Jump to content

Great Latter-day Saints Charities Map of Projects


Recommended Posts

Takes a while to load, so be patient.  Once loaded, works great for me.  Each orange dot is a location associated with projects.  Touch on the orange dot to bring up a box with location and projects.  I was checking out Zimbabwe and it went from 1 project to 6, depending on location; you can move through the projects by touching the arrow in the upper right hand corner of the location box.

http://lds-gis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=e1e8234a88604e4e8f60d0f686441ac7

  • Like 4
Link to post

Very interesting. I notice that the church isn't doing much in Australia or Siberia. Too busy hoarding cash, I guess. 😋

  • Like 1
Link to post

Thanks for sharing Calm, I'm wondering if there is a way to see it in action somehow. Difficult seeing it on a map. And wondering if it's part of the church's justserve.org site.

Link to post
4 hours ago, rchorse said:

notice that the church isn't doing much in Australia or Siberia.

Yabut, I think they are planning to ship a snow making machine to Antarctica . 🤣

Good to see all the projects. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Thanks for sharing Calm, I'm wondering if there is a way to see it in action somehow. Difficult seeing it on a map. And wondering if it's part of the church's justserve.org site.

What do you mean "in action"?

Looking at my area I know that it barely touches the surface of what is going on here.  As far as I can tell it is only about where the church has given grants or or items, not really what people are doing.  And it doesn't count where ward or stakes are doing projects with their budgets.

Which makes me curious - those who work with ward and stake budgets: is there anywhere to report what is going to charitable causes? When I did a charitable project with my cubs and RS and bought supplies with my budget money did that get reported on the computer anywhere?  If it doesn't then the church may be giving even more than reported.

I'm curious the dates that the map covers, because I know that in the last 1.5-2 years more has happened than is listed.

I also know it is really not covering Just Serve at all. While some of the places shown have JustServe projects on the site there literally 100 times the projects on it as there are on the map in my area.

One thing to keep in mind: the church provides the tool of Just Serve, but other than a project being on the site there may be no church member participation. Any charity that fits the qualifications (no fundraising, no politics erc) may be on the site and anyone who fits the qualifications for a project (some accept anyone, some will need special skills etc) may use the site.  

I would say that in this area though, the majority of the volunteers doing a Just Serve project in my area are members though in my experience because many of the churches haven't wanted to let us share the site with their members and many JS specialists are not sharing about the website much out of church.

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, Rain said:

What do you mean "in action"?

Looking at my area I know that it barely touches the surface of what is going on here.  As far as I can tell it is only about where the church has given grants or or items, not really what people are doing.  And it doesn't count where ward or stakes are doing projects with their budgets.

Which makes me curious - those who work with ward and stake budgets: is there anywhere to report what is going to charitable causes? When I did a charitable project with my cubs and RS and bought supplies with my budget money did that get reported on the computer anywhere?  If it doesn't then the church may be giving even more than reported.

I'm curious the dates that the map covers, because I know that in the last 1.5-2 years more has happened than is listed.

I also know it is really not covering Just Serve at all. While some of the places shown have JustServe projects on the site there literally 100 times the projects on it as there are on the map in my area.

One thing to keep in mind: the church provides the tool of Just Serve, but other than a project being on the site there may be no church member participation. Any charity that fits the qualifications (no fundraising, no politics erc) may be on the site and anyone who fits the qualifications for a project (some accept anyone, some will need special skills etc) may use the site.  

I would say that in this area though, the majority of the volunteers doing a Just Serve project in my area are members though in my experience because many of the churches haven't wanted to let us share the site with their members and many JS specialists are not sharing about the website much out of church.

I am finding it difficult to see what is being done, just by clicking on dots on the map, I guess. I wanted to see what's taking place exactly. ETA: I found a blog on their website that I can see the "action". 

Edited by Tacenda
Link to post
On 2/23/2020 at 8:28 AM, Tacenda said:

Thanks for sharing Calm, I'm wondering if there is a way to see it in action somehow. Difficult seeing it on a map. And wondering if it's part of the church's justserve.org site.

Just Serve is not a part of LDS Charities and would therefore not be included, I believe.  (On phone right now, so not checking)

Not sure what you mean by "in action".  Clicking on the dots and moving through the projects tells you what the project is.  If you mean videos, some are offered, but on the project pages.

edited:  for some reason missed this yesterday, I see Rain already answered.

Edited by Calm
Link to post

Interesting that there is no dot in Wuhan for COVID-19, only for wheelchair projects.  We know that they have been sending medical supplies to that area for the outbreak however. 

Link to post
23 minutes ago, pogi said:

Interesting that there is no dot in Wuhan for COVID-19, only for wheelchair projects.  We know that they have been sending medical supplies to that area for the outbreak however. 

It may be updated on a schedule or may only mark longterm projects.

I checked a dot and compared it to JustServe opportunities in the area (Emeryville, CA).  It may have had overlap, but there didn't seem to be a perfect match (LDSC was homeless, this may or may not take you straight to the Emeryville options:  https://www.justserve.org/projects )

Latter-day Saint Charities says it depends on donations and volunteers, so it is possible some of the projects are listed on JustServe.  Where applicable, would be an intelligent approach, imo.

Quote

Unique in its support structure, Latter-day Saint Charities has access to the resources of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which include funding and local volunteer support. More than one million workdays of labor are contributed each year by volunteers in support of welfare initiatives.

We sponsor relief and development projects in 195 countries and territories and give assistance without regard to race, religious affiliation, or nationality. Aid is based on the core principles of personal responsibility, community support, self-reliance, and sustainability. Largely run with volunteer labor, we operate both independently and in cooperation with other charitable organizations and governments.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 9:28 AM, Tacenda said:

Thanks for sharing Calm, I'm wondering if there is a way to see it in action somehow. Difficult seeing it on a map. And wondering if it's part of the church's justserve.org site.

I have found that the LDS "corporate effort" is quite formidable. Here in my region the Saints have great political "muscle" and sponsor art, history and restoration projects. Some are wealthy and well known. But, where actual hands are needed, in the trenches and where the work is not glamorous or publicly rewarded there are none to be found. I work with a ministry that deals with the homeless and people with substance abuse. Hundreds of volunteers come every month from every church and denomination in the area to lend a hand. Even the Mennonite Churches come to volunteer once a month. I have never seen the Saints involved in anything so far. In fact, we are so detached (at a personal level) from the community that we have become irrelevant. The fact that the wards out here are "dying" (no converts) points to the fact that we have isolated ourselves to the point that we have no influence or credibility with our neighbors. Sad.  

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Islander said:

I have found that the LDS "corporate effort" is quite formidable. Here in my region the Saints have great political "muscle" and sponsor art, history and restoration projects. Some are wealthy and well known. But, where actual hands are needed, in the trenches and where the work is not glamorous or publicly rewarded there are none to be found. I work with a ministry that deals with the homeless and people with substance abuse. Hundreds of volunteers come every month from every church and denomination in the area to lend a hand. Even the Mennonite Churches come to volunteer once a month. I have never seen the Saints involved in anything so far. In fact, we are so detached (at a personal level) from the community that we have become irrelevant. The fact that the wards out here are "dying" (no converts) points to the fact that we have isolated ourselves to the point that we have no influence or credibility with our neighbors. Sad.  

This doesn't coincide with the reports that Utah has the most service in the nation, at all. Maybe it's polls ask how many service hours they give and it means callings/tithing in church, perhaps. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2019-12-10/the-most-charitable-states-in-america

Minnesota tied with Utah for the highest volunteer rate, and Utah took the No. 1 spot for the percentage of residents who donate their time and money.

Edited by Tacenda
Link to post
6 hours ago, Islander said:

I have found that the LDS "corporate effort" is quite formidable. Here in my region the Saints have great political "muscle" and sponsor art, history and restoration projects. Some are wealthy and well known. But, where actual hands are needed, in the trenches and where the work is not glamorous or publicly rewarded there are none to be found. I work with a ministry that deals with the homeless and people with substance abuse. Hundreds of volunteers come every month from every church and denomination in the area to lend a hand. Even the Mennonite Churches come to volunteer once a month. I have never seen the Saints involved in anything so far. In fact, we are so detached (at a personal level) from the community that we have become irrelevant. The fact that the wards out here are "dying" (no converts) points to the fact that we have isolated ourselves to the point that we have no influence or credibility with our neighbors. Sad.  

Have you asked the members what they are doing?  Do they tell you everything?  

As a stake Just Serve specialist when it first started here as a pilot program I found it incredibly difficult to gather stories that I could share from our members - not because no one was doing anything, but because  those who were doing things and often a lot of things didn't want to be "seen of men".

As someone who is involved in charitable work, I am just now starting to become comfortable sharing things for that reason.  It was only when I became involved in ways where I needed to find other volunteers or donations that I started to let people know.

Also, I have found that while members in one ward or stake may not help specific charities, but another ward might or there may be a lot of members who help one charity and not another. For example, the charity I am with has a lot of members helping - but if you look at it you understand why: the 3 founders are members. And who do they most closely associate with?  Their ward and stake members. And those people may have family or friends outside of the state and so on. 

So, unless you have asked what religion the volunteers are and asked where your ward members are serving, you may miss a lot of service.  

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1
Link to post
2 hours ago, Rain said:

Have you asked the members what they are doing?  Do they tell you everything?  

So, unless you have asked what religion the volunteers are and asked where your ward members are serving, you may miss a lot of service.  

That is precisely my point; I know as a matter of course who comes and who doesn't. We depend heavily on volunteers for many of our daily tasks (the donation center, the pantry, the kitchen) so we know and have a calendar to schedule who is coming and from where. I do not question the fact that members of the church elsewhere may be active in different volunteer activities. Just that, at least in my region, as far as the work of the organization I am involved with (one of the largest non-profits in my city) the saints are not involved at all. 

I lived in CA for nearly 20 years before we moved to the Mid-West and the change in the LDS culture was drastic. Like I mentioned before, here the wards are "dying" and people are insular, withdrawn and not very engaged (not even with other members) in general. People seemed self-absorbed and rather aloof to what's taking place around them, not very motivated. In sum, that is my experience here in a city of 500K people where as far as I can see, the saints pretty much keep to themselves. 

Then as now, the church has gone through "cycles". And invariably, material wealth has an inverse effect on the faithfulness, meekness and devotion of the people of God. We see that in the BoM, time and again. We are no different. By far, the saints in the US are wealthiest people in the history of God's people by any standard. So, we tend to forget that what is happening now has happened before and will happen again. When the Savior came to His own He chastised them for not extending a hand of mercy:

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith[fullness to the commandments]: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." Matt 23:23. (emphasis added)

More or less the same Alma imputed to the people in Alma 34:28: "And now behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, do not suppose that this is all; for after ye have done all these things, if ye turn away the needy, and the naked, and visit not the sick and afflicted, and impart of your substance, if ye have, to those who stand in need—I say unto you, if ye do not any of these things, behold, your prayer is vain, and availeth you nothing, and ye are as hypocrites who do deny the faith."

I share these things with great sadness for I have no answers nor means to address the current state of affairs. I am the least of my brethren.

 

Link to post
11 hours ago, Islander said:

That is precisely my point; I know as a matter of course who comes and who doesn't. We depend heavily on volunteers for many of our daily tasks (the donation center, the pantry, the kitchen) so we know and have a calendar to schedule who is coming and from where. I do not question the fact that members of the church elsewhere may be active in different volunteer activities. Just that, at least in my region, as far as the work of the organization I am involved with (one of the largest non-profits in my city) the saints are not involved at all. 

I lived in CA for nearly 20 years before we moved to the Mid-West and the change in the LDS culture was drastic. Like I mentioned before, here the wards are "dying" and people are insular, withdrawn and not very engaged (not even with other members) in general. People seemed self-absorbed and rather aloof to what's taking place around them, not very motivated. In sum, that is my experience here in a city of 500K people where as far as I can see, the saints pretty much keep to themselves. 

Then as now, the church has gone through "cycles". And invariably, material wealth has an inverse effect on the faithfulness, meekness and devotion of the people of God. We see that in the BoM, time and again. We are no different. By far, the saints in the US are wealthiest people in the history of God's people by any standard. So, we tend to forget that what is happening now has happened before and will happen again. When the Savior came to His own He chastised them for not extending a hand of mercy:

You seem to have very different experiences than I have. I get that yours are different and I'm not going to question them, but please don't assume what you have experienced is the same as others have.

The stake that as far as I can tell is the most wealthy in my city has a very strong community of those who serve. Their bishops and stake president are strongly supportive of doing service. 

I have seen quite a few wealthy women give amazing amounts of time and money to good causes and their husbands support this.

I've seen these women invite the poor and stranger into their homes, even knowing they had lice.  Hugging them.  Feeding them. Clothing them. Taking care of medical problems. The cool thing is they work along well with those who have less than them and unless you start getting to know them better you may not know how well off they are.  

Quote

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith[fullness to the commandments]: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." Matt 23:23. (emphasis added)

More or less the same Alma imputed to the people in Alma 34:28: "And now behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, do not suppose that this is all; for after ye have done all these things, if ye turn away the needy, and the naked, and visit not the sick and afflicted, and impart of your substance, if ye have, to those who stand in need—I say unto you, if ye do not any of these things, behold, your prayer is vain, and availeth you nothing, and ye are as hypocrites who do deny the faith."

I share these things with great sadness for I have no answers nor means to address the current state of affairs. I am the least of my brethren.

 

I have reason to rejoice in the saints both poor and wealthy.  The things being accomplished today by them are incredible.  I'm sorry you are not seeing it where you live. 

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...