Seriously No Politics ×

Surviving Coronavirus in Style

My husband is in France and thinks he has it. He says that all the symptoms at the mild level are checked off. We're here in the UK, so it's hard for him to muddle through this alone :(

Yay, the toilet paper is out for delivery to my son and his family on his base! Everyone is still panic buying and he can’t get much in the way of paper products. I can’t believe I am tracking toilet paper! I drop-shipped him enough to last for the duration, I think. I told him today he would be toilet paper king:)

Edited by Peacefully

FYI.  Saw an interview of a researcher in the past couple of days who says he has published a study indicating a common anti-malarial drug is an effective anti-biotic for COVID-19.  Drug is Planquenil, generic  Hydroxychloroquine.  It's also unpatented.

14 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

My husband is in France and thinks he has it. He says that all the symptoms at the mild level are checked off. We're here in the UK, so it's hard for him to muddle through this alone :(

I'm sorry.  My husband had kidney stones while working in France.  Being sick and not doing well is never fun away from home when you are on your own.

1 hour ago, blarsen said:

FYI.  Saw an interview of a researcher in the past couple of days who says he has published a study indicating a common anti-malarial drug is an effective anti-biotic for COVID-19.  Drug is Planquenil, generic  Hydroxychloroquine.  It's also unpatented.

If he actually said antibiotic he is a nut.

It is a little early with limited study so far but it will probably be tried in acute cases worldwide. The side effects probably make it unwise to use generally.

14 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

That's terrible. I'm so sorry. 

Such possible medications is why delay is a good thing.  

I have heard some people suggesting healthy people under the age of 60 should intentionally get exposed while high risk are in major lockdown to get all the likely mild cases over with and then there will be less people to infect the high risk people.  I don't think enough is known about the virus yet...such as if reinfection is possible...for that to be wise at this point.

Well we have about 16 rolls of TP and a few rolls of paper towels. I didn't think panic buying was going to hit Mx because we only have 6 cases of the virus or 46 depending on who you listen to. We live on a small boat so we can't store a lot of paper products. We do have a watermaker and we can make 15 gallonns of good fresh water per day running it for 4 hours so water is not a problem.

The big problem is where we live. We are stuck here. Last winters El Nino storms brought in enough sand to block the channel to get in and out for our draft of boat. We draft 6 feet 9 inches. maximun depth at high tide leaves some shallow spots of 5 foot 9 inches. They have a dredger and were supposed to dredge for a year now. The problem is they keep shooting our dock managers.The first one was murdered last summer on the same day he lied to me and said we were going to have 2 dredgers. We had a drive by shoooting last week and our last dock manager moved far away.

I helped buy parts to get our dredger fixed and 6 months later it is still not ready to go.It'll never be ready to go. Now a new guy is supposed to dredge the channel in trade for a work boat but he was supposed to start last weeek. I haven't seen any action yet. I wonder why Heavenly Father let me pull into this palce without a huge warning? Or did I just not listen when He warned me? Or am I supposed to be here? I'm pricing a crane and truck to get out but it will be around 10k and I can't get a firm commitment. I may hire 3 boats to drag us out of here. Two tow boats and one to heel us over by the main halyard.

Any math pros here? The mast is 60 feet off the water, how much pressure will it take to lean 16 tons over to 45* and how much will I lose in draft at 45*., current draft is 6 feet 9 inches. We are slowly unloading the boat to bring the weight down. I can dump 200 gallons of water at the last hours before we try getting out.

Edited by rodheadlee
5 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Well we have about 16 rolls of TP and a few rolls of paper towels. I didn't think panic buying was going to hit Mx because we only have 6 cases of the virus or 46 depending on who you listen to. We live on a small boat so we can't store a lot of paper products. We do have a watermaker and we can make 15 gallonns of good fresh water per day running it for 4 hours so water is not a problem.

The big problem is where we live. We are stuck here. Last winters El Nino storms brought in enough sand to block the channel to get in and out for our draft of boat. We draft 6 feet 9 inches. maximun depth at high tide leaves some shallow spots of 5 foot 9 inches. They have a dredger and were supposed to dredge for a year now. The problem is they keep shooting our dock managers.The first one was murdered last summer on the same day he lied to me and said we were going to have 2 dredgers. We had a drive by shoooting last week and our last dock manager moved far away.

I helped buy parts to get our dredger fixed and 6 months later it is still not ready to go.It'll never be ready to go. Now a new guy is supposed to dredge the channel in trade for a work boat but he was supposed to start last weeek. I haven't seen any action yet. I wonder why Heavenly Father let me pull into this palce without a huge warning? Or did I just not listen when He warned me? Or am I supposed to be here? I'm pricing a crane and truck to get out but it will be around 10k and I can't get a firm commitment. I may hire 3 boats to drag us out of here. Two tow boats and one to heel us over by the main halyard.

Any math pros here? The mast is 60 feet off the water, how much pressure will it take to lean 16 tons over to 45* and how much will I lose in draft at 45*., current draft is 6 feet 9 inches. We are slowly unloading the boat to bring the weight down. I can dump 200 gallons of water at the last hours before we try getting out.

I will be praying for you, Rod.  That sounds frustrating and scary.

Introvert Heaven:

1. No gathering in groups over 10 people.  Limit contact to close family members.
  2. All ministering is to be done through phone calls or text messages.  Real visits to actual live people are highly discouraged or even forbidden.
  3. No meetings in person, but only through technology.
  4. Missionary work done through technology.
  5. Lots of reading material available to all.

As an introvert, I need to conclude this post with a guilt free smiley face :)

Edit to add:  I regret the current circumstances that make this situation mandatory.   But perhaps we can implement these policies by choice after the current circumstances improve.

Edited by InCognitus
On 3/19/2020 at 12:38 PM, rodheadlee said:

I don't think many people realize the skill and knowledge required for sailing...

GG

3 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

I don't think many people realize the skill and knowledge required for sailing...

GG 

Yeah, I out thought myself into this position.This is the channel at low tide. I need a 7 foot 3 inch tide to get out but I don't know if I can make the corner in my 43 foot boat. I have about 45 minutes to get out before the tide rolls outchannel2.thumb.jpg.f085149c1e7b4d1841a124f1a102bd83.jpg

She will be laying on her side a low tide :(

On 3/14/2020 at 10:25 PM, bsjkki said:

I'm going to post a few of my favorite memes today. 

I really do this with our cat already - I'm very allergic to her. I do pet her, but I do not touch my face after doing so, until I thoroughly wash my hands for fear of starting a sneezing attack or making my eyes water and burn.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:47 PM, The Nehor said:

Well, I have come up with a plan to ride this thing out. I have invited many of my friends and family to a large manor to ride this out. We sealed the doors and made sure no one infected can make it in. We have hoarded all the comforts of life to make sure we are well kept.

We are also having wonderful parties. Tonight we are having a masquerade themed dance. We have done up seven rooms in solid colors except for one that some lunatic did up in all black with red lights. Kind of tacky in my opinion and it seems to scare the guests and almost no one is going in there. We also added a moment of silence for the plague every hour on the hour when the clock chimes we pause until it is finished. Oh excuse me. Just had some weirdo who is dressed up as a coronavirus sufferer join the festivities. Now that kind of a costume is tacky. I am going to go have a chat with him. I will update you on how it goes.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:08 PM, The Nehor said:

I am glad a few people got the reference. I have a friend who teaches literature and mentioned they were pulling that one from being the next book covered for obvious reasons.

I do hope the reference is Edgar Allen Poe, although it has been about 40 years since I read it.