Seriously No Politics ×

Jesus Was Gay?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-twisted-fate-for-men-who-claimed-jesus-was-gay?ref=home
'In truth, as Petrey says, “the ambiguity of the evidence of Jesus’s sexuality is enticing to speculate about not just because it is an unanswerable mystery, but because we tend to think that the answer unlocks some great truth about religion, sex, and ourselves.”' Admittedly I disagree with the sentiments in the above quote expressed by the words like "enticing", "speculate", and "unanswerable mystery".

I must have been out of tune to not notice since a quick internet search shows articles like this popping up every few years. Even a fun wikipedia page on the subject (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexuality_of_Jesus) which also has a short section on early LDS views of Christ being a polygamist.

1 hour ago, Nofear said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-twisted-fate-for-men-who-claimed-jesus-was-gay?ref=home
'In truth, as Petrey says, “the ambiguity of the evidence of Jesus’s sexuality is enticing to speculate about not just because it is an unanswerable mystery, but because we tend to think that the answer unlocks some great truth about religion, sex, and ourselves.”' Admittedly I disagree with the sentiments in the above quote expressed by the words like "enticing", "speculate", and "unanswerable mystery".

I must have been out of tune to not notice since a quick internet search shows articles like this popping up every few years. Even a fun wikipedia page on the subject (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexuality_of_Jesus) which also has a short section on early LDS views of Christ being a polygamist.

There are multiple clues in the Bible that suggest He was married. Both what is said and what is not said.

45 minutes ago, Lemuel said:

Everyone wants Jesus to be whatever they are.  Gay, polygamist, black, dentist, whatever.

Indeed, that was part of the concluding point of the article. I tend to side more with C.S. Lewis's perspective. Christ, after all, is not a tame lion.

“When you come to knowing God, the initiative lies on His side. If He does not show Himself, nothing you can do will enable you to find Him. And, in fact, He shows much more of Himself to some people than to others—not because He has favourites, but because it is impossible for Him to show Himself to a man whose whole mind and character are in the wrong condition. Just as sunlight, though it has no favourites, cannot be reflected in a dusty mirror as clearly as in a clean one.” —from Mere Christianity

26 minutes ago, JAHS said:

There are multiple clues in the Bible that suggest He was married. Both what is said and what is not said.

This.  He was absolutely married.

Beyond the fact that it is just a secular amusement piece, I have no time for mindless, baseless and mundane speculation. I also believe that Christianity as a whole have trivialized and discredited the name and face of God in the last hundred years like never before. If you read one you have read them all. People have lost the ability to discern the attributes of God; they have no sense of the Holy and thus involve themselves in these vane, repugnant diatribes..   

1 hour ago, Lemuel said:

Everyone wants Jesus to be whatever they are.  Gay, polygamist, black, dentist, whatever.

dentist?

Garner Ted Armstrong used to portray Jesus as a well-dressed and well-coifed businessman -- a contractor, who wore a Roman toga and had short hair, Roman style.

Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice portrayed him as a superstar of a rock opera (1970).  The movie shot on location in Israel, even including Israeli soldiers and tanks.

Stephen Schwartz had him as a hippie in another musical, "Godspell" (1971).

The only film I have seen which does Jesus justice is "Risen" (2016),

27 minutes ago, Lemuel said:

I agree.  I get nervous about the implications if He had children though.

Not sure why?  All of us hope to be his children in eternity.  He didn't start his ministry till his 30s.  From age 12-30 he was doing something.

52 minutes ago, Lemuel said:

Why? I think the underlying concern for most is that they cling to the Catholic* notion that sex with a wife would somehow disqualify Him as sinless. I've heard some say that his children would then be "demi-gods," but this also doesn't follow. His children would simply be 100% mortal; they wouldn't somehow be "part immortal." They weren't recognized as God in the pre-existence, foreordained, Firstborn spirits, top intelligence, etc. He would simply be the father of their temporal bodies.

*Gnostic, really, with the teachings of physical=evil; spirit/ineffable=good; hence, the goal is to free oneself of all of the taint of the physical. There are echoes of this in the Catholic case for celibate clergy. 

Edited by rongo
31 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Not sure why?  All of us hope to be his children in eternity.  He didn't start his ministry till his 30s.  From age 12-30 he was doing something.

He’s probably talking about the implications of some of us having actual divine DNA. 

3 hours ago, SteveO said:

Well, whatever the equivalent was back then...

4 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

White, Republican, American... ;)

In consideration of the fact that Jesus was indeed a Caucasian (a Jew), and that through his divine power he enabled the generation of the American Founding Fathers to defeat the mighty British military in the War for American independence, that the United States of America might be founded as his base of operations in the latter-days, and further, that he has declared he is the ultimate author of the Constitution of the United States, it appears you’re not very far off base.

Edited by teddyaware
26 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

In consideration of the fact that Jesus was indeed a Caucasian (a Jew), and that through his divine power he enabled the generation of the American Founding Fathers to defeat the mighty British military in the War for American independence, that the United States of America might be founded as his base of operations in the latter-days, and further, that he has declared he is the ultimate author of the Constitution of the United States, it appears you’re not very far off base.

Lol, thanks for validating my point!

4 hours ago, Nofear said:

When you come to knowing God, the initiative lies on His side. If He does not show Himself, nothing you can do will enable you to find Him.

This is a great quote from Lewis. The corollary is "if He does show Himself, nothing others can do will enable them to deny He has done so." This is true whether we are talking about the First Vision or the revelation of Christ via the Holy Spirit to the non-LDS Christian. When it comes to knowing God, "the initiative lies on His side." That is a profound truth!

4 hours ago, Lemuel said:

Aah! The Merovingians!

10 minutes ago, Navidad said:

Aah! The Merovingians!

Jesus was/is an exemplar for all, both male and female.

I think it not accidental that a record of him being married (and children?) is suppressed. While perfect, I don't doubt but that he exhibited behaviors that were culturally specific for the time—behaviors that would not be appropriate if exhibited in another time, like today.

1 hour ago, Meadowchik said:

Lol, thanks for validating my point!

Even more interesting is Alexander Neibaur’s second hand account of the First Vision. In this account Neibaur says the prophet Joseph Smith testified that the Savior has fair skin and blue eyes. In the Doctrine & Covenants account of another of his visions of the Savior, the prophet further states that he has blonde hair. 

So if it turns out that the Savior really is fair skinned, blonde haired, blue eyed, and the ultimate authors of the limited system of government codified in the Constitution of the United States, would these things diminish him in any way in his role as the Savior of the world?. In other words, if these things turn out to be true, should they rightly prevent him from being fully embraced as the Savior of mankind?

6 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

The only film I have seen which does Jesus justice is "Risen" (2016),

What do you think of these movies of the four Gospels? I have enjoyed them very much.

Edited by Bernard Gui