Seriously No Politics ×

Real housewives of Salt Lake City !

JAHS

On 7/10/2020 at 2:56 PM, Stargazer said:

There was a discussion here once upon a time wherein someone, in all seriousness, opined that people with Down's Syndrome should be resurrected that way because people with that affliction were such sweet spirits.  Yikes.

I totally agree! Have you been around someone with Downs Syndrome? They are able to live long lives and are so joyous that they have more spirit in their little fingers than most of us. God's gift for sure!

1 hour ago, Calm said:

I assume it is not their Down’s that makes them that way, but rather mortal faults not interfering with the expression of their true spirits.

Very true, but disagree that they would want to be switched and not be themselves after this life. ETA: But a handicap would be different and not a state of mind, if that makes sense.

Edited by Tacenda
On 7/12/2020 at 9:09 PM, Tacenda said:

I totally agree! Have you been around someone with Downs Syndrome? They are able to live long lives and are so joyous that they have more spirit in their little fingers than most of us. God's gift for sure!

My brother-in-law has Downs.

I am pretty sure that their condition in this life is temporary, and that they will be resurrected as perfect as everyone else.

We don't know why they, or others with limited capabilities, come to this mortal life in this condition, but I assume that it is all part of the plan.

I've asked this question before. If Downs persons should be resurrected with that condition, shouldn't everyone born with handicaps be resurrected with those handicaps? Persons born without limbs, born blind, and so on?  When Jesus healed the blind, the lame, and the simple, doesn't that reflect a desire on God's part to make perfect that which is imperfect?

Edited by Stargazer
On 7/12/2020 at 3:09 PM, Tacenda said:

Worked in group homes for the mentally challenged for a few years to pay my way through college. Categorizing them as wonderful people drowning in joy seems to me to be inaccurate. Some are as you say while others try to manipulate everyone and others would be in prison if they were not judged incapable. In my experience the best predictor is what kind of home they grew up in but that is imperfect and only a general indicator just as it is for the neurotypical.

I am not saying they do not get accepted into exaltation automatically but the idea that they all act like saints and are all happy seems like wishful thinking.

Edited by The Nehor
4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Working in group homes for the mentally challenged for a few years to pay my way through college. Categorizing them as wonderful people drowning in joy seems to me to be inaccurate. Some are as you say while others try to manipulate everyone and others would be in prison if they were not judged incapable. In my experience the best predictor is what kind of home they grew up in but that is imperfect and only a general indicator just as it is for the neurotypical.

I am not saying they do not get accepted into exaltation automatically but the idea that they all act like saints and are all happy seems like wishful thinking.

As parent of one such I find your characterization spot on. So many overromanticize the mentally handicapped, not realizing they patronize and diminish them.

4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Working in group homes for the mentally challenged for a few years to pay my way through college. Categorizing them as wonderful people drowning in joy seems to me to be inaccurate. Some are as you say while others try to manipulate everyone and others would be in prison if they were not judged incapable. In my experience the best predictor is what kind of home they grew up in but that is imperfect and only a general indicator just as it is for the neurotypical.

I'm just saying it's their personality, their spirit, their character, their souls. Just like saying gays will change automatically in the next life, doesn't seem right. Sure a physical ailment being changed is marvelous, but a being? But I'm open to being wrong, for sure.

Edited by Tacenda