areas where they are located.

One thing I like about this one is that the homes closest to the temple appear to be the paired 55+ homes (I could be wrong, just an assumption from the plat map).  That seems appropriate given that many temple workers fall into that demographic.  Density is high compared to adjacent parcels but seems to align with the residential development to the north, Stansbury Park, and they seem to be working to balance it by adding a good sized park with nice community amenities.