Seriously No Politics ×

Serious Risk of Covid-19 Being Spread at General Conference

17 hours ago, Judd said:

There is no podium. It’s being photoshopped in. 

Actually there was a spray system, not unlike the one for your car your windshield that sprayed between speakers.

If you listen closely you can hear it although it is muffled by the sound of the pulpit being moved up and down.

I just made that up but it sounds pretty good.

17 hours ago, amo said:

So then, since he's a doctor and a prophet, let him go to NY and give a hand,  in 1 of the many hospitals where hundreds are dying... Please...!

Oh, I see now, perfectly.  Whatever leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints they do, it will never be enough to satisfy you and those of your ilk, and will be ripe for incessant criticism.  Thanks for clearing that up, amo.  (As if there ever was any doubt to begin with? :rolleyes:<_<)

P.S.:  On the one hand, he's "a doctor and a prophet," yet, even at his advanced age (which places him in a high-risk group) you demand that he go to an area where the virus is so concentrated that he stands a much greater chance of contracting it than someone who is not in a high-risk group; yet on the other hand, you excoriate him for allowing General Conference to be held under circumstances in which, you allege, people in attendance are at great risk of contracting the virus?  That doesn't make sense.  You can't have it both ways, amo: if he's a doctor, well-credentialed enough to help out in New York City, then, surely, those same credentials serve him well in evaluating and minimizing risk when it comes to the small group in attendance at General Conference.  Pick a horse and ride it the whole race, amo.  Pick a horse and ride it the whole race.

Edited by Kenngo1969
12 minutes ago, JamesBYoung said:

We all ride the race, whether to another's satisfaction or not.  Be careful of pitfalls in a mad whole race dash.

Metaphor is lost on you, I see.

5 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Actually there was a spray system, not unlike the one for your car your windshield that sprayed between speakers.

If you listen closely you can hear it although it is muffled by the sound of the pulpit being moved up and down.

Or maybe they simply bombarded the podium with UV light in between talks. It's odorless, tasteless, and dissolves...wait, that's iocane powder. Nevermind. ;) 

45 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

Nobody thinks any os the Conference was actually live, do you?

The camera work outside was likely live given my sky was very close to, if not identical, it in terms of light (I am an hour south).

Pres. Nelson, I believed, mentioned 10 audience members...which would likely be other speakers and any camera crew needed.  I think they kept it pretty simple, not changing views a lot, iirc.  Choir was indicated as recorded obviously.  

Why do you assume the talks and prayers were all recorded?

I think it was announced some were recorded, others not....but that might have been changed as it was an earlier permutation.

Basic hygiene practices, safer than going shopping.

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Oh, I see now, perfectly.  Whatever leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints they do, it will never be enough to satisfy you and those of your ilk, and will be ripe for incessant criticism.  Thanks for clearing that up, amo.  (As if there ever was any doubt to begin with? :rolleyes:<_<)

P.S.:  On the one hand, he's "a doctor and a prophet," yet, even at his advanced age (which places him in a high-risk group) you demand that he go to an area where the virus is so concentrated that he stands a much greater chance of contracting it than someone who is not in a high-risk group; yet on the other hand, you excoriate him for allowing General Conference to be held under circumstances in which, you allege, people in attendance are at great risk of contracting the virus?  That doesn't make sense.  You can't have it both ways, amo: if he's a doctor, well-credentialed enough to help out in New York City, then, surely, those same credentials serve him well in evaluating and minimizing risk when it comes to the small group in attendance at General Conference.  Pick a horse and ride it the whole race, amo.  Pick a horse and ride it the whole race.

C'mon, Kenngo, I was being sarcastic... Apples & pears : I was replying to a comment that indicated that, since Pres. Nelson is the prophet, he would be protected/immune to the virus…

6 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Lol, but then again, NO need... Just have 2 podiums, as I said before, & disinfect 1 while the other is being used.    That simple...!

7 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Well you didn't have to make it up, it's real. Further in the video it shows that just having a conversation can leave droplets that linger all over the area people are in. So just hope no one has the virus! 

3 hours ago, Amulek said:

Or maybe they simply bombarded the podium with UV light in between talks. It's odorless, tasteless, and dissolves...wait, that's iocane powder. Nevermind. ;) 

There you go!  Some kind of radiation beam thingy between speakers?

I mean there's a lot of clever BYU guys who can't go to school now, who knows what advances they will make in the real world? ;)

Edited by mfbukowski
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Well you didn't have to make it up, it's real. Further in the video it shows that just having a conversation can leave droplets that linger all over the area people are in. So just hope no one has the virus! 

Rep point! Hey, make it two!

3 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Metaphor is lost on you, I see.

Try meta-three? ;)

2?

On 4/6/2020 at 11:55 AM, Tacenda said:

Yup...

On 4/5/2020 at 7:21 AM, amo said:

Despite all the excellent measures being taken during this General Conference to stop the spread of the corona virus, there’s still something very major that wasn’t thought of: the PULPIT

As you may have noticed, all the speakers have been using the same single pulpit. In doing so, thousands of droplets from their mouths have been contaminating not only the pulpit but also the microphone. Almost every single speaker, if not all, has been leaning on the pulpit and touching it with their hands as well.

Can you imagine the enormous health risk that all this entails?

Wouldn't it have been wiser to have two pulpits so that, when one was being used, it would give enough time to disinfect the one that was just used?

This act would not have interfered with the audience, as there is none, and would have eliminated another major risk of spreading / catching the covid-19 disease...

Any thoughts…?

Seriously, since we have no clue about what really happened here, we might as well postulate that everyone who touched the pulpit had been tested for the virus beforehand and found to be virus free.

This whole problem parallels any discussion about history- all the possible information will never be available so it ends up being speculation mixed with the philosophies of men,  ;)

On 4/6/2020 at 10:59 AM, mfbukowski said:

Try meta-three? ;)

2?

I guess I have to explain this one.

The person does not understand meta-4 (metaphor) and so we need to come up with something simpler like meta-3 or meta-2.

I know it was bad but not even getting a chuckle for anyone?   🤕

6 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

I guess I have to explain this one.

The person does not understand meta-4 (metaphor) and so we need to come up with something simpler like meta-3 or meta-2.

I know it was bad but not even getting a chuckle for anyone?   🤕

Hey, when you're good, you're very, very good ... but when you're bad, you're even better! :D :diablo: :D 

• 3 months later...

I haven't been following the news.  Are any of The Fifteen, or any other General Authorities or General Officers of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, dead from cases of COVID-19 that health officials believe were contracted at Conference? 

1 minute ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I haven't been following the news.  Are any of The Fifteen, or any other General Authorities or General Officers of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, dead from cases of COVID-19 that health officials believe were contracted at Conference? 

Huh?  Where did officials say such? 

On 4/5/2020 at 8:21 AM, amo said:

Despite all the excellent measures being taken during this General Conference to stop the spread of the corona virus, there’s still something very major that wasn’t thought of: the PULPIT

As you may have noticed, all the speakers have been using the same single pulpit. In doing so, thousands of droplets from their mouths have been contaminating not only the pulpit but also the microphone. Almost every single speaker, if not all, has been leaning on the pulpit and touching it with their hands as well.

Can you imagine the enormous health risk that all this entails?

Wouldn't it have been wiser to have two pulpits so that, when one was being used, it would give enough time to disinfect the one that was just used?

This act would not have interfered with the audience, as there is none, and would have eliminated another major risk of spreading / catching the covid-19 disease...

Any thoughts…?

While respiratory viruses can be spread from surface contamination, it is much less of a concern.  The CDC says it "does not spread easily" from touching surfaces.  I think the measures they took were appropriate.  We could always do more to be more safe, but at some point we have to realize we can't live in a bubble for ever.  Think of all the door knobs and common surfaces you touch on a daily basis at the grocery store and at work, etc?  It is not ideal, but the alternative is not sustainable.  Good hand hygiene, social distance, small groups, and wear masks.  I don't know if we can realistically expect much more than that. 

1 hour ago, pogi said:

While respiratory viruses can be spread from surface contamination, it is much less of a concern.  The CDC says it "does not spread easily" from touching surfaces.  I think the measures they took were appropriate.  We could always do more to be more safe, but at some point we have to realize we can't live in a bubble for ever.  Think of all the door knobs and common surfaces you touch on a daily basis at the grocery store and at work, etc?  It is not ideal, but the alternative is not sustainable.  Good hand hygiene, social distance, small groups, and wear masks.  I don't know if we can realistically expect much more than that. 

I miss the days when I could go around licking doorknobs. Now I have to carry my own around with me.