Seriously No Politics ×

Is Apathy Bad?

poptart

11 minutes ago, rpn said:

Well it is the opposite of being anxiously engaged (which is the obligation/opportunity of a disciple of Jesus Christ, and which arguably enriches one's life with people and ideas and goodness).

I don't believe in those things so it really doesn't apply to me.  It is kinda fun to watch idiots do dumb things, my police scanner provides me with great entertainment when I have to work friday nights. 

Wow this country has a huge drug problem now, listening to police calls is a real eye opener.

2 hours ago, poptart said:

I find myself becoming more apathetic as time goes on, I'm wondering if there's a bad side to it.  Considering how my life has been and how things are I'm really starting to think its a good thing.

General apathy is REALLY bad. It is ok to be apathetic about certain topics though.

15 minutes ago, pogi said:

General apathy is REALLY bad. It is ok to be apathetic about certain topics though.

15 minutes ago, pogi said:

Mind going into more detail?  I'm working on myself and have really been taking a good look at me, polishing the inner mirror if you will.

I used to care about things  that were just dumb in retrospective...in some things when I get the "I don't care attitude, it has been a relief. 

Hugs to you Poptart...you come up with some real humdinger questions so now I ask myself whether the attitude has something to do with empathy??  Or is it the other way around? 

4 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

I used to care about things  that were just dumb in retrospective...in some things when I get the "I don't care attitude, it has been a relief. 

Hugs to you Poptart...you come up with some real humdinger questions so now I ask myself whether the attitude has something to do with empathy??  Or is it the other way around? 

At the now what point in my life.  7 years of really ugly family infighting, death of an uncle and finding out the one drop rule applied to me.  Reconnected with the other half, had to wait for my father to die, he caused so much trouble and would not quit.  Here i am older and now asking questions.

6 hours ago, poptart said:

I find myself becoming more apathetic as time goes on, I'm wondering if there's a bad side to it.  Considering how my life has been and how things are I'm really starting to think its a good thing.

Health eventually deteriorates when you get older as you need drive to keep healthy once things start breaking down. 

I know the feeling of apathy can mimic peace, it feels better to feel numb or just not care than to hurt, but it is a trap. It is a vicious circle that spreads out and sucks meaning out of life. 

Edited by Calm
3 hours ago, Calm said:

Health eventually deteriorates when you get older as you need drive to keep healthy once things start breaking down. 

I know the feeling of apathy can mimic peace, it feels better to feel numb or just not care than to hurt, but it is a trap. It is a vicious circle that spreads out and sucks meaning out of life. 

So far my health is fine, im pretty active.  I go out of my way to avoid toxins, people tend to be high on the list, that and loud bratty kids.

Think with me it's all cumulative from what I've had to go through, that and not only getting older, finally changing gears after having to spend all those years with family infighting.  It sucks, 7 years of pointless pitiless infighting that ended with the death of a really bad relative, an uncle and the fallout from it all.  People disgust me.

12 hours ago, Calm said:

It's difficult to care and dangerous to not care! Thus it becomes a job to manage caring about things. I like the visualisation of a triage system, it helps me care without being overwhelmed by caring as opposed to not caring at all.

Loving and caring about things is one of the greatest joys in life so yeah, I would say generalized apathy is bad. If I ever get this charity gift where I love everyone I think apathy vanishes with it. That sounds exhausting having to care about everyone on that level which is probably do not have the gift to love everyone that way yet though I do love many people at that level.

For most other people I am a well-wisher in this sense:

Apathy is often a defense mechanism to avoid being hurt. That being said some people get confused thinking that caring means having to be involved in something and you end up with the busybodies Paul warned us about not becoming. I care deeply about a friend struggling with infertility but interjecting myself or trying to fix the problem by offering solutions or whatever would probably make me a weirdo, or in my specific case, more of a weirdo.

22 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Loving and caring about things is one of the greatest joys in life so yeah, I would say generalized apathy is bad. If I ever get this charity gift where I love everyone I think apathy vanishes with it. That sounds exhausting having to care about everyone on that level which is probably do not have the gift to love everyone that way yet though I do love many people at that level.

For most other people I am a well-wisher in this sense:

That's beyond me i think, that and i kinda dislike people in general, they suck.

22 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Apathy is often a defense mechanism to avoid being hurt. That being said some people get confused thinking that caring means having to be involved in something and you end up with the busybodies Paul warned us about not becoming. I care deeply about a friend struggling with infertility but interjecting myself or trying to fix the problem by offering solutions or whatever would probably make me a weirdo, or in my specific case, more of a weirdo.

St. Paul?  The dude who had st. Stephen killed?  I can appreciate his Hellenistic influence but meh.  I've really been getting back into buddhism tbh, i had it around me growing up and i just fit in better. 

19 hours ago, strappinglad said:

meh 

*shrugs shoulders.

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

aa0bb0d5d3e4276d38bb9f537fc934df7bfec954

I've always gone between true neutral or chaotic neutral, with me no longer bothering with Christianity and having finally returned to my Buddhist/heathen roots it's even more reinforced.  Silly morals and religious rules are outside of sphere of concerns and worries. 

I always think of Guts from Berserk, that about sums up my idea on morals lol.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:13 AM, poptart said:

I get it. You have had a lot of pain in your life and you have put up walls around your heart--perfectly normal defense mechanism. I have tried to do that somewhat with a family member who I love very deeply but who has caused me so much grief and pain. Trying to care less for loved ones  doesn't work for me. I just have to take the pain and live for the times my baby is stable. 

10 hours ago, katherine the great said:

I get it. You have had a lot of pain in your life and you have put up walls around your heart--perfectly normal defense mechanism. I have tried to do that somewhat with a family member who I love very deeply but who has caused me so much grief and pain. Trying to care less for loved ones  doesn't work for me. I just have to take the pain and live for the times my baby is stable. 

It's more than that, it's the harm that's been done plus the costs from the backstabbing and having those I thought were close turn their backs on me.  It literally almost cost a few people their lives.  I'm doing what I have to do because no one else will, is what it is.  Unless you're one of the fortunate few who has family and resources, that's just how things are and in my opinion will continue to be life.  Adapt or perish, it's that simple. 

2 hours ago, katherine the great said:

The law of nature!

I prefer one of the highest Buddhist laws there is, cause and affect, pretty much mirrors the laws of physics.  Many nowadays despise such notions as the concept of accountability and personal responsibility has flown right out the window.  People here love to make excuses but rarely work on solutions to problems they more often than not bring on themselves. 

1 hour ago, Amulek said:

Don't know - don't care. ;) 

Good one!  I'm stealing that.  Wow that's actually quite brilliant and to the point, don't know why I didn't steal that one sooner.