Seriously No Politics ×

Serious Risk of Covid-19 Being Spread at General Conference

Despite all the excellent measures being taken during this General Conference to stop the spread of the corona virus, there’s still something very major that wasn’t thought of: the PULPIT

As you may have noticed, all the speakers have been using the same single pulpit. In doing so, thousands of droplets from their mouths have been contaminating not only the pulpit but also the microphone. Almost every single speaker, if not all, has been leaning on the pulpit and touching it with their hands as well.

Can you imagine the enormous health risk that all this entails?

Wouldn't it have been wiser to have two pulpits so that, when one was being used, it would give enough time to disinfect the one that was just used?

This act would not have interfered with the audience, as there is none, and would have eliminated another major risk of spreading / catching the covid-19 disease...

Any thoughts…?

5 minutes ago, amo said:

Despite all the excellent measures being taken during this General Conference to stop the spread of the corona virus, there’s still something very major that wasn’t thought of: the PULPIT

As you may have noticed, all the speakers have been using the same single pulpit. In doing so, thousands of droplets from their mouths have been contaminating not only the pulpit but also the microphone. Almost every single speaker, if not all, has been leaning on the pulpit and touching it with their hands as well.

Wouldn't it have been wiser to have two pulpits so that, when one was being used, it would give enough time to disinfect the one that was just used?

This act would not have interfered with the audience, as there is none, and would have eliminated another major risk of spreading / catching the covid-19 disease...

Any thoughts…?

Of course stricter measures might have been taken, but the participants were probably screened which is  also a reasonable measure.

6 minutes ago, amo said:

Any thoughts…?

I would have preferred they each say their talk at their homes, honestly. I wonder if they still meet together in meetings?

Oh, nooooooooooo!!!!!

We're/they're all going to contract COVID-19, and when we/they contract COVID-19, we're/they're all going to DIE ... IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!

Yes, COVID-19 is serious.  Yes, a sizeable proportion of the people who contract it are going to become ill.  Yes, a certain proportion of those who become ill with COVID-19 are going to die from it.  But if the unprecedented measures accompanying this General Conference aren't enough to prevent or to contain its spread, we might as well all simply go about our business as usual: If we get it, we get it; if we become ill, we become ill; and if we die, we die.

If we're limited to [X], wouldn't it be better to be limited to [X+1]?  If we're limited to [X+1], wouldn't it be better to be limited to [X+2]?  If we're limited to [X+2], wouldn't it be better to be limited to [X+3]?  And on to [X + ]  After all, it's impossible to be too careful!

:rolleyes:<_<:huh:

Edited by Kenngo1969
56 minutes ago, amo said:

Any thoughts…?

When one takes into consideration the fact that Utah isn’t exactly a hotbed of Coronavirus infections at the moment (about 1,500 cases as I write) and that Utah’s population is 3.22 million, that means only 4 one hundredths of 1% of the state’s population is presently infected. And when you add into the mix that there are lots of safety and screening measures going on behind the scenes, such as disinfecting the podium during each recorded choir performance, and the chances of participants getting infected at the broadcast location are very low. While there’s always a remote chance it might happen, the Church leaders decided the spiritual well-being of the Church at large is worth taking the slight risk.

Edited by teddyaware

I know nothing about epidemiology, and, of course, fools rush in where angels fear to tread, but I'm gonna go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out on a limb here and say that I'm pretty sure (I'm not entirely certain, mind you, but I'm pretty sure) that you're not going to contract the virus through your television, through your radio, or over the Internet.

14 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I know nothing about epidemiology, and, of course, fools rush in where angels fear to tread, but I'm gonna go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out on a limb here and say that I'm pretty sure (I'm not entirely certain, mind you, but I'm pretty sure) that you're not going to contract the virus through your television, through your radio, or over the Internet.

It depends, is your antivirus software up to date? If not, you might be at risk.

1 hour ago, amo said:

You are correct.  If you see "enormous health risks", they are probably imagined.

In order to measure the risk, you would need to know these factors:

What are the odds that an individual speaker has been infected with Covid-19?

Since no speaker appears to be symptomatic, what are the odds of a speaker being infected but non-symptomatic and producing "viral droplets" to such a degree that they create a viral residue on the pulpit?

Assuming that such a risk of contagion has been created on the pulpit or microphone, what's the risk of the virus surviving to the degree that a subsequent speaker could come in contact with the surface and transfer that contagion to their hands?

Assuming that a speaker transferred the contagious viral droplets to their hands, what are the odds that they touch their eyes, nose or mouth in such a way that the contagion can be given host in their body before washing their hands? (Having each speaker wipe their hands with a disinfectant wipe following their talk would mitigate this risk.)

And even accounting for their advanced ages, assuming they do transfer the contagion and get infected, what are the odds they get a major infection compared to a mild one?

Do the math on this and let us know what the actual risk is and how "enormous" it is.

If you're that worried about what's happening at General Conference, this is going to send you into the next galaxy with apoplexy

image.jpeg.c2d55a20b237d12c560fc3176d243717.jpeg

The facetiousness of my comment was lost on you.

The Brethren are adored by those who take care of their needs.  You don't think the apparatus are not cleaned with every use?

We are responsible for my MIL.  No one else has been allowed in our living space for more than a month.  We still clean daily behind one another several times a day.

Edited by JamesBYoung

Nehor left out the bolded in the full post.  "The facetiousness of my comment was lost on you.  The Brethren are adored by those who take care of their needs.  You don't think the apparatus are not cleaned with every use?  We are responsible for my MIL.  No one else has been allowed in our living space for more than a month.  We still clean daily behind one another several times a day."

. . . which allows him to take it out of context.  I just will skip reading his comments from now on.

Far more importantly, we need the Sisters back for the floral decorations.

What the new LDS Church proclamation says

49 minutes ago, GingerRed said:

Oh for Pete's sake....you think that God won't protect His prophets??  Please....

So then, since he's a doctor and a prophet, let him go to NY and give a hand,  in 1 of the many hospitals where hundreds are dying... Please...!