Seriously No Politics ×

Update on Story Re: Missing Kids (Daybell)

8 minutes ago, Anijen said:

Since Conspiracy is a different charge she could be charged both with murder and conspiracy.

Would that mean two different charges that could be served consecutively (though likely concurrently)?

16 hours ago, Calm said:

Would that mean two different charges that could be served consecutively (though likely concurrently)?

That would be up to the judge, I think.  My thinking on it would be that we want to encourage neither murder nor anything "like unto it," as well as discouraging anything that might lead to it, such as a conspiracy.  Therefore, if it were up to me, she wouldn't get to "conspire" for free: she could do separate sentences for each crime.  (That's assuming that she doesn't get life for the murder.)

Edited by Kenngo1969
21 hours ago, Calm said:

Someone pointed out on websleuths that generally speaking jail conditions (where potentially innocent defendants wait for trial when not out on bail) tend to be better than prison conditions, more privileges, etc. That combined with sentences giving credit for times served, if one anticipates serving some time after a trial in prison, delaying a trial for a long time is not a bad idea as more jail time means less prison time. Her setup sounds boring but comfortable enough with her own cell and limited contact with other inmates in the shared area if anyone else is in there, outside once a day.  So her lawyer asking for extensions isn’t surprising to me, especially given the amount of discovery I believe there is with all the phone stuff and possibly court documents from her lawsuits.

The biggest question is how this extended attention is getting paid for. Maybe Means isn’t that busy otherwise and hopes this case brings him higher visibility or perhaps the Coxes are footing the bill or somehow LVD managed enough self control she stashed money away when she was paying bills and such as apparently Charles Vallow was okay with her handling that side of their life. 

I think that most likely, the Cox family is paying her bills, as I doubt Chad can foot both their legal bills anymore.  The Cox family was blindly, astonishingly supportive of Lori before the children's bodies were found and I doubt that has changed--it is an ingrained pattern in that family to support Lori in whatever she did.  I seriously doubt Lori has the ability to control her desires for anything and everything she wanted enough to have stashed away any money while she had the chance, and her pattern was to have others paying for everything she wanted as she went along with life.  I think we see that with her earlier husband Joseph Ryan and this continued unabated with Charles Vallow.  She then slipped into that same pattern with Chad, living off the insurance money from Tammy's death, and so there's no reason to think this isn't continuing, but now her extended family, the Coxes (maybe not including the one brother) are probably paying her legal bills. imo

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Watch 48 hours tonight at 9:00 pm on CBS, it's an update on how the investigators found the bodies. It says it's new, and I saw someplace else that it's an update, whatever that means.

I read an article about it. It looks like the updates all have to do with outlining how their used gps on Cox’s phone to help show when the murders took place and how long he spent hiding the bodies at Daybell’s.

Oh, and they do share that Tylee’s body was dismembered.  And JJ was likely alive when he was duct taped. :( 

I didn’t see anything else that was new. 

4 hours ago, bluebell said:

.  And JJ was likely alive when he was duct taped. :( 

Damn.  At least let him have been drugged.  They had the meds to do it there ans she informed the babysitter that she often used them to get a break and it would have been stupid to have to struggle with him, so unless the taping was impulsive....

9 hours ago, bluebell said:

I read an article about it. It looks like the updates all have to do with outlining how their used gps on Cox’s phone to help show when the murders took place and how long he spent hiding the bodies at Daybell’s.

Oh, and they do share that Tylee’s body was dismembered.  And JJ was likely alive when he was duct taped. :( 

I didn’t see anything else that was new. 

I hadn't realized that JJ was likely alive. This enraged and saddened me, I just can't fathom anyone being so inhumane. The only thing I can come up with is that Cox actually believed they were zombies, or may he only killed JJ and Chad probably shot Tylee, not a frickin raccoon. I hope beyond hope that an angel from above came and took JJ with them and didn't let him suffer, along with Tylee, that an angel was there to comfort her as well. 

The two monsters need to die a slow death too. Sorry, I'm just so angry about this. If they only get a few years because Cox is dead and they can't convict them of murder. I wouldn't feel bad if someone pushed then off a cliff into a fiery volcano. But before that put their hands in a disposal, then slam sharp scissors up their noses, razor blade their tongues....okay, sorry, I'm on one. 

Edited by Tacenda
On 10/4/2020 at 2:04 PM, Calm said:

Damn.  At least let him have been drugged.  They had the meds to do it there ans she informed the babysitter that she often used them to get a break and it would have been stupid to have to struggle with him, so unless the taping was impulsive....

As I recall, he had a bag on his head?, which combined with drugs, would have been an efficient way to kill him.  I would expect that he was drugged, he would have been much easier to handle, I like to think he was, I hope he was not aware of what was happening to him.

• 2 weeks later...

Crickets generally. Guess no one is in a hurry to get to court. As long as they are in jail, taking time to get things right is fine by me.  I would like it better if masks were off during court. 

One year anniversary of Tammy’s death, the Douglas family is establishing a memorial:

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/10/tammy-daybells-family-launches-nonprofit-foundation-on-anniversary-of-her-death/?fbclid=IwAR1CENvXtXhUXr6ctSRhDTjD7CKWseCsAylhRhII5cKo1ZNtG2oLxxP4AE4

Edited by Calm
10 hours ago, Calm said:

Crickets generally. Guess no one is in a hurry to get to court. As long as they are in jail, taking time to get things right is fine by me.  I would like it better if masks were off during court. 

One year anniversary of Tammy’s death, the Douglas family is establishing a memorial:

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/10/tammy-daybells-family-launches-nonprofit-foundation-on-anniversary-of-her-death/?fbclid=IwAR1CENvXtXhUXr6ctSRhDTjD7CKWseCsAylhRhII5cKo1ZNtG2oLxxP4AE4

I saw this last night on the news. I wonder if Chad is kicking himself over choosing Lori over Tammy. His judgement is screwy. Think how life would have been if he'd cherished the sweet wife he had in Tammy, and the family they could have been had he not chosen ???. 

On 10/4/2020 at 2:04 PM, Calm said:

Damn.  ...

:shok:  :blink:

(Yes, I can understand completely how something like this might provoke such a reaction.)

Just now, Tacenda said:

Oh, come on Ken, one more letter than dam?? ;)

I know I shouldn't give a tinker's dam, but the damn dam burst and flooded my farm. :angry: :( 

I don't know if this has been posted or not yet (forgive me: I didn't want to wade back through 41 pages to find out! :shok: :blink:).  But it does give a good overview of the case and is relatively recent, so is likely to include much of the most recent information.  If there is anything anyone thinks it misses, I'm sure those of you who set your alarms according to when the latest update on the case is available will let us know! ;) 

Hearing to dismiss postponed till Nov 24. 

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/10/daybells-hearing-to-dismiss-case-postponed/?fbclid=IwAR0RjRj3n-Z7d9imo2q2hYG62nsNPKQydGMBOIIRxWhiRFSnpVHj9CtZScE

Don’t see it as likely, but Prior is earning his money.  Jail is nicer than prison I hear and jail time served prior to sentence counts as part of sentence, so I bet Daybell doesn’t might the wait on the off chance Prior can get the dismissal. 

Hmmm...just read something that says prisons tend to be more comfortable, so may be wrong there. The description of the Idaho women’s jail sounds decent.  

Added:  the white would by itself drive me batty:

https://www.rexburgstandardjournal.com/news/feasibility-study-planned-to-determine-needs-of-fremont-county-jail/article_11e74b56-5045-5a7d-a27b-802cc0fb3455.amp.html

Edited by Calm

I have not been impressed by Mark Means.  He is out of his field of experience with this and even in his familiar surroundings, allows small errors to stand (spelling errors on his professional website) which makes me wonder about his eye for detail and followthrough...something that surely is essential for this type of law work.

Mark Means Law...

As I prepare the defense for Lori (vallow) Daybell... I am learning that persons like Melanie Gibbs and her boyfriend David Warwick appear to have been eagerly “involved” in more than they let on... if you know something... Say something!

How is this not admitting his client is guilty as the only way these would be “eagerly ‘involved’” is through LDV?

I'm sure Means has been watching the public reactions and has noticed that Melanie Gibbs is especially hated by the public (just look at any online comments when she's brought up on).  I'm not sure what it is, but I read negative reactions to her on par with the reactions to Lori Vallow.  There's a visceral hostility and condemnation for Melanie Gibbs, and I think he's picking up on it, trying to do whatever he can to redirect and place suspicion on someone other than his client.  I haven't seen as much hostility for David Warwick, but he's tied to Melanie, so why not vilify him as well, I guess the lawyer figures.

I'd say this strategy is similar to OJ Simpson's lawyers, they turned the jury's anger at the Police and investigators and got him acquitted.  I think Chad's and Lori's lawyers will try to cast doubt, make the jury think that Lori and Chad were framed by people worse than them.

3 minutes ago, alter idem said:

There's a visceral hostility and condemnation for Melanie Gibbs,

Yes, she expressed too much love for Vallow post tragedy instead of joining in the hate fest, helped Vallow hide the affair, was not outright condemning of many of the cult like ideas, and allowed herself to be part of the lying at least once in the police interview with her, Tylee, and Vallow over Charles’ behaviour with the purse.  The last is very hard to excuse imo, especially since she knew there was an affair and Charles’ allegations were true even if she believed Vallow was the victim somehow. 

She also has a distant, less emotional manner and I think many interpret that as insincerity. Add to that how some can’t imagine how someone talking about their spouse’s death as a certainty wouldn’t send up a red flag when he is killed....

That she was okay with all the lying and manipulation and even did some herself at the police interview while knowing Vallow anticipated and desired Charles’ death and called her children dark spirits and zombies, that she only balked when she herself was asked to lie about something easily misproved and therefore could get hurt....I get why it is easy to assume the worst about her.  She seemed not to care too much about anyone else getting hurt before that moment. 

I don’t know what to think about her. At first I considered her rather naive because she chose to isolate herself from typical stuff (she said she hadn’t watched TV in a long time when she explained why she didn’t know what a burner phone was iirc, and she seemed to miss some other pop culture references) and someone who observed others more than involved herself, so not used to acting which made her behaviour understandable to me...but then I find out she is one of the active, recruiting leaders in the PAP group and apparently left her husband due to her involvement...she doesn’t seem passive any more or just an observer. Add in relistening to the police interview where she went along with lies...I am less sympathetic at this point and undecided about her now as far as Charles’ death, though I believe she had no clue about the kids.  Tylee being off at college was believable, JJ frustrating his mom so she said stupid things as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I keptgoimg toEIN, copying the link and then getting distracted before I got back here, so thanks for posting.

I am very glad they are joined.  I don't think we would get even a chance to hear enough of the story if separated.  Now there is a chance.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/10/judge-combines-trials-for-chad-and-lori-daybell/

Edited by Calm

If there had been separate trials rather than a single, combined trial for both, there would be a greater chance that the defense could sow reasonable doubt in jurors' minds, with each defendant pointing a finger at the other as the instigator and/or the primary actor in all that occurred.

Now, that won't happen. :good: 

2 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

If there had been separate trials rather than a single, combined trial for both, there would be a greater chance that the defense could sow reasonable doubt in jurors' minds, with each defendant pointing a finger at the other as the instigator and/or the primary actor in all that occurred.

Now, that won't happen. :good: 

I agree.  It helps the prosecution to have the two of them sitting together on trial, tied together on the commission of this crime in the eyes of the Jury.  And, since it's common sense and obvious to all that they committed this together, it is the right thing to do.