Seriously No Politics ×

No priesthood session April

22 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

No priesthood session this april

Looks like a general session for everyone 11+

Hmm.  I wonder if we're supposed to remember or wonder what the Church was like before the priesthood was restored, or if we're supposed to realize that the Priesthood consists of both men and women and even little children who are age 11+. ???

6 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Hmm.  I wonder if we're supposed to remember or wonder what the Church was like before the priesthood was restored, or if we're supposed to realize that the Priesthood consists of both men and women and even little children who are age 11+. ???

No, it's almost certainly to be a special program for the 200 years.

21 minutes ago, Ahab said:

The priesthood was restored before the church was organized. 

15 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

The priesthood was restored before the church was organized. 

IF that is true, and I'm not saying it isn't, then the way the Church was 200 years ago from that date was....not here, yet.  Not restored, yet. With only apostate churches, then.  Hmm.  Maybe we're supposed to remember that, then.

6 minutes ago, Ahab said:

IF that is true, and I'm not saying it isn't, then the way the Church was 200 years ago from that date was....not here, yet.  Not restored, yet. With only apostate churches, then.  Hmm.  Maybe we're supposed to remember that, then.

Aaronic Priesthood restored May 15, 1829

Melchezedek Priesthood restored " Evidence suggests a date within the 13-day period from 16 May to 28 May 1829."  https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1996/12/the-restoration-of-the-aaronic-and-melchizedek-priesthoods?lang=eng

Church restored April 6, 1830

54 minutes ago, Duncan said:

this better be blooming good I tellya

I wonder why we seem to need these big build-ups, as of late? Watching General Conference, the very act of hearing from Modern-day Prophets and Apostles, used to be it’s own reward. We already have eight hours of General Conference for those of any age or sex, now we seem to be creating divisions, by bringing greater attention to those divisions. Are we moving forward, or backwards? The goal used to be to cater to, and reach everyone, the “active”, the “less active”, those who “have fallen away”, and to “all non-members seeking truth”. No matter what they call each meeting, I still record and watch and rewatch them each of them. In fact for the last 20 years, I always watch each meeting, or all of the previous General Conferences, prior to the upcoming General Conferences, to get me in the right “Spirit”, or should I say, ready to “feel the Spirit”? No matter the intended audience, there are great lessons to be learned from the same speakers, who usually spoke in the other eight hours of General Conference. Simply put, the Gospel is and always has been for all who will listen, and I for one will be listening, even if I am not in the “targeted group” for those two hours. In fact, I am often am even more desirous to hear what is being “targeted” to other groups, to see what I am, or was missing out on.  

5 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

I wonder why we seem to need these big build-ups, as of late? Watching General Conference, the very act of hearing from Modern-day Prophets and Apostles, used to be it’s own reward. We already have eight hours of General Conference for those of any age or sex, now we seem to be creating divisions, by bringing greater attention to those divisions. Are we moving forward, or backwards? The goal used to be to cater to, and reach everyone, the “active”, the “less active”, those who “have fallen away”, and to “all non-members seeking truth”. No matter what they call each meeting, I still record and watch and rewatch them each of them. In fact for the last 20 years, I always watch each meeting, or all of the previous General Conferences, prior to the upcoming General Conferences, to get me in the right “Spirit”, or should I say, ready to “feel the Spirit”? No matter the intended audience, there are great lessons to be learned from the same speakers, who usually spoke in the other eight hours of General Conference. Simply put, the Gospel is and always has been for all who will listen, and I for one will be listening, even if I am not in the “targeted group” for those two hours. In fact, I am often am even more desirous to hear what is being “targeted” to other groups, to see what I am, or was missing out on.  

I recall Pres. Hinckley didn't have these build ups, he just announced stuff. I heard that when the Nauvoo Temple was planned the Q12 didn't even know about it even.

Edited by Duncan
17 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

Aaronic Priesthood restored May 15, 1829

Melchezedek Priesthood restored " Evidence suggests a date within the 13-day period from 16 May to 28 May 1829."  https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1996/12/the-restoration-of-the-aaronic-and-melchizedek-priesthoods?lang=eng

Church restored April 6, 1830

Yes, I know that.  Maybe I asked the wrong question, here. 

Maybe instead of asking this:

I should have instead asked this, instead:

Hmm.  I wonder if we're supposed to remember or wonder what the Priesthood was like before the Church was restored, or if we're supposed to realize that the Priesthood consists of both men and women and even little children who are age 11+. ???

April 5, 1820.  How do you envision the Church, and the Priesthood,  then?  On this planet, particularly.  And how is now different than then, after 200 years?

Edited by Ahab
8 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

I wonder why we seem to need these big build-ups, as of late?

Because many people, even people who show up for sacrament meeting every Sunday, don't watch. 

9 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

We already have eight hours of General Conference for those of any age or sex, now we seem to be creating divisions, by bringing greater attention to those divisions.

How is replacing the priesthood session with  session for 11 year and ups creating divisions?

10 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Simply put, the Gospel is and always has been for all who will listen, and I for one will be listening, even if I am not in the “targeted group” for those two hours. In fact, I am often am even more desirous to hear what is being “targeted” to other groups, to see what I am, or was missing out on.  

But you are part of the audience that is invited.  It seems like you're just griping.

7 minutes ago, Ahab said:

April 5, 1820.  How do you envision the Church, and the Priesthood,  then?  On this planet, particularly.  And how is now different than then, after 200 years?

Not sure what you're meaning here.  In 1820 neither the priesthood nor the church had been restored.  The first vision may not even have taken place yet.

44 minutes ago, cherryTreez said:

What if you don't have 10 year olds? Looks like I will be staying with my younger kids while the teens and my husband go. It's what happens with all church things for 12 and older. 

Don’t you have internet access at home? Why would any of you have to leave the house?

Edited by Scott Lloyd
8 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

Not sure what you're meaning here.  In 1820 neither the priesthood nor the church had been restored.  The first vision may not even have taken place yet.

And yet next year, in 2020, we as a Church are going to be doing something different for General Conference.  Something that relates to how things were 200 years ago, which would be 1820, not 1830.

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

interesting that the letter said it's "originating" from the conference center, I wonder if that means there won't be any sessions elsewhere? or that the main sessions are in SLC but X amount are at other locations?

That’s not at all unusual. General conference is often said to “originate” from the Conference Center (or in earlier days, the Tabernacle) on Temple Square. It simply denotes that the proceedings may be received elsewhere, be it at homes or other meeting places. 

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

interesting that the letter said it's "originating" from the conference center, I wonder if that means there won't be any sessions elsewhere? or that the main sessions are in SLC but X amount are at other locations?

Where does it usually originate?

It seems to me that there could be included broadcasts from various historical spots, like they did for the 150th of the Restoration

31 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

That’s not at all unusual. General conference is often said to “originate” from the Conference Center (or in earlier days, the Tabernacle) on Temple Square. It simply denotes that the proceedings may be received elsewhere, be it at homes or other meeting places. 

Dang.

You beat me by 3 minutes.  I should not have taken that phone call.  ;)

2 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Where does it usually originate?

It seems to me that there could be included broadcasts from various historical spots, like they did for the 150th of the Restoration

well, it says originating from SLC but that could mean that all of it is coming from there or maybe-therefore saying there won't be any broadcasts originating from elsewhere.i.e Palmyra, Sharon, Vermont, Carthage Jail etc.

47 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

But you are part of the audience that is invited.  It seems like you're just griping.

Yes I know I am invited, I believe, well I made that point very clear, and more. I am not “gripping”, I was am pointing out, what I thought I did so in our on native tongue, that all above the age of 11 are invited to all the meetings. Maybe it is just my Southern accent, that may have suggested otherwise, along with those who agreed that I was “gripping”, something lost in translation I suppose. I was wondering for, or of the need a “special meeting”, it seems somewhat redundant, at least to my simple mind. As I also pointed out, I will, and I do, listen to all General Conference meetings, no matter who is invited. As for those who attend Sacrament Meetings, who do not watch General Conference, it will remain the same. If the desire to hear from our Apostles and Prophets, is not something they desire to watch anyway, special announcements, of special meetings,  will not make any difference. They will just wait to see what others have to say about others say about it, or for their Bishops to read of it in what has come to be known as, “letters from the First Presidency”. No sir, I am not “gripping”, just giving my opinion, that all should be happy to “hear”, or when possible, “see” every meeting of General Conference Meeting. But I did get both your, “cherry picking points”, and your “judgmental tone”, and the “rep points” of my brothers here, for expressing an opinion. BTW, a “very pro-General Authority and General Conference opinion”, of how I won’t miss a moment, nor miss a moment of October’s General Conference, leading up to April’s General Conference, and how I would hope everyone would do the same. Now, if that passes for “Gripping”, West of the Mississippi, I can only apologize for the confusion, once again for my Southern accent, and I am sure my copious misspellings, and grammatical errors.