Seriously No Politics ×

Church Tweaking General Conference B/C of Coronavirus

Here:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced Thursday that it has canceled the leadership session of its April general conference and said that “members of the church living outside the United States are discouraged from traveling to the United States to attend the general conference sessions.”

The decisions are based on the continued spread of the coronavirus COVID-19. Cases are now reported in 48 countries.

“General Authorities serving outside of the United States and all Area Seventies are excused from attending the general conference in Salt Lake City,” a news release said.

Church leaders had been scheduled to hold leadership sessions for General Authorities, Area Seventies and General Officers of the church on April 2-3.

The other sessions of conference are still scheduled on April 4-5.

This is in addition to the Church transferring missionaries, closing temples, and canceling weekly worship services in some areas.

Thanks,

-Smac

33 minutes ago, 10THAmendment said:

The mass hysteria over this virus is much worse than the virus itself. 

Agreed. If you are an otherwise healthy person it's really not much worse than the flu or cold. The over reaction is wreaking havoc on my retirement account and the place where I work is running out of stock on some consumables that are made in China, because they won't ship them to us. 

Edited by JAHS

If my wife got hit with this virus she would likely die, according to what we are hearing about how bad this is for people in her condition.  I think the only thing that could possibly save her would be the power of the priesthood, if our Lord allowed her to be healed.

So, kind of scary for me, and her too.  Motivates me want to stay as worthy as I can possibly be so that I might be useful in helping to help her.  And motivates her to want to say as worthy as she can possibly be so she feels she is ready to go.

And there may even be something worse than this coming around sometime soon, with even more deadly new viruses coming.  Okay for the long term but we don't want to be without each other for very long.

I'll feel much more comfortable and relaxed when we're both resurrected and don't have to worry anymore about getting sick or having any kind of health problems.

Edited by Ahab
12 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

It is so easy to do these type of meetings via the Internet, so why not? Good thinking, good common sense thinking, not need to jet all over the world. 

Flying is fun, and the Church has enough money to pay for their airfare.  And since they need to be somewhere, why not have them all together, at least for a little while.  We just don't want to see people getting sick when they don't need to be.

40 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Flying is fun, and the Church has enough money to pay for their airfare.  And since they need to be somewhere, why not have them all together, at least for a little while.  We just don't want to see people getting sick when they don't need to be.

Flying is fun, I have spent much of my life in the air, while serving in the Army. However, commercial flying and air quality, and the colds and flus it can carry, just unnecessary right now. 

3 hours ago, 10THAmendment said:

I agree.  Its a serious disease but its not like it is bird flu which would be many times worse.  I worry for my dad and my wife parents as the population that is most at rick is the same as for the flu.  If you are old or have medical conditions, its not good.  For everyone else, its not that big of a deal. 

6 hours ago, 10THAmendment said:

I'm guessing it isn't your job to make sure the virus doesn't spread, and you won't be blamed if it turns out to be much worse than we think it is and 20/20 hindsight judges the response to have been inadequate.

6 hours ago, Ahab said:

I have had a few of those 15 or 16 hour fun sessions and they weren't all that much fun.

One was LA to Berlin. At that point it's almost doesn't matter if you go east or west.

To those saying it is nothing due to the low fatality rate that is kind of true but the flu kills more people every year than SARS did total with its much higher fatality rate. One of the reasons that less virulent diseases spread while diseases with a high fatality rate are contained is the scare factor but it is not rational. The other is that you can be infected with Coronavirus and have minor or no symptoms which allows it to spread as you cannot identify carriers. If we figure the probable death toll over the next decade of a new "flu like" virus we would probably jump on it but it is just not as scary when you figure even if you get it you probably will not die.

At this point it seems likely the virus will join the "pantheon" of worldwide diseases that kill thousands of people every year but it will mostly be the elderly and the ill so we see it as business as usual.

3 hours ago, cinepro said:

I'm guessing it isn't your job to make sure the virus doesn't spread, and you won't be blamed if it turns out to be much worse than we think it is and 20/20 hindsight judges the response to have been inadequate.

The response is often an overreaction until someone we care about dies. Then it is gross negligence. This was containable but China was being China. It probably will not be seen as the new plague of our day unless it mutates into something more deadly.

8 hours ago, Ahab said:

Flying is fun

I imagine flying would be fun but until I get my flying powers in the resurrection flying involves getting into a seat with about a 25% chance that I will end up next to someone that is so large they ooze into my seat. I am stuck in that seat for an extended period which is not healthy or fun. Domestic 2 or 3 hour flights are tolerable but going overseas.......yuck. It beats the old way of taking weeks or months on a boat but it is definitely not fun.

7 hours ago, poptart said:

Friend came back from vacation in a place that has had a few corona virus cases, he was told by his ward to not come to church a week ago.  Even his co workers are scared of him. 

One of the members of our Ward Council was in China a few weeks ago. She got quarantined in California for a week.

16 hours ago, 10THAmendment said:

I'm not sure "mass hysteria" fits.  But the outbreak appears to be worse than the 2003 event:

Thanks,

-Smac

11 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

I have had a few of those 15 or 16 hour fun sessions and they weren't all that much fun.

One was LA to Berlin. At that point it's almost doesn't matter if you go east or west.

But still a little bit of fun, though, I betcha.  Would be more fun if we didn't have to go through Homeland Security checks in the US, like we didn't use to have to back in the old days, but being up there in the clouds looking down at the Earth still gives me some pleasure from that.  I try to get a window seat whenever I can.  And then when I land I am somewhere else other than where I started and usually with a purpose in mind and the fact that I was able to go from where I was to that destination in such a relatively short amount of time also then gives me some pleasure.  In the future when I fly, after I am resurrected, I hope I'll be able to get to where I want to go even more quickly than that but I think looking at the land from the sky/heavens above and getting to wherever I am going will still give me some pleasure.

This may be the rainy day that could use some billions to help navigate and research development for this disease and others.  Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing with the many talents doctors and scientists that need help.   Perhaps this is the time for saints to call upon the priesthood power of the Prophet.  A large conference and internet connection could give the nod and consecration power of surplus at Ensign and to this with the uplift of all hands of membership.

Edited by Jeanne
12 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

This may be the rainy day that could use some billions to help navigate and research development for this disease and others.  Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing with the many talents doctors and scientists that need help.  

No really.  No matter what the Church does, its critics and dissidents can always pivot to another criticism, another way to find fault.

Nothing the Church and its members do will ever be "wonderful" to those relentlessly dedicated to finding fault with it and its members.

Perhaps this is the time for saints to call upon the priesthood power of the Prophet.  A large conference and internet connection could give the nod and consecration power of surplus at Ensign and to this with the uplift of all hands of membership.

Researching diseases is not really part of the Church's mandate.

-Smac

Edited by smac97
3 minutes ago, smac97 said:

No really.  No matter what the Church does, its critics and dissidents can always pivot to another criticism, another way to find fault.

-Smac

Yeah, but if General Conference did touch off a lot of cases in Salt Lake and others when visitors took it home with them it is not a critic coming up with criticism. It would be church leadership deliberately ignoring a potential health risk and consciously contributing to the spread of a disease. If every event is just about PR and not doing good and trying to avoid harm then we are doing it wrong.

15 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

This may be the rainy day that could use some billions to help navigate and research development for this disease and others.  Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing with the many talents doctors and scientists that need help.   Perhaps this is the time for saints to call upon the priesthood power of the Prophet.  A large conference and internet connection could give the nod and consecration power of surplus at Ensign and to this with the uplift of all hands of membership.

Why? There is not a lot to do unless someone goes all in to make a vaccine and by the time we have a vaccine there is a chance we will not need. We don’t need money. We need the political and social will to contain the disease. We are probably collectively already too late there. By April it would probably be a farcical gesture.

A smart buddy recommended this guy's take on things.

TL:DR: It looks like this thing can survive on surfaces for days, and since people can get it without being symptomatic, this'll be a global health issue for a few years.  Not apocalyptic, perhaps slightly more deadly than the flu.  A bad thing if entire population groups all get it at once, but if it takes a few years to work through, it'll be fine.  (At least, only slightly less fine than the flu.)

Edited by LoudmouthMormon
1 hour ago, smac97 said:

Nothing the Church and its members do will ever be "wonderful" to those relentlessly dedicated to finding fault with it and its members.

-Smac

So???   I do think they care about things like this....mandate or not...there are many ways to save the Children of the Lord!  They have resources and can outsource people in universities of just this one state to help.  I don't think that Jesus says...heya...that is not my job!!

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

Why? There is not a lot to do unless someone goes all in to make a vaccine and by the time we have a vaccine there is a chance we will not need. We don’t need money. We need the political and social will to contain the disease. We are probably collectively already too late there. By April it would probably be a farcical gesture.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

Why????  Because you can....sorry about the double quote.  "Because you have been given much..you, too, must give"....I gave..and all I got was a mall!

Edited by Jeanne
1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

This may be the rainy day that could use some billions to help navigate and research development for this disease and others.  Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing with the many talents doctors and scientists that need help. 

So you want the church to give more? 

These are NOT rhetorical questions.  I would really like some answers please:

When will what it is giving be enough?  What percentage of money taken in? Or dollar amount? How many focus areas (education, refugees, water etc.) will be enough?  How many charities donated to? 

Perhaps this is the time for saints to call upon the priesthood power of the Prophet.

What do you mean by this?

A large conference and internet connection could give the nod and consecration power of surplus at Ensign and to this with the uplift of all hands of membership.

Edited by Rain