Adjustments to Missionary Assignments

I talked to the elders and all of the international missionaries are home( like 4 or 5 they know of) but they are expecting Canadian missionaries who served abroad in a few weeks

I am grateful they are giving the option of being released and returning.  I was hoping they would offer that.  It is too much, imo, for the Church to find services enough to motivate and create a sense of purpose in all returning missionaries that have a good chance of being ordered to stay at home longer than the two week self quarantine.  Some won't be able to selfdiscipline when staying with family that constantly interrupt any sort of missionary routine.  A missionary might need to stay in their own room to avoid TV, for example, that other family members are watching.  It would be a shame to set a missionary up for failure when they are trying to fill a full mission as they committed to.

However, skills learned will be relatively easily refreshed if returning in a year or year and a half and this will help missions to adjust back into full services rather than having to start from scratch with all newbies.

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2

I have a son who will be graduating next year and is raring to go. I hope things will have settled down by then to the point that he won't be hindered.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I have a son who will be graduating next year and is raring to go. I hope things will have settled down by then to the point that he won't be hindered.

Are missionaries still allowed to go if they have the appropriate protective masks?

19 minutes ago, marineland said:

Are missionaries still allowed to go if they have the appropriate protective masks?

at least here they are stuck inside their apartments and are basically forbidden from having any contact with anyone, they go shopping and that stuff and then go to the Church to work online

50 minutes ago, marineland said:

Not in my area. They are obeying the shelter-in-place order and, since the mission sent home 49 missionaries the other night, they are covering 4 wards by doing electronic lessons. 

Edited by Ginger Snaps
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, marineland said:

My guess is there won’t be any new calls issued until some degree of normalcy is attained. 

14 hours ago, Duncan said:

at least here they are stuck inside their apartments and are basically forbidden from having any contact with anyone, they go shopping and that stuff and then go to the Church to work online

I wonder if giving the Elders a desktop would be helpful. I might look into that. I know the Elders have been using the clerk computer. I don't have a spare lying around but it would not be hard to get one so they do not have to travel to the chapel. I would go nuts trying to work entirely off phones and maybe a tablet.

• Like 1
On 4/1/2020 at 2:25 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

We're still waiting on word about my son in Peru.  He's still on lockdown and in the remotest mission in the Peruvian amazon, so we're hoping and praying.  He's been out 20 months, and was planning to go to school this fall, so he's done as soon as he gets home.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I wonder if giving the Elders a desktop would be helpful. I might look into that. I know the Elders have been using the clerk computer. I don't have a spare lying around but it would not be hard to get one so they do not have to travel to the chapel. I would go nuts trying to work entirely off phones and maybe a tablet.

I think the church computers have better control on what sites can be accessed.

4 hours ago, Sevenbak said:

We're still waiting on word about my son in Peru.  He's still on lockdown and in the remotest mission in the Peruvian amazon, so we're hoping and praying.  He's been out 20 months, and was planning to go to school this fall, so he's done as soon as he gets home.

Have you had contact from him?