Seriously No Politics ×

The Boy Joseph Smith as a Type of Christ?

1 hour ago, Navidad said:

Yes oh wow yes. Here we go again divided by a common language. I have often thought that some of the concepts in LDS beliefs are unique. It never dawned on me to consider (duh!) that if Joseph Smith and his immediate followers had not come up with them, they wouldn't today exist. They are not all uniquely LDS; some of course have basis in much earlier traditions as well. Thanks again for helping me understand. That really helps. I have often thought of trying to understand this by equating salvation and sanctification to the LDS concept of salvation and exaltation, but that is imperfect as well. I think it comes down to the difference between "like" and "as" God. Thanks again. I still like the "Seven Thunders" part for a book title. I can just see the cover photo now - really powerful! 

😁

On 3/26/2020 at 9:56 AM, Storm Rider said:

I have grown more simple as I have aged and these types of things have lost their sparkle. I tend to reject the concept of "type". Joseph was just a man that was willing to serve God. The Savior was the Son of God and chose to take upon himself the sins of the world. There is no comparison between the two. One is a member of the Godhead and the other a mortal man. 

But every martyr to the cause of Christ is, in some sense at least, a type modeled after Christ. We do not foreshadow Him, but we submit as He submitted, following His example.

On 3/26/2020 at 2:57 AM, Broker said:

Since we are focusing on the restoration and in particular the experiences of Joseph Smith, has anyone considered young Joseph's leg operation as a type of Christ?

You want critics to stop claiming that LDS worship Joseph Smith, then a thread like this pops up. Three steps back.

1 hour ago, Thinking said:

You want critics to stop claiming that LDS worship Joseph Smith, then a thread like this pops up. Three steps back.

I think the accusation is silly, in spite of threads like this.  The reality is that critics will twist whatever they want, however they want, simply to try to make us look bad, no matter what we do.

Think about it.  How many of the critics would agree with the following?

I could list others.  But would it even cross the mind of our critics that they would be worshiping Joseph (who was sold into Egypt) or Moses, or David, if they consider the idea that each of those men are a type of Christ?  Of course not.  So why should we care what the critics think?  They will do what they always do.  But they will look like double-standard hypocrites if they try to do it based on the topic of a thread like this.  I say, go for it.