Seriously No Politics ×

Update on Story Re: Missing Kids (Daybell)

https://kjzz.com/news/after-2-major-developments-in-case-against-lori-vallow-daybell-whats-next

interesting info on the process of mental evaluation in a case...

A licensed clinical psychologist assessed Vallow Daybell in March and found her not competent to proceed with the case. In a rare move, prosecutors contested that finding.

"I have not, in a mere 49 years of practicing law as a prosecutor and defense lawyer, seen a prosecutor object to this kind of finding and this kind of report,” said Dave Leroy, a former Idaho attorney general, former Idaho lieutenant governor, and current private lawyer....

Two of my in-laws fit into the LVD complex, both crazy and evil. They are bi-polar, paranoid, and possibly schizophrenic. Conspiracy theorists both to the max, they believe almost everyone they have more than a little contact with are out to get their money or whatever is important to them at times. It makes one understand that such people do exist, have always existed, and that we the 'normal' people have to always be on guard.

I think LVD's attorney will drag this out forever if he can. He probably realizes LVD will never leave confinement, thus his duty as her attorney is to try to keep her in a 'better' situation than prison.

14 hours ago, Calm said:

Nate Eaton (@NateNewsNow) Tweeted:
I just received word from my attorney that John Prior has withdrawn my subpoena in the Daybell case. https://t.co/STSOOC3kev

I wonder, what was Mr. Prior expecting to get from Mr. Eaton in the first place?  If a motion to quash the subpoena was filed, it would be interesting reading (at least, it would be interesting reading for some of us ;) :D), certainly.

On 5/29/2021 at 7:56 PM, Calm said:

Nate Eaton (@NateNewsNow) Tweeted:
I just received word from my attorney that John Prior has withdrawn my subpoena in the Daybell case. https://t.co/STSOOC3kev

The why of the subpoena:

The subpoena, which was filed in early May, had commanded Eaton to appear in a Fremont County courtroom for a hearing ostensibly to discuss changing the venue of the Chad and Lori Daybell court cases......Prior’s subpoena aimed to compel Eaton to testify about EastIdahoNews.com, including its geographic and/or online reach, audience size and amount of pageviews......Since the subpoena was filed, EastIdahoNews.com has been contacted by a number of press organizations in support of fighting the order, including the Radio Television Digital News Association, the Committee to Protect Journalists and the Idaho Press Club.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2021/05/daybell-attorney-withdraws-subpoena-against-eastidahonews-com-reporter/?fbclid=IwAR2hgSIHE_Yjm3spWQNNt72Kbx9HDtaOT0dDK30HfuyOpj_DMxJU4hurQV8

1 hour ago, Calm said:

As much as I support press freedom and the ability to shield one's sources, the information sought under this subpoena seems to be pretty benign, although there is the slippery-slope argument that once a media outlet has been compelled to provide even such general information as that sought in the subpoena, it would only be a matter of time before a media outlet would be forced to divulge sources, substance of interviews, and so on.  As I said earlier, if there is a motion to quash, I'd be interested in seeing it.

For what it's worth, I just sent Mr. Eaton the following tweet:

@NateNewsNow

Mr. Eaton: Did your attorney (or another party's attorney or group of attorneys) file a motion to quash the subpoena with which you were served in the Vallow case? If so, is there any chance we could see that? Thx, -Ken

34 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I think I'd go insane realizing my children weren't possessed by zombies and their deaths were them not zombies. I wonder if she woke up to this knowledge and couldn't take it. 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I think I'd go insane realizing my children weren't possessed by zombies and their deaths were them not zombies. I wonder if she woke up to this knowledge and couldn't take it. 

She didn’t seem to mourn them the first time their spirits supposedly “died” and the zombies took over their bodies. I don’t see why she would mourn them now. 🤷‍♀️

Something I just noticed from a few months ago, someone might have posted about it. I came across it today due to some remarks Means said about pressure tactics on the Daybell kids. 

An interview Emma (can’t remember her married name, maybe Martin?) gave after it was announced her mother’s autopsy report was in. She called the sheriffs and was told she and other of the children would be told the results only after they answered all of the sheriff’s questions. She couldn’t understand why they just couldn’t tell them. 

She is rather naive if she hasn’t realized they could be potential accomplices and if results were shared before they had given their stories, they could alter their testimonies to better fit the facts. 

She even says she is not going to share what she knows is true until she finds out what the report says.  Is she fearful the report will be changed because that would be difficult to do, but if you believe conspiracy theories about law enforcement and believe that everyone involved would be willing to lie about it not being altered, I supposed that fear could seem sensible.  But it seems much more logical the people who do not have their info printed up and sent out to multiple people are the ones more likely to change their stories if they get info before sharing them publicly.

So I don’t see it as pressure tactics, just very unfortunate common sense not to tell them until they testify or make a statement. Fallout from having a parent die in suspicious circumstances. 

Edited by Calm
On 6/13/2021 at 12:33 AM, Calm said:

So I don’t see it as pressure tactics, just very unfortunate common sense not to tell them until they testify or make a statement. Fallout from having a parent die in suspicious circumstances. 

Very interesting. Thanks for posting the video. It surprises me that anyone would have promised to show them the autopsy results even if they give their statements. I feel terrible for Tammy’s children but would it be wise to show the results to anyone before the trial? But I’m definitely no expert on the law or prosecutorial strategy. 

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2021/06/attorney-makes-long-list-of-requests-before-lori-vallow-daybell-is-moved-to-mental-health-facility/

Means states that he wants to be directly involved in Daybell’s treatment and asks for the names and credentials of all people involved in her care. Means also wants to know proposed treatment, medications and plans before they are administered to Daybell. 

Means seems to be making a presumption of bad faith on the part of mental health providers. He is not the expert on what is and isn’t best. I wonder if he will be allowed to interfere.  Has he been appointed her guardian?

The way he carelessly publicizes somethings (names of clients, for example)...I would be nervous if I was an employee at the facility she is going to be at.

Edited by Calm
  • 2 weeks later...

Trial for Chad Daybell starts Nov 8 till Dec 17.  Pretrial conference Sept 29, 9 AM.  I watched a zoom provided by someone else, so no link.  When I feel,like it, will get one.  Pryor asked for 60 days to go through all the discovery, it is labeled “voluminous” and new stuff he hasn’t received yet includes 5 days worth of Grand Jury transcript, so any motions on discovery are currently scheduled for Sept 10...which is tight for the pretrial conference hearing, but found acceptable (speedy trial requirements have a Dec 9th deadline and holidays make that even harder to fit everything in).

Edited by Calm
3 hours ago, mtomm said:

Is it bad to hope you get picked for jury duty? I was pretty sad I didn't even get a summons for the grand jury. 

Would knowing the case well enough you want to be on the jury potentially be a cause for dismissal?  I don’t know how jury selection works, except the ideal is to approach it without bias that will not change in the face of new information. 

LVD is apparently hospitalized now….Added:  confused now as getting different info

This appears trustworthy, Vinelink is the court’s reporting system of everything that gets done, I believe

Vinelink update says today:
IDVINE MSG: LORI VALLOW was placed on supervised custody as of 06/24/21. In an emergency call 911. For more info call (208) 356-5426 or visit www.vinelink.com

Just FYI for those who might be interested, came across it on Websleuths 

https://www.corrections1.com/corrections/articles/in-idaho-those-declared-incompetent-to-stand-trial-end-up-in-limbo-Yg5lk2RSWukoOXO3/

also

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/news/local/patient-numbers-skyrocketing-at-idahos-mental-hospitals/article_89819ae7-c38b-571c-940c-b71cd975acf1.html

added the next day:

Edited by Calm