Racist Doctrine in Come Follow Me Lesson Manual Already Distributed

27 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Here is a little more nuance to the story. https://www.vox.com/2016/3/29/11325750/nixon-war-on-drugs

"But here's the thing: Nixon didn't have to be explicitly racist for the drug war to end up disproportionately hurting black people. In fact, time and time again, the story of racism in America in the past few decades has been that black people are hurt by policies that appear race-neutral because people, including law enforcement, carry all sorts of subconscious biases against minority Americans. These biases are then further compounded with longstanding systemic disparities in housing and the workplace.

This is crucial to understanding America's remaining struggles with systemic racism. It's not so much that lawmakers are publicly and explicitly racist, as they were in the past. Instead, individuals' underlying racial biases and existing systemic issues have corrupted many policies that in theory should have never led to racist results.

The reform-minded Sentencing Project stated as much in a 2015 report about Black Lives Matter: "Myriad criminal justice policies that appear to be race-neutral collide with broader socioeconomic patterns to create a disparate racial impact. Policing policies and sentencing laws are two key sources of racial inequality."

So we don't need to think Ehrlichman's claim is true to worry about the drug war's racial disparities. We know the disparities are real. The question, then, isn't necessarily figuring out the motive behind the policies, but how we can reorient those policies to prevent more disparities in America's criminal justice system. And, surprisingly, treating drugs much like Nixon did at first — as primarily a public health issue — could provide part of the answer by preventing so many disproportionate arrests for simple drug use."

The first story is quite short so read more information. I was two during the Nixon era and don't remember all the players. I do not know much about John Ehrlichman. Here is the Harper's story from your article. https://harpers.org/archive/2016/04/legalize-it-all/

And a short bio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ehrlichman

Edited by bsjkki
  • Like 1
On 6/8/2020 at 4:32 PM, Danzo said:

What system would you dismantle?

Another system that needs to be dismantled is public service Unions.

Unions exists to protect workers, and really for no other reason.

This works fine when unions negotiate with private enterprises.  If the union over negotiates, it risks having the company go out of business.  Unfortunately, Governments really can't go out of business and the unions know this, there really isn't much check on what they negotiate, the governments (and the communities) are stuck with the deals with very little input.  Often those negotiating on behalf of the government have a real conflict of interest because they often received the benefits of the contracts negotiated.

For public service unions, police unions in this case, these contracts can make it next to impossible to remove anyone.  Violent police officers remain on the job protected by theses unions. There is little to nothing anyone in the community can do about a dangerous police officer (or firefighter, or teacher). These people are extremely well protected in their jobs. 

This needs to change. 

• Like 4
15 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Here is a little more nuance to the story. https://www.vox.com/2016/3/29/11325750/nixon-war-on-drugs

"But here's the thing: Nixon didn't have to be explicitly racist for the drug war to end up disproportionately hurting black people. In fact, time and time again, the story of racism in America in the past few decades has been that black people are hurt by policies that appear race-neutral because people, including law enforcement, carry all sorts of subconscious biases against minority Americans. These biases are then further compounded with longstanding systemic disparities in housing and the workplace.

This is crucial to understanding America's remaining struggles with systemic racism. It's not so much that lawmakers are publicly and explicitly racist, as they were in the past. Instead, individuals' underlying racial biases and existing systemic issues have corrupted many policies that in theory should have never led to racist results.

The reform-minded Sentencing Project stated as much in a 2015 report about Black Lives Matter: "Myriad criminal justice policies that appear to be race-neutral collide with broader socioeconomic patterns to create a disparate racial impact. Policing policies and sentencing laws are two key sources of racial inequality."

So we don't need to think Ehrlichman's claim is true to worry about the drug war's racial disparities. We know the disparities are real. The question, then, isn't necessarily figuring out the motive behind the policies, but how we can reorient those policies to prevent more disparities in America's criminal justice system. And, surprisingly, treating drugs much like Nixon did at first — as primarily a public health issue — could provide part of the answer by preventing so many disproportionate arrests for simple drug use."

The first story is quite short so read more information. I was two during the Nixon era and don't remember all the players. I do not know much about John Ehrlichman. Here is the Harper's story from your article. https://harpers.org/archive/2016/04/legalize-it-all/

And a short bio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ehrlichman

I was 16 17 and 18 during Nixon's Administration. It was a felony to get caught with any amount of marijuana.

• Like 2
On 6/8/2020 at 4:32 PM, Danzo said:

What system would you dismantle?

One more system that needs to be changed is the current system of safety net programs.

What people don't  seem to realize is that almost all of these programs use the same income ranges to qualify. The result (which may be intentional or not) is that poor people are heavily punished for earning income.

I see this on a daily basis in the tax business.  Often a poor person gets hits with marginal effective tax rates of almost 70% (Marginal tax rates + Self employment Tax+ State income tax+ Loss of Earned Income Credit+ Loss of premium assistance credit+ loss of retirement savings credit, eligibility to deduct student loan interest etc). this is just what is on the person's tax return.  When combined with loss of benefits from from other programs not administered by the IRS (SNAP, Free school Lunches, Section 8 housing, Medicaid, etc)  you can easily exceed a 100% effective marginal rate on income. This is a huge punishment for earning income. America's wealthiest people usually can get away with less than 50% marginal effective tax rates (some of the more wealthy around 30%)

How do we expect these people to ever escape poverty with such heavy punishment for earning money!

Edited by Danzo
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Just tried to find the Gospel Topic Essay on blacks and the PH. It's not there,  along with the polygamy essay. Am I doing it wrong or does anyone else have this problem?

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/manual/gospel-topics-essays/race-and-the-priesthood?lang=eng

I believe the urls changed about 6 - 8 months ago. Don't have time at the moment but from what I recall on a different discussion board the essays are still available; just at a different location.

• Like 1

Here is the current link.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics-essays/race-and-the-priesthood?lang=eng

Notice the “study”....they divided the main headings into fewer divisions (4). Then those are each divided into a few divisions (4, 4, 2, 4). Then one ends up at a page with lots of subtopics each with a picture identifying it Adds a few more steps, but perhaps it looks better on a phone, less text and more consistent visual treatment.  

But I am not fond of the pictures and would prefer straight text as quicker to scan through and less distraction.

I can’t remember where I heard it, but iirc they use interns to do a lot of the programming work...which if true is great for the interns and keeps costs down for the Church, but then they mess stuff up, like ‘forwarding’ old URL’s to the new ones. 

And considering how often they are changing the website these days....it is kind of frustrating. 

Edited by Calm
30 minutes ago, Calm said:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics-essays/race-and-the-priesthood?lang=eng

Notice the “study”....they divided the main headings into fewer divisions (4). Then those are each divided into a few divisions (4, 4, 2, 4). Then one ends up at a page with lots of subtopics each with a picture identifying it Adds a few more steps, but perhaps it looks better on a phone, less text and more consistent visual treatment.  

But I am not fond of the pictures and would prefer straight text as quicker to scan through and less distraction.

I can’t remember where I heard it, but iirc they use interns to do a lot of the programming work...which if true is great for the interns and keeps costs down for the Church, but then they mess stuff up, like ‘forwarding’ old URL’s to the new ones. 

And considering how often they are changing the website these days....it is kind of frustrating. 

Is it bad if I suspect the church knows how damaging these are?

Edited by Tacenda
45 minutes ago, Calm said:

Have you gone to the church website and searched "gospel topics essays" yet? What should I put in? Because the search doesn't work, it just shows "error". 

25 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Have you gone to the church website and searched "gospel topics essays" yet? What should I put in? Because the search doesn't work, it just shows "error". 

On the gospel library app they are under “topics”. Maybe that will help. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

The church’s website search function is horrible. Has been for a long time. But google works great, so they probably think it isn’t necessary. But generally typing in a title brings up the item. 

If you search on the church’s search function “race and the priesthood” or “blacks and the priesthood”, the correct url comes up. 

Searching on “Gospel topic essays” also works. 

Edited by Calm
3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Are you sure you typed in the correct words?  Because it works fine for me. 

added:  looking at the options, the first and second links are the correct ones, the third and fourth are the old ones. Depending on what algorithm they are using, it is possible I am guessing that for some that might not be the order they appear. 

Edited by Calm
35 minutes ago, Calm said:

Are you sure you typed in the correct words?  Because it works fine for me. 

added:  looking at the options, the first and second links are the correct ones, the third and fourth are the old ones. Depending on what algorithm they are using, it is possible I am guessing that for some that might not be the order they appear. 

Have you clicked on the blacks and the PH and plural marriage? They don't show up for me, just forward and back arrows in blue on the left side. I did as bluebell said and put "essays" in the app in my phone and it came up finally until I clicked on those that I mentioned. The BoA and accounts of the First Vision came up though. But not the other two. Do they come up for you?

Edited by Tacenda
2 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Have you clicked on the blacks and the PH and plural marriage ones? They don't show up, just forward and back arrows in blue on the left side. I did as bluebell said and put "essays" in the app and it came up finally until I clicked on those that I mentioned. The BoA and accounts of the First Vision came up though. But not the other two. Do they come up for you?

If you are using the old link without study in its url, it doesn’t work. Are Mormons Christians doesn’t work either in the old format. 

The new formatting all the links work just fine for me. 

Edited by Calm
4 minutes ago, Calm said:

If you are using the old link without study in its url, it doesn’t work. Are Mormons Christians doesn’t work either in the old format. 

The new formatting all the links work just fine for me. 

Thanks Calm, I wonder how many run into problems like I did.   

29 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Thanks Calm, I wonder how many run into problems like I did.   

Probably lots. But that doesn’t mean it is intentional or a conspiracy when the same sort of stuff happens on most websites that do content like this when updating.  I have disliked every update the Church has done because it makes it hard to find stuff until I figure out the differences and then same goes with FairMormon and the universities and health sites I frequent. Once I figure our the new style, it is no big deal. 

It is why I use google to search websites, as that is much more consistent.  But even with them I have lost websites as the algorithms have changed and they no longer get pulled up like they used to...or at least not buried in new sites.

FairMormon has had the same sort of issues when we have changed formatting and sometimes it is years later someone writes in bringing it to our attention.  It is frustrating and embarrassing and it gets fixed when we find out, but it isn’t worth it to visit every old and new page to ensure there are no glitches.  The Church’s website is massive and they have limited workers. Who wants to pay workers to fix stuff that mostly works and will work if people are patient and try a variety of things rather than jumping to the conclusion the Church is hiding stuff or something else.

Edited by Calm