Seriously No Politics ×

Update on Story Re: Missing Kids (Daybell)

On 11/18/2020 at 5:10 PM, Calm said:

Nothing relevant to the Daybell case. 

Pawlowski says she never called anyone zombies and does not believe that. This may be rebutted as there is a claim there is a witness to her doing this. Other than that, I am not seeing anything of interest right now unless one is interested in custody battles and she said/he said, etc. 

sounds like it was noneventful....which given the lead up is rather eventful. Got to wonder why everyone seems comfortable with her getting shared custody restored in January. 

https://www.12news.com/mobile/article/news/local/valley/court-lori-vallows-niece-denies-involvement-in-cult-shooting-attempt-on-ex-husband/75-e5a7b0dd-2185-4877-ad71-115f027dee60

Edited by Calm
7 hours ago, Calm said:

sounds like it was noneventful....which given the lead up is rather eventful. Got to wonder why everyone seems comfortable with her getting shared custody restored in January. 

https://www.12news.com/mobile/article/news/local/valley/court-lori-vallows-niece-denies-involvement-in-cult-shooting-attempt-on-ex-husband/75-e5a7b0dd-2185-4877-ad71-115f027dee60

I’ve seen people put up with all kinds of rubbish from their Xs in order to not be the sole caregiver. 

57 minutes ago, katherine the great said:

I’ve seen people put up with all kinds of rubbish from their Xs in order to not be the sole caregiver. 

The guy has money, could hire help.  But certainly might be that.  There is lots of speculation out there. Hopefully the one that is right is she wasn’t as involved with her aunt as it appeared. 

Maybe the kids being found dead woke her up and got her back to reality.

19 hours ago, Calm said:

Maybe the kids being found dead woke her up and got her back to reality.

I truly hope so. I assume he’s completely convinced that she had nothing to do with his murder attempt—I’d personally have a reeeeeeeally hard time overcoming that. Do you know if she has moved back closer to him? That would seem like a prerequisite to get joint custody.

39 minutes ago, katherine the great said:

I truly hope so. I assume he’s completely convinced that she had nothing to do with his murder attempt—I’d personally have a reeeeeeeally hard time overcoming that. Do you know if she has moved back closer to him? That would seem like a prerequisite to get joint custody.

I haven’t any other knowledge.  

• 2 weeks later...

Wood believes attorney Garrett Smith recorded some of the conversations and says the recording may be incomplete/edited possibly.

Quote Tweet

Justin Lum

@jlumfox10

· 10h

WOOD RESPONDS: Prosecutor Rob Wood files affidavit testifying against motions by Prior & Means. Wood says he spoke to Shiflet & Zulema Pastenes (widow of Alex Cox) w/ their attorney present. Meetings took place at Chandler PD (10/1-10/2). Pastenes reached out to LE via attorney.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jlumfox10

Prior is asking for Wood to be dismissed for witness tampering. 

From websleuths:

For those who don’t have ID channel, “Doomsday: The Missing Children” is available free, no subscription or sign-up needed, on the ID Go app. You can download the app to a streaming player, phone, smart TV, computer or tablet.

There appears to have been an update and I can’t see how to link directly to posts. Hopefully this at least takes you to the page, am guessing here this will do the post. 

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/id-joshua-vallow-7-tylee-ryan-16-rexburg-sept-2019-arrests-55.551256/page-15#post-16524244

Edited by Calm
On 12/22/2020 at 3:43 AM, Calm said:

From websleuths:

There appears to have been an update and I can’t see how to link directly to posts. Hopefully this at least takes you to the page, am guessing here this will do the post. 

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/id-joshua-vallow-7-tylee-ryan-16-rexburg-sept-2019-arrests-55.551256/page-15#post-16524244

Thank you! Watching the first episode now. Right at the get go, it mentions the church, not making it look very good. Why do we have members that commit the weirdest crimes?  ADD ON: Wow, I was about to skip some episodes and get to the end, but in the first few minutes there was new information I hadn't known. I hadn't known Lori married 5 times. I hadn't known that the Whitlock's first adopted JJ but were worried that he needed to be with a younger family, if I remember that, typing as I watch. Too bad, because he may have been alive had they not let Lori and Charles adopt. 

Edited by Tacenda
  • 2 weeks later...

An update:

ST. ANTHONY, Idaho — Attorneys for Chad and Lori Daybell are attempting to have special prosecutor Rob Wood dismissed from the case during a hearing Wednesday.

John Prior and Mark Means, the attorneys who represent Chad and Lori respectively, accuse Wood of misconduct in dealing with Lori's sister Summer Shiflet.

In a recording played during the hearing, Wood is heard telling Shiflet that Chad Daybell is "wimpy" and was responsible for feeding her sister false religious beliefs.

Hmm.

As a witness at the hearing, Shiflet's attorney, Garrett Smith, said he recorded the conversation between Wood and his client because he was "bothered by it to the point where I called Mr. Means and said you need to be aware of a few things."

Prior said the recording is proof that Wood was inappropriately trying to manipulate or influence a material witness in the case by sharing with Shiflet that he is a practicing member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

“You wouldn’t do that in front of a jury." said Smith. "Doing that in front of a witness who hasn’t testified is concerning.”

Hmm.  I think I agree with this.  I don't do criminal work, but a prosecutor talking about shared religious beliefs with a material witness seems . . . off.  

Later in the recording, Wood criticizes Means to Shiflet, telling them that “he’s never done any meaningful criminal work at all. He doesn’t know what he’s doing."

I'm not sure this is problematic.  The website of Mr. Means' law firm lists him as doing personal injury, family law and bankruptcy work.  If I were looking for a solid criminal defense lawyer to handle a serious criminal case, I would not go to one who doesn't even advertise himself as a criminal defense attorney.

Woods adds that he promises to file conspiracy to commit murder charges against the Daybells, which would make it a potential death penalty case.

"We are not shy about that," says Woods.

I'm not sure this is problematic, either.

I'm curious if other attorneys, more experienced in criminal defense than I, could weigh in.

Thanks,

-Smac

3 hours ago, bluebell said:

I'm wondering why no one involved in the case has been charged with killing the children?  

I think it's because there isn't a "smoking gun" --- indisputable evidence that Chad or Lori did it. Everyone knows they did, but it's kind of an OJ Simpson thing: "if the glove don't fit, you must acquit." Without eyewitnesses or incontrovertible evidence, that the bodies were dismembered/burned on Chad's property doesn't by itself prove that they "did" it. 

I think the legal attorney(s) is/are being very careful, because you only get one shot (double jeopardy concerns), and if you have the wrong charges, they could get off. It might be the same sort of situation as going after Al Capone for tax evasion rather than risk mistrials or acquittals in "going for the home run." That's what happened when my (now deceased) childhood friend Marcus Mumford won in the Ammon Bundy case in Oregon. The state went for the "home run" with domestic terrorism charges, when the slam dunk was criminal trespass and the like. 

It's probably not as easy as we think, and jury trials can be unpredictable. If they charge them with murder, but end up not being able to prove that "their hand" did it, then they risk losing the whole thing. 

Etc.

Edited by rongo

Justin Lum has a detailed report on the hearing and content of the recorded conversation between prosecutor and sister of LVD. Rather interesting imo. 

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/id-joshua-vallow-7-tylee-ryan-16-rexburg-sept-2019-arrests-55.551256/page-25#post-16549811

Two big issues appear to be Woods discrediting Means, LVD’s attorney, to a witness.  If it had happened in front of a jury, it would have been misconduct and they would be removed from the case apparently...even though he is completely accurate imo.

Second is what level of influence of the sister, especially with talk of death penalty and religious connections...he knew Summer would be talking to her sister and wanted her to persuade Vallow to turn on Daybell.  But will this change her testimony at all about what she witnessed?

There will probably be articles about the hearing, but too lazy right now to look. Maybe later. 

Edited by Calm