First Covid 19 Death in Utah

16 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

To give you and those of your ilk another stick with which to beat the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its leadership over the head?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't? :huh::unknw:

P.S.:

My "ilk"?  Good grief.  I was asking a QUESTION.  @bluebell handled the discussion gracefully.  No idea why you couldn't follow suit.

4 hours ago, ttribe said:

My "ilk"?  Good grief.  I was asking a QUESTION.  @bluebell handled the discussion gracefully.  No idea why you couldn't follow suit.

Because I'm Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-vuhl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :diablo:

16 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I certainly never said anything like that.  But, feel free to be as hostile as you wish...totally unnecessary, but whatever makes you happy.

35 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

From what I’ve been seeing here in Oregon,  I don’t think there is such a thing as over-reacting.  I think too many are not taking this seriously.  I think the states that have been slow to enact social distancing are going to be in for an ugly wake-up call. 

5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Oh, by all means let’s shut down a diversity of voices. It’s such an American thing to do, First Amendment and all. 

• Like 2
On 3/25/2020 at 12:15 PM, Tacenda said:

I think it may have been group mentality, they saw others doing it in the airport garage, so it must be okay kind of thing. 

Also, I have a feeling there are many that are hurrying to be able to be sealed/married. My friend's daughter canceled her wedding reception that is to be done in a week or two and chose to be sealed/married earlier which took place last week, she was very sad that she couldn't have it like normal, but didn't want to put off the ability to marry in the temple. I bet that's why there were many vehicles in the parking lot, many couples thinking the same thing. 

It is quite something actually, that Pres. Nelson made it okay to be married civilly and sealed later or soon after isn't it, or those that won't be able to have it done at the temple? And just think of all the work he saved those that would have been preparing for all of the pageants normally held in the summertime. :)

ETA: I was wrong, my friend just posted on FB that it was today that her daughter married, it was in the Provo City Center temple. When I saw another photo, I'd assumed it happened last week.

"It's better to marry than to burn".

As I recall the last month or so is pretty tough. ;)

Edited by mfbukowski
On 3/26/2020 at 9:15 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

Presumably each invitee would, of necessity, have done a proxy ordinance. 

Really? We don't do that in LA.  You just go to the Chapel to wait for the couple's name to be called and then you go up to the sealing room.

8 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

"It's better to marry than to burn".

As I recall the last month or so is pretty tough. ;)

True that!

42 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Oh, by all means let’s shut down a diversity of voices. It’s such an American thing to do, First Amendment and all. 

I see this all as a nasty precedent for a lot of ...... stuff... coming down the road after everything clears up, after the vaccine etc.

Did you see all the ...stuff... they tacked onto that funding bill?

Disgraceful!

Now we get to try to roll it back- I think much of it will be virtually impossible to erase now that it's on the books.

The slide picks up speed...

Edited by mfbukowski
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Panic is even more contagious than the virus and can do a lot of harm...such as preventing the people who need the medical protection gear from getting it because panic has led to hoarding where there is no need.

This article is not telling people to disregard safety protocols even where they are saying there is overreaction, it is trying to relieve people's anxieties about death and a destruction of their way of life, imo....basically it is trying to give people a greater sense of control of their own lives.

Given my daughter's anxieties as well as my own and others I know as well as what I see as backlash rebellion and shutting down of listening to the reasonable voices along with strident ones due to seeing likely overreactions, I think calm, intelligent voices are needed.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Really? We don't do that in LA.  You just go to the Chapel to wait for the couple's name to be called and then you go up to the sealing room.

Before it was closed, Draper was welcoming people by advance appointment to come receive their own (live) endowment. Each could bring up to eight invitees to be with him or her in the endowment session. Presumably these folks would each have done a proxy ordinance during the session. 

On 3/26/2020 at 11:54 AM, ttribe said:

On 3/26/2020 at 4:11 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

On 3/26/2020 at 4:30 PM, ttribe said:

I certainly never said anything like that.  But, feel free to be as hostile as you wish...totally unnecessary, but whatever makes you happy.

Of course not.  I did.  Like I said, Eeeeeeeeeeee-vuhl! :diablo:

11 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Before it was closed, Draper was welcoming people by advance appointment to come receive their own (live) endowment. Each could bring up to eight invitees to be with him or her in the endowment session. Presumably these folks would each have done a proxy ordinance during the session. 

Duh! You are right of course, I was thinking only about the sealing 

6 hours ago, filovirus said:

We are swamped at work here in Oregon. I work for the local health department. This last week I have been calling and interviewing COVID-19 cases in the county. We have three deaths in our county already. I am just getting ready to call an 82 year old woman who is a nun that lives in a local monastery. We are all affected one way or another.

Well, it's your fault!  After all, you're a virus! ;):D

(Seriously, I know this is no laughing matter: best wishes to you, to all who work with you, and to those you're trying to help.  I can't imagine what life is like for healthcare workers in high-incidence areas. :friends:)

P.S.: Coronavirus is bad enough, but at least it's not Ebola or Marburg (which are filoviruses).

Edited by Kenngo1969
22 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I was in Spain at the beginning of the month.  When I arrived, there was not even any talk about the virus being in Spain.  Just a few cases scattered here and there.  By the time I left two weeks later, Madrid was exploding with cases.  Barcelona and other cities were becoming hot spots.  I almost didn't make it out of the country because they were closing borders and threatening to close the airport.  I haven't even been home for two weeks and Spain's death toll has now surpassed China's.  Confirmed cases of infection rose to over 8,000 in a single day on March 26th.  Two days later, an additional 19,000 new cases.  

Anyone who downplays what this virus is capable of doing, and is doing, does so at the their own peril.  I personally find the Deseret News article to be on the irresponsible side.  Everyone should be encouraged to social distance, now!  If this diversity of voices leads someone reading the article in the Deseret News and thinks all the sudden, the virus is something they don't need to worry about, then that is a real problem. I am not saying we should all panic.  What I am saying is that everyone should take this pandemic seriously.  Error on the side of caution rather than the side of best case scenario.

I guess we will see where Utah is this time next month.  Because right now, Utah is about in the same place Spain was at the beginning of March.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, california boy said:

I was in Spain at the beginning of the month.  When I arrived, there was not even any talk about the virus being in Spain.  Just a few cases scattered here and there.  By the time I left two weeks later, Madrid was exploding with cases.  Barcelona and other cities were becoming hot spots.  I almost didn't make it out of the country because they were closing borders and threatening to close the airport.  I haven't even been home for two weeks and Spain's death toll has now surpassed China's.  Confirmed cases of infection rose to over 8,000 in a single day on March 26th.  Two days later, an additional 19,000 new cases.  

Anyone who downplays what this virus is capable of doing, and is doing, does so at the their own peril.  I personally find the Deseret News article to be on the irresponsible side.  Everyone should be encouraged to social distance, now!  If this diversity of voices leads someone reading the article in the Deseret News and thinks all the sudden, the virus is something they don't need to worry about, then that is a real problem. I am not saying we should all panic.  What I am saying is that everyone should take this pandemic seriously.  Error on the side of caution rather than the side of best case scenario.

I guess we will see where Utah is this time next month.  Because right now, Utah is about in the same place Spain was at the beginning of March.

I glanced briefly at the article in question, and I saw no real indication of persons quoted therein as not taking “this pandemic seriously.”  I did see differences of opinion on how best to manage it without irreparably crashing the economy.

The chief executive is the one in charge of virus containment for our country at the moment. Some have differed with him sharply on some matters. Shall we shout them down for behaving “irresponsibly”?

I’ve heard it said that truth is the first casualty of war. Perhaps a corollary is that human rights — including freedom of speech and of the press — are among the first casualties of widespread panic.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, california boy said:

Thanks California Boy. I know that the reason for the strong voice to stay home and stay safe is to enable all of us to get back to normal. If we don't come out strong enough more people will continue to live as they have and continue to socialize and go out. Which would mean that we could be doing this for far longer had we not kicked it's behind right away. And hopefully in the very near future we will have a cure or vaccine. 

24 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I glanced briefly at the article in question, and I saw no real indication of persons quoted therein as not taking “this pandemic seriously.”  I did see differences of opinion on how best to manage it without irreparably crashing the economy.

The chief executive is the one in charge of virus containment for our country at the moment. Some have differed with him sharply on some matters. Shall we shout them down for behaving “irresponsibly”?

I’ve heard it said that truth is the first casualty of war. Perhaps a corollary is that human rights — including freedom of speech and of the press — are among the first casualties of widespread panic.

I think the following quotes are almost criminal. But that's me. The last quote by the president, is a nice thought, but won't happen unless we all stay more isolated. I don't believe we're scaring people, we need to share fun meme's, show the videos of the neighbors doing fun things, like exercising, or saying the pledge, or having parades for birthdays, or ???

"Yet she believes that the governor of Arizona was wrong when he recently ordered the closure of schools, businesses and other public spaces because of the threat of COVID-19."

“I would try to minimize spread, maximize distance, but keep facilities open because I think this is going to be a long haul,” Sunenshine said, speaking to Phoenix City Council, the Arizona Republic reported.

"Other experts have come forward this week, sharing concerns that some predictions of COVID-19’s impact amount to catastrophizing, a term used in psychology to describe thinking in worst-case scenarios. Writing in The Wall Street Journal March 24, Stanford professors Eran Bendavid and Jay Bhattacharya said there is “little evidence” that the novel coronavirus will kill millions of Americans without extreme distancing orders and quarantines, and that calculations that warn of 2 million to 4 million Americans dying are deeply flawed."

“This does not make Covid-19 a nonissue. The daily reports from Italy and across the U.S. show real struggles and overwhelmed health systems. But a 20,000- or 40,000-death epidemic is a far less severe problem than one that kills two million. Given the enormous consequences of decisions around Covid-19 response, getting clear data to guide decisions now is critical. We don’t know the true infection rate in the U.S.,” Bendavid and Bhattacharya wrote.

"President Donald Trump has said that he hopes the nation can begin to return to normalcy by Easter, April 12. This goal has been widely castigated on social media even though there are smart people who are saying much the same thing, while acknowledging that for the next year or more — until a vaccine is available — the nation will have to continue to protect its most vulnerable citizens and require isolation of people who contract the virus."

"The president, of course, is even more hopeful. “I would love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter,” he has said."

Edited by Tacenda
8 hours ago, filovirus said:

We are swamped at work here in Oregon. I work for the local health department. This last week I have been calling and interviewing COVID-19 cases in the county.

You too, eh?  I work for Salt Lake County health department and have been recruited to the infectious disease bureau since the travel clinic closed.  I’m doing case managing of Covid + cases and doing contact tracing.  We are swamped and nearly drowning (and we’re just getting started!).  I just finished a 60 hour week and get 1 day off tomorrow...hallelujah!  I’m looking forward to a nice peaceful fast. 
I am extremely grateful to have work at this time though and am so sorry to anyone who is out of work and suffering right now.  

Edited by pogi
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, pogi said:

You too, eh?  I work for Salt Lake County health department and have been recruited to the infectious disease bureau since the travel clinic closed.  I’m doing case managing of Covid + cases and doing contact tracing.  We are swamped and nearly drowning (and we’re just getting started!).  I just finished a 60 hour week and get 1 day off tomorrow...hallelujah!  I’m looking forward to a nice peaceful fast. 

Pogi, bless you. 😍 I hope you speak up more often with any information we could all use. Tonight my daughter wanted me to babysit for her possibly while they went out with a couple of friends. I asked her what happened to social distancing, and now she said they probably won't go now. Which is good, and I hope she isn't offended, but I just couldn't believe that she wanted to go out. 

ETA: Bless @filovirus as well!! I'm thankful for all of you on the lines! ❤️

Edited by Tacenda
8 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I think the following quotes are almost criminal. But that's me. 

Other experts have come forward this week, sharing concerns that some predictions of COVID-19’s impact amount to catastrophizing, a term used in psychology to describe thinking in worst-case scenarios. Writing in The Wall Street Journal March 24, Stanford professors Eran Bendavid and Jay Bhattacharya said there is “little evidence” that the novel coronavirus will kill millions of Americans without extreme distancing orders and quarantines, and that calculations that warn of 2 million to 4 million Americans dying are deeply flawed.

“This does not make Covid-19 a nonissue. The daily reports from Italy and across the U.S. show real struggles and overwhelmed health systems. But a 20,000- or 40,000-death epidemic is a far less severe problem than one that kills two million. Given the enormous consequences of decisions around Covid-19 response, getting clear data to guide decisions now is critical. We don’t know the true infection rate in the U.S.,” Bendavid and Bhattacharya wrote.

Calling for better evidence and clear data is to be considered “almost criminal”? An extreme attitude like that I find to be nearly as scary as the virus itself. 

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Calling for better evidence and clear data is to be considered “almost criminal”? An extreme attitude like that I find to be nearly as scary as the virus itself. 

Maybe it's just a quick term people use? Let's see, is negligent a better term? You know me or maybe you don't, or maybe you've noticed I am very quick on the posting. I've added even more quotes that are alarming to me. I think Governor Herbert sided with President Trump's sentiments. But now, I believe both have had their eyes opened, and I feel they won't be as sure that this thing isn't something to be taken lightly by saying things will not look good for the economy etc. 

Also, I'm sorry for the link to your former employer and being negative about it. I totally understand you and Calm's feelings on the subject, I was there probably 3 or 5 days ago. But I've quickly changed my thinking and that's why I said what I did.  

ETA: I'm sorry to be a pest Scott, just wanted to add this comment on the article below, apparently some predictions have changed, not sure to what extent, this person said this:

Oh, and apparently the Deseret News missed Dr. Neil Ferguson's tweets this morning about how his revised predictions have been misinterpreted.

"I think it would be helpful if I cleared up some confusion that has emerged in recent days. Some have interpreted my evidence to a UK parliamentary committee as indicating we have substantially revised our assessments of the potential mortality impact of COVID-19."

"This is not the case. Indeed, if anything, our latest estimates suggest that the virus is slightly more transmissible than we previously thought. Our lethality estimates remain unchanged."

"My evidence to Parliament referred to the deaths we assess might occur in the UK in the presence of the very intensive social distancing and other public health interventions now in place."

"Without those controls, our assessment remains that the UK would see the scale of deaths reported in our study (namely, up to approximately 500 thousand)."

The Deseret News should issue an immediate retraction of this article, followed by a swift apology for publishing this dangerous misinformation in the first place.

Edited by Tacenda
29 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Pogi, bless you. 😍 I hope you speak up more often with any information we could all use. Tonight my daughter wanted me to babysit for her possibly while they went out with a couple of friends. I asked her what happened to social distancing, and now she said they probably won't go now. Which is good, and I hope she isn't offended, but I just couldn't believe that she wanted to go out. 

ETA: Bless @filovirus as well!! I'm thankful for all of you on the lines! ❤️

You did the right thing Tacenda.  I won’t have much time on here to do much educating, but it sounds like you are already a pro.  I’ll have lots of stories when this is all over though.  

Thanks for the kind words!