This is from Lesson 10 (Religion 250 manual).

38 – (Students may use different words, but they should understand that the only way we can return 
to live with Heavenly Father is by following Jesus Christ.)

Is it ok to follow Jesus Christ by remaining unmarried so you can serve God in singleness (as he
taught in Matthew 19:12)?

Thanks

Tony

4 hours ago, marineland said:

38 – (Students may use different words, but they should understand that the only way we can return 

Is it ok to follow Jesus Christ by remaining unmarried so you can serve God in singleness (as he

Thanks

Tony

I want to make sure I understand correctly so I know how to spend my time on this. 

Are you truly wanting to know if it is ok to follow Jesus by being unmarried or do you have some thoughts on the matter that you are wanting to discuss?

Also, do you mean intentionally unmarried?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, marineland said:

Is it ok to follow Jesus Christ by remaining unmarried so you can serve God in singleness

We are to follow Jesus to the best of our ability according to our circumstances. 

3 hours ago, marineland said:

(as he taught in Matthew 19:12)?

Remaining unmarried isn't the focus of his discourse in the context of Matthew 19:3-12, but it may be necessary in some circumstances.  In fact, in those verses Jesus reinforced the original teaching about marriage that was given “from the beginning”, and taught  that man should not try to undo that which “God hath joined together".  His comments in verse 12 are addressed to the circumstances described in the preceding verses about divorce and those described within verse 12.  So he is not teaching that remaining unmarried is better in all circumstances, but that marriage may not be for everyone.   

5 hours ago, marineland said:

Thanks

Tony

How do you know whether Jesus was married or not? Wouldn't you need to know that first?

5 hours ago, marineland said:

No.

6 hours ago, marineland said:

It's a bit difficult to separate verse 12 from verse 10 and 11, or for that matter, the preceding 7 verses where Jesus seems to forbid divorce followed by remarriage. But verse 12 is bound up with these others, and must be understood in context with them.

The point being made in these verses is that from the beginning "he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh". This is in connection with the commandment "Multiply and replenish the earth." That's a commandment. You don't obey a commandment by refusing to comply with it. And how can you serve God in singleness, if you were otherwise able to comply?  Jesus explains:

12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother’s womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

The eunuchs born from their mother's womb are those who are born with congenital conditions that make marriage impractical or impossible. Those who were made eunuchs of men were those who were damaged through unrighteous or accidental behavior of themselves or others. But who would or should make themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake, especially in consideration of the implicit commandment to marry received in the Garden of Eden?  I once wondered about that, but one day it came to me, in connection with Matthew 18:8,9, wherein the Lord says

"Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire."

The Lord is saying here that if something is driving you to commit sin, it is better to cut that off from you. 

Well, what if you suffer from a sexual condition that makes it impractical for you to participate in the sexual relations that the Lord permits?  To avoid sin which would lead to hell fire, wouldn't it be best to make yourself a "eunuch," and not participate in forbidden sexual relations, in order to remain worthy of the kingdom of heaven? Verse 12 really cannot be considered an admonition not to marry for those who wish to serve the Lord.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Edited by Stargazer
20 hours ago, Rain said:

I want to make sure I understand correctly so I know how to spend my time on this. 

Are you truly wanting to know if it is ok to follow Jesus by being unmarried or do you have some thoughts on the matter that you are wanting to discuss?

Also, do you mean intentionally unmarried?

Personally I believe that one can remain single and perfectly be in tune with God's plan
for our lives.

19 hours ago, rchorse said:

How do you know whether Jesus was married or not? Wouldn't you need to know that first?

His mission on earth was not to get married, but some have hinted he was married in Cana -
supposedly he needed to be invited to his own wedding if you believe that.