Jump to content

Clayton Christensen Passed Away


Recommended Posts

How do you see his theory of "disruptive innovation" as applied to the LDS Church?  Or does it apply at all?  Were Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and other LDS leaders "disruptive innovators"?  Is Pres Nelson a disruptive innovator?

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

 Pres Nelson a disruptive innovator?

I don't see him as inventing the next new widget. 😃 Now Pope Francis on the other hand ...

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

How do you see his theory of "disruptive innovation" as applied to the LDS Church?  Or does it apply at all?  Were Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and other LDS leaders "disruptive innovators"?  Is Pres Nelson a disruptive innovator?

To me kind of criticized or challenged the Church differently in regards to missionary work and I think he's saying the old approach doesn't work, or maybe think in new ways.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2005/02/seven-lessons-on-sharing-the-gospel?lang=eng

I think the Church is a disruptive innovator to other Christian Churches but Christensen is saying we need to keep going, keep changing. I'd say all those past leaders were innovators, as much as they could be with Christ leading the Church

  • Like 1
Link to post
4 hours ago, Duncan said:

To me kind of criticized or challenged the Church differently in regards to missionary work and I think he's saying the old approach doesn't work, or maybe think in new ways.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2005/02/seven-lessons-on-sharing-the-gospel?lang=eng

I think the Church is a disruptive innovator to other Christian Churches but Christensen is saying we need to keep going, keep changing. I'd say all those past leaders were innovators, as much as they could be with Christ leading the Church

Brilliant article by Clayton Christensen.  He certainly knows how to tell a story.

Seems to me that Joseph Smith Jr was a disruptive innovator in that he was so naive that he actually took the Bible seriously, namely James 1:5.  How odd that, even today, the evangelicals ignore that passage like the plague.

  • Like 4
Link to post
11 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

How do you see his theory of "disruptive innovation" as applied to the LDS Church?  Or does it apply at all?  Were Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and other LDS leaders "disruptive innovators"?  Is Pres Nelson a disruptive innovator?

How many of us, in our zeal to find the Elect, friendshipped people, then dropped them like a hot potato when they showed no interest in the Church.  Bro. Christensen, in his “Power of Everyday Missionaries,” showed us how to approach strangers directly with our message, rather than leave them wondering “What happened?  I thought you wanted to be friends?”

Of course, most or all prophets are disruptive innovators.  But some (President Nelson,) are more disruptive than others.  I also wonder if Clayton’s fingerprints aren’t also on the “Come Follow Me” and “Teaching in the Savior’s Way” program.  Bro. Christensen was an innovator’s innovator.  God rest his soul.

  • Like 2
Link to post
3 hours ago, sunstoned said:

I am surprised at his passing.  He always seemed to be good health.

He had a stroke a few years ago that slowed him down.  He talked about it in some of his lectures.  He looked great.  He was very lucid, but spoke slow.  He had health issues that weren’t apparent.  Even knowing that, his death was surprising.

  • Like 1
Link to post
22 hours ago, Duncan said:

Sad, and so young, great teacher and not much older than me. 

Link to post

I just spoke to my wife.  She had worked with Clayton before.  She was surprised at his passing, but said that he was struggling with some type of ailment.  It is very sad.

  • Like 1
Link to post

I liked his book innovator's solution, how will you measure your life, and power of every day missionaries.  He visited my ward and stake a few times.  After his talk at “Of One Body: The State of Mormon Singledom” I was very disturbed by the single adult activity rates Christensen quoted from his research (only 17% for women and only 8% for men).  Then I checked my own stake, and numbers were even worse, 5% for men.  We tried a few stake single adult "rescues", but of the 918 single adults in our stake at the time, only 7 - 12 were attending the single adult ward.  So we had to close it down. 
 

 

Edited by blueglass
  • Like 3
Link to post
4 hours ago, sunstoned said:

I just spoke to my wife.  She had worked with Clayton before.  She was surprised at his passing, but said that he was struggling with some type of ailment.  It is very sad.

From the DNews:

His brother, Carlton, told the Deseret News that Christensen died Thursday evening of complications from cancer in Boston, Massachusetts, where he had been a notable part of the Latter-day Saint community for over 40 years. He was considered an equally robust spiritual thinker.”

Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...