Missionaries coming over for mtg but not meals?

We had all 6 missionaries over tonite for a meeting, 4 elders and the 2 sisters. I was told that if the sisters come over to a place, like mine with no other female present then they needed a chaperone. Tonite though they said that they can come over for a meeting but not a meal, without a female chaperone. My question is WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES A MEAL MAKE? why can they come for a meeting but not a meal? how does that make any sense? if safety is the issue then shouldn't it be all the same? either no chaperone or a chaperone? It's just my brother and me

• Like 2
2 hours ago, rpn said:

Who cares?   Just have meetings, and serve food that they can eat if they choose/are hungry.

I think the lack of a formal, sit-down type meal makes it less "social" and more of a teaching event... the new mishes get to practice giving a discussion, etc. from what I understand.

GG

When I saw mtg. I thought it stood for magic the gathering.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Doctrine 612 said:

When I saw mtg. I thought it stood for magic the gathering.

heard of it but never done it or saw it being done or anything😔

15 hours ago, Duncan said:

We had all 6 missionaries over tonite for a meeting, 4 elders and the 2 sisters. I was told that if the sisters come over to a place, like mine with no other female present then they needed a chaperone. Tonite though they said that they can come over for a meeting but not a meal, without a female chaperone. My question is WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES A MEAL MAKE? why can they come for a meeting but not a meal? how does that make any sense? if safety is the issue then shouldn't it be all the same? either no chaperone or a chaperone? It's just my brother and me

While living in Germany we had them over for every holiday, they would usually have to stay over, as the train back to their city stopped running at 10:00PM. They would often pretend to loose track of time. But, we did not mind, we joined while living there, and we were the only members on base and in our town. This because the members who introduced us to the Church, left for the U.S., just three months after we were baptized. 

• Like 1

s

15 hours ago, rpn said:

Who cares?   Just have meetings, and serve food that they can eat if they choose/are hungry.

Yes...a nice meat tray with cheese and crackers is a snack...and for some hungry sisters it is a meal..this is silly stuff!

16 hours ago, Duncan said:

Maybe the presence of a number of other missionaries for a meeting constitutes enough witnesses/chaperones to establish propriety/safety.

• Like 1

I've seen forms of this over the past few years.  Currently our Missionaries aren't allowed to eat an evening meal at members homes between 4 and 8 PM.  After 8 PM they would like the Sisters in the Members homes to practice teaching lessons.  

I understand wanting to have Elders/Sisters doing constructive work during the prime hours when people are home.  But I don't understand the Mission Presidents, Stake Presidents, Area Presidents who forbid Ordained Minsters of Jesus Christ from visiting my home and family unless I put an investigator in front them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CV75 said:

Maybe the presence of a number of other missionaries for a meeting constitutes enough witnesses/chaperones to establish propriety/safety.

and a meal?! same number, same people!

18 minutes ago, The Mean Farmer said:

I've seen forms of this over the past few years.  Currently our Missionaries aren't allowed to eat an evening meal at members homes between 4 and 8 PM.  After 8 PM they would like the Sisters in the Members homes to practice teaching lessons.  

I understand wanting to have Elders/Sisters doing constructive work during the prime hours when people are home.  But I don't understand the Mission Presidents, Stake Presidents, Area Presidents who forbid Ordained Minsters of Jesus Christ from visiting my home and family unless I put an investigator in front them.

yeah, it's my home I decide who comes in and who doesn't

3 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Maybe they have found/believe that during meals, missionaries are more relaxed, less focused, and more likely to make excuses for crossing lines. 

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, Duncan said:

All I can say is, dealing with teenagers is weird so who knows what they're thinking... :)

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Calm said:

Maybe they have found/believe that during meals, missionaries are more relaxed, less focused, and more likely to make excuses for crossing lines. 

Easier to play footsies under the table

On 12/31/2019 at 8:51 PM, Duncan said:

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES A MEAL MAKE? 

Women can’t resist a bachelor who knows how to warmup a TV dinner in a microwave.  If you serve the one with a brownie, it pushes it over the top!

• Like 4

Remember that most rules are created because somebody somewhere did something inappropriate while in that situation.

• Like 2

There's something intimate about eating a meal together, I guess.  Having a meeting?  Well, that's just business, humdrums and boring.  There's little chance of impropriety in the boring atmosphere, but a high change when you're chewing on a beastly bone and gazing into each other's eyes through the candle little mist.  

1 hour ago, stemelbow said:

There's something intimate about eating a meal together, I guess.  Having a meeting?  Well, that's just business, humdrums and boring.  There's little chance of impropriety in the boring atmosphere, but a high change when you're chewing on a beastly bone and gazing into each other's eyes through the candle little mist.  

😀I love you....crunch ..crunch...swallow..drink..burp...escuse me...

1 hour ago, stemelbow said:

• Like 2

My wife is not a member. She loves feeding the missionaries and listens and participate in lessons, though she does not follow through with studying. since the new policy, we still have the missionaries over for lessons and they gladly receive snacks. I thought they might make an exception for non members, but that is not the case.  The policy is aimed at having them focused more on teaching and less on socializing - even with non members. She can still come for meals on weekends but on weekdays it is just lessons (with snacks). 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, topcougar said:

My wife is not a member. She loves feeding the missionaries and listens and participate in lessons, though she does not follow through with studying. since the new policy, we still have the missionaries over for lessons and they gladly receive snacks. I thought they might make an exception for non members, but that is not the case.  The policy is aimed at having them focused more on teaching and less on socializing - even with non members. She can still come for meals on weekends but on weekdays it is just lessons (with snacks). 

I hope they have increased their living allowance! Missionaries can still come for meals here and in my son's mission (as of yesterday). My son gets most of his dinners through members and has very little to live on for breakfast, lunch, cleaning, laundry and hygiene. If no dinner were allowed he would definitely need more.

On 12/31/2019 at 9:51 PM, Duncan said:

We had all 6 missionaries over tonite for a meeting, 4 elders and the 2 sisters. I was told that if the sisters come over to a place, like mine with no other female present then they needed a chaperone. Tonite though they said that they can come over for a meeting but not a meal, without a female chaperone. My question is WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES A MEAL MAKE? why can they come for a meeting but not a meal? how does that make any sense?

A meal is more of a social event primarily - one where you would be hosting as an individual for pleasure. Whereas a meeting would be more of an official church related event - one where you would be attending / presiding as a part of your official calling / priesthood responsibility. 

And while meetings can and do go off the rails from time to time, meals tend to invite conversation of a more personal nature for a greater portion of time.

So meals probably involve spending a lot more time engaging in the kind of socializing banter that also can be perceived as (or potentially lead to) flirting, which is - I suspect - what is trying to be avoided.

Edited by Amulek
  • Like 2