Seriously No Politics ×

Music Thread

poptart

People were setting off fireworks on Christmas Eve and on Christmas day (evening) around here (for some odd reason), and I'm sure we will be hearing more of that on New Year's eve.  But every time I hear fireworks I think of this Youtube classic.  I'm sure many of you have seen it, but if you haven't it is definitely a heart warming rendition of the song.

The dad put up this description, which is helpful to know before watching the video:  "The fireworks show had just ended, but she thought she kept hearing them outside. So we sang to keep her mind preoccupied."

On 12/23/2020 at 8:50 PM, Stargazer said:

I agree, but my favorite parody song is a parody of Bohemian Rhapsody: Bohemian Gravity.

It can be a bit mystifying unless you have a little knowledge of quantum mechanics vocabulary!

This really made me smile. Thanks for sharing! :) 

I love watching these guys react to music they’ve never heard. They are only 22 so there are a lot of golden “oldies” for them to mine. Their reaction to this Phil Collins song put Collins back on the charts, and their reaction to his “dropping the beat” towards the end of the song is priceless. It is like I am listening to the song for the first time with them. 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to listen to GP and The Nocturnals a lot but not in a long while.  That cover she did of Cortez The Killer with Satriani, etc was especially good.

I keep thinking I want to post a Music Of My Life vid here but I can't settle on one. The Residents? Throbbing Gristle? Skinny Puppy? Negativland? Diablo Swing Orchestra? Pink Martini? It's too hard to choose.

edit: For a sec I thought GP was wearing pants in the above video but I was seeing things. Also, I can't get used to seeing her out from behind a B3 - it doesn't feel like her.

Edited by Chum
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Sweet! Never heard of her before now. A very nice performance!

I was having a fun time trying to decide where she was from originally, with the accent she was using to speak German to the audience. I had just about decided that she had an American accent, but wasn't sure, when I checked Wiki and discovered that she's Dutch. Which would explain why she comes down on her "R"s the way Americans frequently do. And why she was making similar mistakes with her grammar that I often do.

Dutch doesn't sound like English, but it's related to West Frisian, which is a very close cousin to English.  As a German and English speaker I could just about read the Book of Mormon in Dutch.

17 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Sweet! Never heard of her before now. A very nice performance!

I was having a fun time trying to decide where she was from originally, with the accent she was using to speak German to the audience. I had just about decided that she had an American accent, but wasn't sure, when I checked Wiki and discovered that she's Dutch. Which would explain why she comes down on her "R"s the way Americans frequently do. And why she was making similar mistakes with her grammar that I often do.

Dutch doesn't sound like English, but it's related to West Frisian, which is a very close cousin to English.  As a German and English speaker I could just about read the Book of Mormon in Dutch.

First heard of her on this cd as a kid.  I wish my German was what it was.  I've considered looking for work over there in a few years.  Met people who were in the Order of Malta, supposedly if you're ok with working in geriatrics it's not hard for a foreigner to find work.  Want to celebrate Christmas in Bavaria so badly.  

Pure Moods Music Collection Ad (1997) - YouTube

Also my contribution. 

Kalax - Signs - YouTube

Edited by poptart
3 hours ago, poptart said:

First heard of her on this cd as a kid.  I wish my German was what it was.  I've considered looking for work over there in a few years.  Met people who were in the Order of Malta, supposedly if you're ok with working in geriatrics it's not hard for a foreigner to find work.  Want to celebrate Christmas in Bavaria so badly.  

Pure Moods Music Collection Ad (1997) - YouTube

Also my contribution. 

Kalax - Signs - YouTube

Do you have some relationship to Kalax?