Seriously No Politics ×

whistleblower on Church finances

I just read a similar article about this in the San Francisco paper

7 minutes ago, Michael Sudworth said:

I am absolutely devastated at this level of deception that has been carried on for so many years.

I phoned all of my adult children tonight, instructing them not to pay any further tithing until President Nelson makes a comment why the Church has amassed 100 Billion dollars by misappropriating sacred tithing funds.

Don't you think that that allegation has to be proven first? 

8 minutes ago, Michael Sudworth said:

I am absolutely devastated at this level of deception that has been carried on for so many years.

I phoned all of my adult children tonight, instructing them not to pay any further tithing until President Nelson makes a comment why the Church has amassed 100 Billion dollars by misappropriating sacred tithing funds.

Phone your adult children and let them know that the church removed the word gullible from the dictionary.

2 hours ago, mtomm said:

Loss of trust

Loss of trust how.  Now if church leaders are using the funds to buy a bunch of Ferrari and Lamborghinis YES.  Even IF these claims are true and I sort of doubt it based on the figure.  (I am sure the church has billions but what are the odds that the Church reaches the magical 100 billion marks and then this comes out?.   It sounds like a made up figure to me) what is the church doing or planning to do with it.  It is smart to have large reserves for bad times.  Any large organization that spends as much as they take in are going to be in big trouble if things go south.  They will have to either go into massive debt or sell off stuff to stay afloat.  I am not interested in the dollar amount, whatever it actually is.  I am interested in the plans for it.

Just now, carbon dioxide said:

Loss of trust how.  Now if church leaders are using the funds to buy a bunch of Ferrari and Lamborghinis YES.  Even IF these claims are true and I sort of doubt it based on the figure.  (I am sure the church has billions but what are the odds that the Church reaches the magical 100 billion marks and then this comes out?.   It sounds like a made up figure to me) what is the church doing or planning to do with it.  It is smart to have large reserves for bad times.  Any large organization that spends as much as they take in are going to be in big trouble if things go south.  They will have to either go into massive debt or sell off stuff to stay afloat.  I am not interested in the dollar amount, whatever it actually is.  I am interested in the plans for it.

Propping up for profit ventures is one of the allegations. When the church does that with profit made from invested tithing funds, there can be justifiable loss of trust.

Would that we followed the Israelites when they brought their tithes to the temple and watched the priests burn them up, literally go up in smoke. There is a lesson there about how to regard the tithes given to the Lord. 

Now Fast offerings, humanitarian funds, education funds etc. maybe you can been more critical, but tithing not so much. 

Most people , if they could retire at 65 ,will need enough resources to last them until 80...90...? In other words they need 15-25 years worth of support taking into account low inflation and stable markets. Good luck with that. Be Prepared  should not just apply to scouts. 

57 minutes ago, ttribe said:

He only receives something if his allegations are supported by the investigation. Think about that for a little while. 

A nice retirement, if and only if all the allegations are true.

However, all of this merely points up the need for transparency.  If all this were a matter of record, and on the up and up, no whistleblower could do any damage.