General Conference

So women are getting the priesthood or learning how to appreciate it more?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Doctrine 612 said:

So women are getting the priesthood or learning how to appreciate it more?

Not sure. I personally expect it will happen at some point but I do not have an expected timeline.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RevTestament said:

I hate to burst your bubble but a vision is not necessarily a physical visit. Let's see. Paul had one which no one else saw. We are told Stephen saw God, which no one else saw. Joseph Smith never said he physically saw the Father, and in fact that contradicts scripture - that no one can see Him - at least not without being quickened. I wish the Church would stop pushing that narrative. You can feel free to harp on me all you want, but you cannot prove otherwise, because not even Joseph Smith says anything to support your physical visitation narrative. He did not call it the First Visit, but his First Vision.

When did Joseph use that specific term? Chapter and verse, please. 

Edited to add:  He called it a vision in the 1838 account (Joseph Smith — History in the Pearl of Great Price). 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Hopefully the world catches the message that the choir was prerecorded!

I sped read the scriptures that was asked of the women to read, sure had a lot about the Priesthood in them, but I just don't see it happening, I think it will be given in very small doses though.

The Hosanna shout is sure different at a conference, or is it?

It occurred at the conference when the Conference Center was dedicated. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Not sure. I personally expect it will happen at some point but I do not have an expected timeline.

Don’t hold your breath. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I can’t get on- server overload.  Someone let me know if there’s something I need to know lol. 

Sister Joy D. Jones is speaking on sisters’ role in the Restoration and taking their  “rightful and needful place” in home, community and the Church. 

53 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Women are getting the Priesthood so they need to review the requirements. :vader: 

You say this in jest but I'm starting to think they might.  The Primary President's talk plus President Nelson's request for women to study priesthood.

President Nelson likes big announcements.  But it may look different than we expect.

12 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Sister Joy D. Jones is speaking on sisters’ role in the Restoration and taking their  “rightful and needful place” in home, community and the Church. 

I like how she talked about women getting access to the priesthood through their covenants.

• Like 3

it's interesting that Pres. Nelson talked about how co-vid 19 was not what he had in mind when he said that this conference would be "memorable and unforgetable", so much for those memes................

• Like 3
Just now, Duncan said:

it's interesting that Pres. Nelson talked about how co-vid 19 was not what he had in mind when he said that this conference would be "memorable and unforgetable", so much for those memes................

I very much appreciate that he cleared that notion up! :)

11 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

You say this in jest but I'm starting to think they might.  The Primary President's talk plus President Nelson's request for women to study priesthood.

President Nelson likes big announcements.  But it may look different than we expect.

President Jones’s talk underscored for me that holding the priesthood is unnecessary for them to fulfill the great role Heavenly Father has for them. They are already endowed with priesthood power to fulfill that role. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

When did Joseph use that specific term? Chapter and verse, please. 

Which term, vision?

"I had seen a vision, I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it"

Physical presence is a visitation.  The image of the physical would be a vision.

And scripture does require ordinances for certain physical visitations, which Joseph also taught.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, boblloyd91 said:

I like how she talked about women getting access to the priesthood through their covenants.

Both male and female receive keys of priesthood in the temple.  Different from Church ecclesiastical priesthood which is more administrative.

10 minutes ago, boblloyd91 said:

I liked that too. 

Are you and I cousins?

1 hour ago, RevTestament said:

I hate to burst your bubble but a vision is not necessarily a physical visit. Let's see. Paul had one which no one else saw. We are told Stephen saw God, which no one else saw. Joseph Smith never said he physically saw the Father, and in fact that contradicts scripture - that no one can see Him - at least not without being quickened. I wish the Church would stop pushing that narrative. You can feel free to harp on me all you want, but you cannot prove otherwise, because not even Joseph Smith says anything to support your physical visitation narrative. He did not call it the First Visit, but his First Vision.

I don’t think you’ve though this through. Please carefully read each verse of the following excerpt from Ether 8 and then tell me if you think the brother of Jared was experiencing a vision or a visitation?

6 And it came to pass that when the brother of Jared had said these words, behold, the Lord stretched forth his hand and touched the stones one by one with his finger. And the veil was taken from off the eyes of the brother of Jared, and he saw the finger of the Lord; and it was as the finger of a man, like unto flesh and blood; and the brother of Jared fell down before the Lord, for he was struck with fear.
7 And the Lord saw that the brother of Jared had fallen to the earth; and the Lord said unto him: Arise, why hast thou fallen?
8 And he saith unto the Lord: I saw the finger of the Lord, and I feared lest he should smite me; for I knew not that the Lord had flesh and blood.
9 And the Lord said unto him: Because of thy faith thou hast seen that I shall take upon me flesh and blood; and never has man come before me with such exceeding faith as thou hast; for were it not so ye could not have seen my finger. Sawest thou more than this?
10 And he answered: Nay; Lord, show thyself unto me.
11 And the Lord said unto him: Believest thou the words which I shall speak?
12 And he answered: Yea, Lord, I know that thou speakest the truth, for thou art a God of truth, and canst not lie.
13 And when he had said these words, behold, the Lord showed himself unto him, and said: Because thou knowest these things ye are redeemed from the fall; therefore ye are brought back into my presence; therefore I show myself unto you. (Ether chapter 3)

Edited by teddyaware
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I liked that too. 

Are you and I cousins?

I don't know, my dad and his siblings grew up in the Holladay area. My pioneer ancestors are Susanna Stone and Thomas Lloyd if that would help as far as genealogy goes. I know Lloyd is basically the Welsh equivalent of Smith so you never know!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

I don’t think you’ve though this through. Please carefully read each verse of the following excerpt from Ether 8 and then tell me if you think the brother of Jared was experiencing a vision or a visitation?

6 And it came to pass that when the brother of Jared had said these words, behold, the Lord stretched forth his hand and touched the stones one by one with his finger. And the veil was taken from off the eyes of the brother of Jared, and he saw the finger of the Lord; and it was as the finger of a man, like unto flesh and blood; and the brother of Jared fell down before the Lord, for he was struck with fear.
7 And the Lord saw that the brother of Jared had fallen to the earth; and the Lord said unto him: Arise, why hast thou fallen?
8 And he saith unto the Lord: I saw the finger of the Lord, and I feared lest he should smite me; for I knew not that the Lord had flesh and blood.
9 And the Lord said unto him: Because of thy faith thou hast seen that I shall take upon me flesh and blood; and never has man come before me with such exceeding faith as thou hast; for were it not so ye could not have seen my finger. Sawest thou more than this?
10 And he answered: Nay; Lord, show thyself unto me.
11 And the Lord said unto him: Believest thou the words which I shall speak?
12 And he answered: Yea, Lord, I know that thou speakest the truth, for thou art a God of truth, and canst not lie.
13 And when he had said these words, behold, the Lord showed himself unto him, and said: Because thou knowest these things ye are redeemed from the fall; therefore ye are brought back into my presence; therefore I show myself unto you. (Ether chapter 3)

Right. A vision is not going to touch a physical object like a stone and cause it's physical properties to change and remain changed. God was physically there to make that happen.

11 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Which term, vision?

"I had seen a vision, I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it"

Physical presence is a visitation.  The image of the physical would be a vision.

And scripture does require ordinances for certain physical visitations, which Joseph also taught.

I was wondering about the phrase “First Vision.” But I already acknowledged in an addition to my post that he called it a vision in the 1838 account. 

The talks have been great, I think my favorite talk so far is Elder Anderson's talk. Did anyone else enjoy that one?

• Like 3

Brother Rasband’s talk on the Atonement of Jesus Christ....one of the best I have ever heard.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Right. A vision is not going to touch a physical object like a stone and cause it's physical properties to change and remain changed. God was physically there to make that happen.

I believe that just because someone sees God in what is described as a vision doesn’t mean he isn’t actually seeing God.

Edited by teddyaware
  • Like 3
18 minutes ago, boblloyd91 said:

I don't know, my dad and his siblings grew up in the Holladay area. My pioneer ancestors are Susanna Stone and Thomas Lloyd if that would help as far as genealogy goes. I know Lloyd is basically the Welsh equivalent of Smith so you never know!

Our people settled farther south in the valley. 

2 minutes ago, boblloyd91 said:

The talks have been great, I think my favorite talk so far is Elder Anderson's talk. Did anyone else enjoy that one?

I did.  I appreciated how it stirred within me a memory of my own spiritual experiences.  Everyday life and mundane worries and struggles have a tendency to put me into a state of forgetfulness — and ingratitude.  It is good to be reminded how good, how kind the Lord has been to me.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

I believe that just because someone sees God in what is described as a vision doesn’t mean he isn’t actually seeing God.

Absolutely.  Joseph definitely saw God. The question is whether the Father and the Son were physically in the grove with Joseph or spiritually displaying their image to him.

Either way it was actually God he saw and it only matters to the understanding of the related principles.