Seriously No Politics ×

Jonah and the second coming of Christ

Jracforr

The religious elders in ancient Israel required a sign of Jesus regarding, the kingdom of which he preached,  Matt: 16, and he indicated that a repeat of Jonah's ministry, would be the Herald / Morning Star of that event. It should come as no surprise that the Morning Star of the European Reformation which laid the foundation for Protestant America, could be viewed as that figure. MARTIN LUTHER successful converted a significant portion of Europe's Germanic population to his reformed church, as did JONAS, to their Assyrian forefathers in Ninevah. 

57 minutes ago, Jracforr said:

The religious elders in ancient Israel required a sign of Jesus regarding, the kingdom of which he preached,  Matt: 16, and he indicated that a repeat of Jonah's ministry, would be the Herald / Morning Star of that event. It should come as no surprise that the Morning Star of the European Reformation which laid the foundation for Protestant America, could be viewed as that figure. MARTIN LUTHER successful converted a significant portion of Europe's Germanic population to his reformed church, as did JONAS, to their Assyrian forefathers in Ninevah. 

I'm pretty sure that when Jesus was talking about the sign of Jonas in Matthew 16, he was referring back to what he said in Matthew 12 about being in the belly of the earth for three days (like Jonah was in the belly of the fish):

39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.
(Matthew 12:39–41)

But I also fully believe that Martin Luther was instrumental in sowing seeds that prepared the world for the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ through the prophet Joseph Smith in the early 1800's.  (Although if Luther had succeeded in removing the book of James from the Bible like he wanted to, he might have put a bit of a damper on it, since that book was a catalyst to the restoration).

I understand the point you are making in reference to Jesus's death and resurrection,  however he identified his ministry of the Kingdom of God even closer with Jonah, by naming the Apostle Peter, Bar Jonah and bestowed the Keys of the Kingdom on him. This suggests to me that the herald of the furure kingdom, of which he spoke would be liken to Jonah of old, ministering to the descendants of the Assyrians/Germans. These are the very people who severly brought the Jews into judgement, as Jesus Prophesied. This does not in any way detract from Joseph Smith's ministry to the tribe of  Ephraim, and the reestablishment of the kingdom in the Americas. Two very different mandates, serving the same kingdom.

3 hours ago, Jracforr said:

I understand the point you are making in reference to Jesus's death and resurrection,  however he identified his ministry of the Kingdom of God even closer with Jonah, by naming the Apostle Peter, Bar Jonah and bestowed the Keys of the Kingdom on him.

I think that just means that Jona was Peter's dad, not that Peter had any connection to the prophet Jonah.   i.e.  "And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone" (John 1:42), and  "Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these?", etc.  (John 21:15-17).

3 hours ago, Jracforr said:

This suggests to me that the herald of the furure kingdom, of which he spoke would be liken to Jonah of old, ministering to the descendants of the Assyrians/Germans. These are the very people who severly brought the Jews into judgement, as Jesus Prophesied. This does not in any way detract from Joseph Smith's ministry to the tribe of  Ephraim, and the reestablishment of the kingdom in the Americas. Two very different mandates, serving the same kingdom.

Jesus mentions two judgements here, [1] the men of Ninevah and [2] the queen of the south (queen of Sheba, 1 Kings 10:1 f or 2 Chron 9:1f):  

41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.
42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
(Matthew 12:41–42)

The point that Jesus is making is that the people of Ninevah recognized the preaching of Jonah as a prophet of God, and they repented, and the queen of Sheba recognized Solomon as a man of great wisdom.  But Jesus is a greater prophet than Jonah and has more wisdom than Solomon, and yet the people of that generation couldn't see that.  I think it's going beyond the intended meaning to draw any correlation with a later judgement.

6 hours ago, Jracforr said:

I understand the point you are making in reference to Jesus's death and resurrection,  however he identified his ministry of the Kingdom of God even closer with Jonah, by naming the Apostle Peter, Bar Jonah and bestowed the Keys of the Kingdom on him. This suggests to me that the herald of the furure kingdom, of which he spoke would be liken to Jonah of old, ministering to the descendants of the Assyrians/Germans. These are the very people who severly brought the Jews into judgement, as Jesus Prophesied. This does not in any way detract from Joseph Smith's ministry to the tribe of  Ephraim, and the reestablishment of the kingdom in the Americas. Two very different mandates, serving the same kingdom.

If you are about to start justifying the Holocaust and defending the perpetrators due to Luther’s anti-semitism please exit the forum and go back to whatever cesspool you came from. 

Martin Luther's ministry resulted in judgement upon all Europeans in the 30 year religious war, by the sword, plague and famine, because God makes no distinction on whom he disciplines . While the ministry of Luther  brought chastisememt to the world, Joseph Smith's ministry brought guidance and hope to Jew and Gentile alike. That's just the way it works, whether we like or understand the ways of God.

8 hours ago, InCognitus said:

I think that just means that Jona was Peter's dad, not that Peter had any connection to the prophet Jonah.   i.e.  "And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone" (John 1:42), and  "Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these?", etc.  (John 21:15-17).

Jesus mentions two judgements here, [1] the men of Ninevah and [2] the queen of the south (queen of Sheba, 1 Kings 10:1 f or 2 Chron 9:1f):  

The point that Jesus is making is that the people of Ninevah recognized the preaching of Jonah as a prophet of God, and they repented, and the queen of Sheba recognized Solomon as a man of great wisdom.  But Jesus is a greater prophet than Jonah and has more wisdom than Solomon, and yet the people of that generation couldn't see that.  I think it's going beyond the intended meaning to draw any correlation with a later judgement.

I agree with all you say except your last sentence, because Jesus referenced his work, to a yet to be established "Kingdom of God" in a new world, and for this reason he distinctly and deliberately indicated Jonah's ministry as the starting point for that process. That event as I suggested, is Martin Luther's ministry among the German people.

20 minutes ago, Jracforr said:

I agree with all you say except your last sentence, because Jesus referenced his work, to a yet to be established "Kingdom of God" in a new world, and for this reason he distinctly and deliberately indicated Jonah's ministry as the starting point for that process. That event as I suggested, is Martin Luther's ministry among the German people.

Actually the Law of Moses was the temporary "school master" to prepare a people for the Coming of the Lamb of God.  Apostle Paul called it the Carnal Commandments.

9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

If you are about to start justifying the Holocaust and defending the perpetrators due to Luther’s anti-semitism please exit the forum and go back to whatever cesspool you came from

50 minutes ago, Calm said:

Where is Calm when we need her to correct offensive language?

The Assyrian have traditional executed the wrath of God upon the nations of Ancient Mesopotamia and upon Israel. These are the people to whom Jonah was sent by God. In like manner the Germans who are partly descended from the Assyrians , was ministered to by Martin Luther , these Germans executed the wrath of God upon Europeans and Jews as did their Assyrian ancestors in the past.

5 hours ago, Jracforr said:

The Assyrian have traditional executed the wrath of God upon the nations of Ancient Mesopotamia and upon Israel. These are the people to whom Jonah was sent by God. In like manner the Germans who are partly descended from the Assyrians , was ministered to by Martin Luther , these Germans executed the wrath of God upon Europeans and Jews as did their Assyrian ancestors in the past.

Called it!

I think you got lost. You are looking for the ironically named freedom forum.

10 hours ago, Jracforr said:

Your god sounds like a jerk.  You might want to try one talked about in the new testament 

12 hours ago, sunstoned said:

Your god sounds like a jerk.  You might want to try one talked about in the new testament 

Terrible people have terrible gods.

“He shows much more of Himself to some people than to others—not because He has favourites, but because it is impossible for Him to show Himself to a man whose whole mind and character are in the wrong condition. Just as sunlight, though it has no favourites, cannot be reflected in a dusty mirror as clearly as in a clean one.” 
― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Edited by The Nehor