Jump to content

Unique to My Ward


Recommended Posts

I’ve mentioned before that I travel the US a lot.  I attend church when possible when I’m on the road.  It’s fun to see how different wards do things with some variation- 

Last Sunday the Utah ward I attended had each counselor walk off the stand during the last hymn and each take a door before the prayer so that all who exited could have a hand to shake.  I really liked that! 
 

Our ward speaking assignments are always conference talks.  Safe, but pretty dull.  My friends ward every Sunday has the topic “how I gained my testimony “.  She reports that it’s real, raw, and terrifically testimony building.  Every week! 
 

Im curious what your wards do that might be unique. 

Edited by MustardSeed
  • Like 4
Link to post

One thing different in wards is how the deacons pass the sacrament; how and where they line up and if they march in single file from the back of the chapel up to the table, etc.

sacrament.jpg.ec8a4b556b5bca6ae89fb75929fe29d0.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
17 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I’ve mentioned before that I travel the US a lot.  I attend church when possible when I’m on the road.  It’s fun to see how different wards do things with some variation- 

Last Sunday the Utah ward I attended had each counselor walk off the stand during the last hymn and each take a door before the prayer so that all who exited could have a hand to shake.  I really liked that! 
 

Our ward speaking assignments are always conference talks.  Safe, but pretty dull.  My friends ward every Sunday has the topic “how I gained my testimony “.  She reports that it’s real, raw, and terrifically testimony building.  Every week! 
 

Im curious what your wards do that might be unique. 

We did the door thing and it worked very well in finding folks with problems, questions, and issues that can come up in a casual conversation that one might not bother to take to the bishop formally

Plus you can catch that certain person you want to speak with easily, just tell the counselors who to watch out for.

Link to post
16 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:
17 hours ago, JAHS said:

sacrament.jpg.ec8a4b556b5bca6ae89fb75929fe29d0.jpg

That person looks a bit old to be the deacons quorum president ...

He must be the Bishop or Deacon's quorum adviser. 

Link to post
6 hours ago, JAHS said:

He must be the Bishop or Deacon's quorum adviser. 

I know, but it should be the quorum president. This is where we keep getting things wrong in the Church.

Link to post
16 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I know, but it should be the quorum president. This is where we keep getting things wrong in the Church.

:shok: things in the Church can be wrong?

:sorry:

Link to post
16 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

:shok: things in the Church can be wrong?

Yep. We insist on doing things according to tradition or personal preference despite what the prophets teach and ask.

As Elder Bednar said near the end of our regional priesthood leadership training meeting nearly six years ago, 'Brethren, there is far, far too much tradition in this room'.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
  • Like 3
Link to post
37 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Yep. We insist on doing things according to tradition or personal preference despite what the prophets teach and ask.

As Elder Bednar said near the end of our regional priesthood leadership training meeting nearly six years ago, 'Brethren, there is far, far too much tradition in this room'.

Tradition is such a fascinating topic.  Scripture is full of traditions we are required to keep in an unchanging form.  It also contains numerous examples of false traditions that needed to be put down.

The danger seems to come from throwing out an important tradition because its misunderstood or clinging to a harmful tradition because we always have.

Really interesting topic.

Link to post
On 1/29/2020 at 7:05 PM, Hamba Tuhan said:

As Elder Bednar said near the end of our regional priesthood leadership training meeting nearly six years ago, 'Brethren, there is far, far too much tradition in this room'.

"...now, everyone please don't take off your suit coats unless I do, remain standing until I sit down, and don't stand up until I do."

Link to post
On 1/31/2020 at 7:47 PM, cinepro said:

"...now, everyone please don't take off your suit coats unless I do, remain standing until I sit down, and don't stand up until I do."

Do they still do that at the MTC?

Link to post
On 1/29/2020 at 2:52 AM, JAHS said:

One thing different in wards is how the deacons pass the sacrament; how and where they line up and if they march in single file from the back of the chapel up to the table, etc.

sacrament.jpg.ec8a4b556b5bca6ae89fb75929fe29d0.jpg

My ward doesn't have more than a few youth AP holders, so frequently it is all MP holders who pass the sacrament. I got to do it last Sunday, for the first time in decades (we had 2 young deacons, extraordinarily), but it was rather random as to organization. I think they do it differently every Sunday. But we usually only have about 90 people in the congregation, so it isn't too random.

Edited by Stargazer
Link to post
2 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I got to do it last Sunday, for the first time in decades (we had 2 young deacons, extraordinarily), but it was rather random as to organization. I think they do it differently every Sunday.

Ideally, the deacons should be instructing the elders whom they ask to assist regarding organisation.

  • Like 1
Link to post

I have been in Wards where whichever 2  not conducting will leave the stand to shake hands. Its an old Protestant tradition. The one thing I will say, while I like it, it does slow down people leaving for class.

We have "Flash Choirs" where its announced that anyone who wants to come up and sing can do so for a choir number.

Edited by mnn727
  • Like 2
Link to post
31 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Ideally, the deacons should be instructing the elders whom they ask to assist regarding organisation.

That's how it works in my Ward, if we geezers help pass the sacrament we always ask the deacons our assigned areas.

  • Like 1
Link to post
5 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

That's how it works in my Ward, if we geezers help pass the sacrament we always ask the deacons our assigned areas.

Great! One of the things we had to tackle when I was first called as Young Men president was older men just taking over sacrament responsibilities without being assigned or asked. I know they were doing this to try to be helpful when it appeared that the Aaronic Priesthood holders were light on, but it's still not OK. This ordinance belongs to the Aaronic Priesthood.

Unless the entire deacons quorum presidency is missing for some reason, it's their job to ask and orientate helpers. And even if the entire deacons quorum presidency is missing, then the responsibility reverts to the presidency of the Aaronic Priesthood: the bishop and his counsellors.

  • Like 3
Link to post
10 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Ideally, the deacons should be instructing the elders whom they ask to assist regarding organisation.

Yes, ideally. But both deacons were themselves newly ordained.

Link to post
On 2/3/2020 at 3:51 PM, mnn727 said:

I have been in Wards where whichever 2  not conducting will leave the stand to shake hands. Its an old Protestant tradition. The one thing I will say, while I like it, it does slow down people leaving for class.

We have "Flash Choirs" where its announced that anyone who wants to come up and sing can do so for a choir number.

I like the flash or instant choir.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...