Seriously No Politics ×

HBO Developing Another "Mormon" Drama

The epitome of a Mormon housewife is probably code for every stereotypical trope in Mormonism. There will be sure to be lots of scuffles over "modesty," language, drinking, morality, gender battles, with the mother representing the most cringeworthy extremism so the Vegas stuff looks good.  I've seen few TV shows where religions aren't used for much more than foils to paint the more "progressive" POV as awesome in comparison.

I find something very interesting about this.  Would hope, however, that they take in to account of some actual history of an LDS girl in Vegas.  My cousins grew up there. Both girls were excommunicated because they married pastors of another church.  I won't see it though...trying to save money and took HBO costs of my Xfinity.  But seriously,. who wouldn't (even if inaccurate) would not be curious or interested enough to want to see a few episodes??

5 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

But seriously,. who wouldn't (even if inaccurate) would not be curious or interested enough to want to see a few episodes??

Me. Never even saw a clip of Big Love iirc. But there are a number of shows like that, primarily sitcoms, reality shows, and what I see as soap operas at night. Watching people self sabotage is not my thing. 

Edited by Calm
38 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

I find something very interesting about this.  Would hope, however, that they take in to account of some actual history of an LDS girl in Vegas.  My cousins grew up there. Both girls were excommunicated because they married pastors of another church.  I won't see it though...trying to save money and took HBO costs of my Xfinity.  But seriously,. who wouldn't (even if inaccurate) would not be curious or interested enough to want to see a few episodes??

It's really hard to believe that anyone would be excommunicated because they married pastors.  I know a lot of people who married out of the faith and none of them were excommunicated.  Some serve in positions of leadership even.

2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

It's really hard to believe that anyone would be excommunicated because they married pastors.  I know a lot of people who married out of the faith and none of them were excommunicated.  Some serve in positions of leadership even.

More likely they joined his faith at the same time or before, but the bishop didn't know about it until the marriage, so it appears the issue was the marriage.

Edited by Calm
9 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Would hope, however, that they take in to account of some actual history of an LDS girl in Vegas. 

I'm not really sure what this means, but I've known several LDS girls from Las Vegas over the years. The majority have been faithful, active, women who - having grown up in Sin City - have had the opportunity to see what lies at the end of the Strip (should you chose to travel that route): debt, addiction, relationships ruined, etc. 

But seriously,. who wouldn't (even if inaccurate) would not be curious or interested enough to want to see a few episodes??

Teenage girls rebelling against their faith, arguing with their moms, pining for their loser boyfriends, and all of the other angst that will invariably ensue? Thanks, but no thanks. 

I'll be content with hanging out and waiting for Better Call Saul to wrap up. 

Edited by Amulek
1 hour ago, bluebell said:

I don't know all the details that happened...I am sure there is more to it.

On 12/30/2019 at 5:08 PM, bluebell said:

I have zero--less than zero--faith that HBO will actually be able to accurately portray a member being caught between Las Vegas and her spiritual beliefs.  It's practically a given that this series will show a caricature of mormonism.  

I'm pretty certain the vast majority of religious people would say that TV and movies only ever give caricatures of their religions. Why should it be different for LDS? It is no different for non LDS Christians.

12 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Me, there are so many shows I want to watch but do not have time to that being vaguely curious about a show means I never get to it. I am not sure if I even qualify as vaguely curious about this.

20 hours ago, Joshua Valentine said:

I'm pretty certain the vast majority of religious people would say that TV and movies only ever give caricatures of their religions. Why should it be different for LDS? It is no different for non LDS Christians.

I was responding to the quote in the OP, that said--"Vegas High sounds interesting, particularly if it examines being a Latinx person living in a Mormon household. Too often Hollywood focuses on Latin American characters through Christianity, so it’ll be unique at the experiences of other Latinos of other religions."

I have no faith that this show will accurately 'examine being a Latinx person living in a Mormon household' in Vegas.   

On 12/30/2019 at 3:08 PM, bluebell said:

I have zero--less than zero--faith that HBO will actually be able to accurately portray a member being caught between Las Vegas and her spiritual beliefs.  It's practically a given that this series will show a caricature of mormonism.  

I agree.  It's especially disappointing when the Church goes to such great lengths to accurately present "the world" in its films.

This is my all-time favorite "Mormon Mention" [sorry, President Nelson :huh:; I was reaching for the alliteration there! ;) :D] in the movies:

1 hour ago, Rajah Manchou said:

Anybody watch Messiah on Netflix yet? The POTUS (President Young) is LDS and there's a mention or two of angels and golden plates. Guessing his character would play a larger role in Season 2. 

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjLWuzGVyew

He'll end up being portrayed as a hypocritical traitor to his faith, I'm sure. :rolleyes: :huh: :unknw: 

On 12/31/2019 at 8:00 PM, Joshua Valentine said:

Movies and tv shows trade almost exclusively on caricatures. It’s the lazy way to write.

On 1/1/2020 at 4:18 PM, katherine the great said:

Awesomeness! Why do I always think of Vincent Price when I see those wild-eyed silent film Lotharios?

As Loudmouthmormon pointed out, Vincent Price as Joseph Smith.

Dean Jagger joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, sometimes casually called the Mormon Church, in 1972, having studied its doctrines since his role as Brigham Young in 1940. Jagger passed away on February 5, 1991, in Santa Monica, California, of heart disease. He donated his awards, theatrical files, correspondence and five volumes of scrapbooks to the Harold B. Lee Library at Brigham Young University. https://www.mormonwiki.com/Dean_Jagger

Edited by Bernard Gui