Seriously No Politics ×

Moses and Missionary Work, DC 110

In section 110:11 we read of Moses giving the Keys of the Gathering of Israel "from the four parts of the Earth" Previous to this missionary work was done in the US and Canada but did this giving of the Keys signal international missionary work? we know in 1837 6 or 7 brethren went to England and then on from there, or was the giving of the keys of the gathering something else? Also why wasn't the keys given to gather Israel before, in 1836, when missionary work was done in the US and Canada? Are keys needed specifically for international areas or?

33 minutes ago, Duncan said:

In section 110:11 we read of Moses giving the Keys of the Gathering of Israel "from the four parts of the Earth" Previous to this missionary work was done in the US and Canada but did this giving of the Keys signal international missionary work? we know in 1837 6 or 7 brethren went to England and then on from there, or was the giving of the keys of the gathering something else? Also why wasn't the keys given to gather Israel before, in 1836, when missionary work was done in the US and Canada? Are keys needed specifically for international areas or?

Just some thoughts:

”Priesthood keys are the right to preside over and direct the Church within a jurisdiction.” (https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/new-era/2012/05/priesthood-keys?lang=eng)

To me it seems like they could have gone out and done missionary work, but no divine authority had been given to anyone to direct it. Though there was direction being given and guidance provided, the authority that was had was man made and man given.

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I'm not sure I really have an answer, but as you look I think you should look beyond current political boundaries for the meaning.

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I think it would help you to distinguish missionary work from the gathering of Israel.  Missionaries could be sent all over the world to declare the gospel without any mention of gathering everyone together all in one place.  So yes to your question, the key to declaring the gospel is something else other than the key to gathering all of Israel.  And I think the reason the key to the gathering of Israel wasn't given earlier was because our Lord seems to prefer to do things like that in temples, and  the temple in Kirtland Ohio wasn't ready until about that time. This was the first temple completed in the Restoration and it wasn't dedicated until the week earlier, on March 27th, and here it was on April 3rd that that key, and several others, were given.

Edited by Ahab
5 hours ago, Duncan said:

Interesting how both Elias and Elijah both committed the keys of the dispensation.  Do you know if the keys were given to both JS and Oliver, or just to JS?  Wasn’t very clear.  

8 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

Interesting how both Elias and Elijah both committed the keys of the dispensation.  Do you know if the keys were given to both JS and Oliver, or just to JS?  Wasn’t very clear.  

I don't think Elijah committed any keys, I read it as saying he allowed Joseph and Oliver to turn the key they already got from Peter, James and John

21 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

Elias and Elijah and Moses.  3 men with 3 keys for this dispensation from former dispensations.

from Moses - the keys of the gathering of Israel from the four parts of the earth, and the leading of the ten tribes from the land of the north.

from Elias - the gospel of Abraham, saying that in us and our seed all generations after us should be blessed.

and then Elijah - To turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the children to the fathers, lest the whole earth be smitten with a curse

From the Lord we learn that there is only one on the earth at a time who has the power to exercise all of the keys, and Joseph Smith was that one when he was alive:

And verily I say unto you, that the aconditions of this law are these: All covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, boaths, cvows, performances, connections, associations, or expectations, that are not made and entered into and dsealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, of him who is eanointed, both as well for time and for all eternity, and that too most holy, by frevelation and commandment through the medium of mine anointed, whom I have appointed on the earth to hold this gpower (and I have appointed unto my servant Joseph to hold this hpower in the last days, and there is never but one on the earth at a time on whom this power and the ikeys of this priesthood are conferred), are of no efficacy, virtue, or force in and after the resurrection from the dead; for all contracts that are not made unto this end have an end when men are dead.(see D&C 132:7).

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/duties-and-blessings-of-the-priesthood-basic-manual-for-priesthood-holders-part-b/priesthood-and-church-government/lesson-2-the-keys-of-the-priesthood?lang=eng

Edited by Ahab
10 hours ago, Ahab said:

And I think the reason the key to the gathering of Israel wasn't given earlier was because our Lord seems to prefer to do things like that in temples, and  the temple in Kirtland Ohio wasn't ready until about that time. This was the first temple completed in the Restoration and it wasn't dedicated until the week earlier, on March 27th, and here it was on April 3rd that that key, and several others, were given.

I'm pretty sure you are on the right track with the temple connection.

In the JST, Genesis 50:34 says:

"And the Lord sware unto Joseph that he would preserve his seed forever, saying, I will raise up Moses, and a rod shall be in his hand, and he shall gather together my people, and he shall lead them as a flock, and he shall smite the waters of the Red Sea with his rod."

Moses gathered Israel at the base of mount Sinai and prepared them to receive the covenant.  He brought them there to "meet with God" (Exod 19:17).  Sinai was really the first temple.  So I agree, that the temple was necessary for the gathering to have it's full purpose.

On 11/14/2019 at 1:13 PM, Duncan said:

Some countries, even today will not allow it, also back in the 1800’s we did not have the Army we have now, not to mention the improvised conditions of the Church in that time. In many cases missionaries had to work, to do the work. Many of our missionaries spent (again in that time period) nearly a six to eight months just getting to and from the mission field in which they served. As for Israel, no matter when that land was dedicated, we still can’t serve. This gives now meaning to the scripture, “...the first shall be last, and the last shall be first”. Also, I was struck with fear when I heard “Kuwait recently acknowledged the Church”. Maybe I lack Faith, but I never see a time where it would be safe for any of our missionaries, will be able to serve in any Muslim Nations”.I know why Israel opposes missionary work, but if they did, I know our missionaries would be safe. I also wonder if mainland China will ever allow us to send missionaries. In short, in is one thing to dedicate the “four corners of the earth to missionary work”, but quite another for those countries to open their lands to our missionaries. There was a time, when I was young and had the Faith that it might happen in my lifetime, but now I am too old for that to happen, and I know too much of the world. 

On 11/14/2019 at 1:47 PM, Ahab said:

I think it would help you to distinguish missionary work from the gathering of Israel.  Missionaries could be sent all over the world to declare the gospel without any mention of gathering everyone together all in one place.  So yes to your question, the key to declaring the gospel is something else other than the key to gathering all of Israel.  And I think the reason the key to the gathering of Israel wasn't given earlier was because our Lord seems to prefer to do things like that in temples, and  the temple in Kirtland Ohio wasn't ready until about that time. This was the first temple completed in the Restoration and it wasn't dedicated until the week earlier, on March 27th, and here it was on April 3rd that that key, and several others, were given.

How would missionary work be different from the Gathering of Israel? Aren't the fruits the same? i.e. people taught, baptized/Holy Ghost etc.?

59 minutes ago, Duncan said:

How would missionary work be different from the Gathering of Israel? Aren't the fruits the same? i.e. people taught, baptized/Holy Ghost etc.?

There are all kinds of missions. I was talking about how preaching the gospel is something different than the gathering of Israel.

22 minutes ago, pogi said:

Why?  Does not the gathering of Israel include converting souls?

Not in and of itself.  Gathering is simply gathering.  And preaching is preaching.  Each act is distinct and different, even though one thing is often related to another.

On 11/14/2019 at 1:13 PM, Duncan said:

Keys are the authority to direct. Directing the gathering involves  all activities entailed in the x-fold mission of the Church (preaching, perfecting, living and proxy temple work, caring for the poor and needy in and out of the Church). There is both spiritual and temporal direction for spiritual and physical forms of gathering. Hence the prophet can direct by virtue of the keys (plural!) of the gathering from the four quarters of the earth that Moses restored, whether, where, when and how the spiritual and physical gatherings occur. The keys of any other area of focus mentioned in D&C 110 similarly support the x-fold mission of the Church to aim, coordinate, and synergize any of these activities toward that area of focus.

7 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Not in and of itself.  Gathering is simply gathering.  And preaching is preaching.  Each act is distinct and different, even though one thing is often related to another.

All aspects of missionary work (preaching, teaching, baptising, etc.) are considered harvesting/gathering.  "Thrust in your sickle with your might..."  

6 minutes ago, pogi said:

All aspects of missionary work (preaching, teaching, baptising, etc.) are considered harvesting/gathering.  "Thrust in your sickle with your might..."  

We used to say the Church has a 3-fold mission: Proclaim the gospel, Perfect the saints, and Redeem the dead.  

I think maybe the 3 keys that were given at that temple dedication are for each of those types of missionary work, which I see as different but related.

Moses - perfecting the saints, gathering Israel from the four parts of the earth, and the leading of the ten tribes from the land of the north.

Elias - proclaiming the gospel of Abraham, saying that in us and our seed all generations after us should be blessed.

and Elijah for redeeming the dead, tturn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the children to the fathers, lest the whole earth be smitten with a curse

15 hours ago, Ahab said:

We used to say the Church has a 3-fold mission: Proclaim the gospel, Perfect the saints, and Redeem the dead.  

I think maybe the 3 keys that were given at that temple dedication are for each of those types of missionary work, which I see as different but related.

Moses - perfecting the saints, gathering Israel from the four parts of the earth, and the leading of the ten tribes from the land of the north.

Elias - proclaiming the gospel of Abraham, saying that in us and our seed all generations after us should be blessed.

and Elijah for redeeming the dead, tturn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the children to the fathers, lest the whole earth be smitten with a curse

It has been described as a four-fold mission for awhile (caring for the poor and needy, also a factor in the gathering of Israel, was added I believe under President Monson's term). I used the term "x-fold" above because it could change. The three keys you describe (it is interesting to me that the word "key/s" is not used in verse 12, though it can be inferred from verse 16) can be used for that fourth mission.

I like how the Book of Mormon places a good deal of emphasis on the promises to the gentiles, who are a major part of the latter-day gathering of Israel as well as its scattering prior to the Restoration. They are gathered into the fold and become part of Israel as well. So it appears to me that Moses' keys (plural!) directly pertain to the gentiles as well.