Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

The last two times I came to this site, this page appeared and I had to click on the Accept the Risk and Continue Button.

Did anybody else see this page?

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 9.47.32 PM.png

35 minutes ago, Thinking said:

The last two times I came to this site, this page appeared and I had to click on the Accept the Risk and Continue Button.

Just accept the risk.  This board has just been installed on a new, secure server.  After your initial approval, you shouldn't get that message anymore.  In your case, it may be necessary to click on the URL as a bookmark.

Edited by Robert F. Smith
  • Like 1

Is the new server secure?  I don't remember exactly what Nemesis said, just that we were switching and there might be issues for some that would be quickly resolved.  That thread is gone so I can't check, I assume to avoid confusion.

Edited by Calm

Check the SSL Certificate

Look at the URL of the website. If it begins with “https” instead of “http” it means the site is secured using an SSL Certificate (the s stands for secure). SSL Certificates secure all of your data as it is passed from your browser to the website's server.Nov 26, 2014

https://www.digicert.com/blog/buy-site-know-website-secure/

There is an "s" there now, so looks secure.

There is also a little padlock I can't remember if it was there or not before....which I have been told was a sign of secure, but have no clue personally.

Edited by Calm

We redirected the site to a self signed certificate secure server.  So because we are using a self signed certificate it gives you a warning.  If we would have paid for a secure server certificate you would not be getting that warning.  It only needs to be answered once and it will be added to your trus.ted sites list.  We did this to ensure encryption between the site and client.  

I'm curious why Nemesis didn't get a certificate through "Let's Encrypt".  They provide free certificates and are accepted by most browsers

Because I didn’t think of it while I was setting up the server.  

13 hours ago, Thinking said:

Yes.  I wondered what was going on.

3 minutes ago, Teancum said:

Yes.  I wondered what was going on.

Same for me.  I thought the site was down.

• Like 2

After "accepting" the risk I still get a warning.  I pretty much use Chrome exclusively, and I'm a big fan of Chromebooks.

2 hours ago, webbles said:

I'm curious why Nemesis didn't get a certificate through "Let's Encrypt".  They provide free certificates and are accepted by most browsers.

All of my sites use "Let's Encrypt". Works great with every browser I've tried it on.

29 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

All of my sites use "Let's Encrypt". Works great with every browser I've tried it on.

Yeah, I have most of my sites using Let's Encrypt as well.  With the deprecation of the special UI for "Extended Validation Certificates", I think paid SSL certificates for websites is going to disappear.  And with SNI, we no longer need dedicated IP addresses to run an encrypted website.  It has made it a lot easier and cheaper to get encrypted websites.

Once I install it I’ll Post an update.  

2 hours ago, webbles said:

Yeah, I have most of my sites using Let's Encrypt as well.  With the deprecation of the special UI for "Extended Validation Certificates", I think paid SSL certificates for websites is going to disappear.  And with SNI, we no longer need dedicated IP addresses to run an encrypted website.  It has made it a lot easier and cheaper to get encrypted websites.

6 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Add it to trusted site.  

How does one do that? I'm getting the warning each time.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

It depends on your operating system.  I'd search online for "chrome auto accept self signed certificate".  You basically have to export the certificate from the site and then add it to your system's certificate list.  Each operating system uses a different certificate system.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

In Chrome I got a warning, then once I clicked on the Advanced link it took me to a Chrome window which allowed me to tell it full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes.

But Nemesis says he's going to install a certificate, so maybe you don't need to worry about it after a bit...

20 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

After "accepting" the risk I still get a warning.  I pretty much use Chrome exclusively, and I'm a big fan of Chromebooks.

Like you, I use Chrome most of the time, but after accepting the risk I didn't get any more notifications.

I also am getting the warning. I thought perhaps it was because I, as a non-member am a security risk to the forum! 😃

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Like you, I use Chrome most of the time, but after accepting the risk I didn't get any more notifications.

Right now, at the top of this page, it is warning me of a potential hazard risk 

On 3/21/2020 at 5:38 PM, Hamba Tuhan said:
On 3/21/2020 at 11:04 AM, Nemesis said:

Add it to trusted site.  

I added it to trusted sites and still get the warning. When I tell it to continue, at the top of the page there is a red   "! Not Secure" warning.

2 hours ago, JAHS said:

I added it to trusted sites and still get the warning. When I tell it to continue, at the top of the page there is a red   "! Not Secure" warning.

This should be resolved now.

Yay!