Seriously No Politics ×

Modestly Level 11

Could it be that the mission president is himself a tad... easily tempted... by this bevy of beauties and he is guarding against his own improper impulses?

I guess we aren't going to find out what country this is....

Edited by mfbukowski

This is not church wide so it probably came from the Mission President. If I had to guess something happened and he is trying to compensate. Someone asked by what authority.....unless things have changed since I was out the MP has the ability to alter, add, and remove things from the missionary handbook as he sees fit.

8 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Could it be that the mission president is himself a tad... easily tempted... by this bevy of beauties and he is guarding against his own improper impulses?

Possible, but I doubt it. More likely he had to send some missionaries home for something that happened and he REALLY does not want to do it again and is hoping this will help.

5 hours ago, cinepro said:

My missionary daughter recently sent a picture of her at a baptism, and in the picture the sister missionaries are wearing coats and sweaters over their dresses (inside the building).  We asked if it was cold in the building (because it was still warm outside), because it looked kind of weird for them to be at a baptism with coats on, and we were told that all the sister missionaries have to wear sweaters or jackets whenever they are around Elders.  Because their missionary-approved dresses and shirts just aren't modest enough by themselves, so there needs to be another layer of protection.

If anyone wants to know what it looks like when the focus on "modesty" gets out of hand, this is it.

689728aec9f930e73479ed589f55d177-full.jp

Oh, those sexy sister missionaries.  This is stupidity.

2 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Well after staring at the light switches in the left hand side of the picture I can tell you for sure this picture is not taken in England.  We do not have those types of light switches in England.  Plus a light switch in England you press the bottom of the rocker in to turn on, it is the reverse from North America where you flip the switch up.

Edited by Metis_LDS
clarity
4 hours ago, 2BizE said:

I believe it. As Mormons, one of our favorite things to do is make up extra rules and expect everyone else to follow them.

However, I have noticed in recent years a proliferation of beards among the men in my ward (thankfully not the women, yet).  Is that a sign of rebellion, or is it a new trend?

20 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

However, I have noticed in recent years a proliferation of beards among the men in my ward (thankfully not the women, yet).  Is that a sign of rebellion, or is it a new trend?

I know of several men who have shaved their beards upon joining bishoprics because they were told it was a rule. It wasn’t.  It was one of those passed around rules that didn’t really exist like caffeine.  Perhaps, men in your ward are realizing they can investigate for themselves?

Edited by 2BizE
1 minute ago, 2BizE said:

I know of several men who have shaved their beards upon joining bishoprics because they were told it was a rule. It wasn’t.  It was one of those passed around rules that didn’t really exist like caffeine.  Perhaps, men in your ward are realizing they can investigate for themselves.

We had a new Bishopric two months ago. The Bishop and the 1st council both have beards!

2 hours ago, 2BizE said:

I know of several men who have shaved their beards upon joining bishoprics because they were told it was a rule. It wasn’t.  It was one of those passed around rules that didn’t really exist like caffeine.  Perhaps, men in your ward are realizing they can investigate for themselves?

It probably is the Stake President’s rule.

2 hours ago, 2BizE said:

I have noticed that the beards are proliferating in all ages and types of men in my ward, one a former bishop who is now the EQ Pres.  Others are leaders in non-bishopric positions.   It is starting to look normal, and I was wondering whether it is the new normal.  Is my ward the only place this is happening?

7 hours ago, rockpond said:

I just went and did a google image search for pics of the general RS/YW/primary presidencies to "prove" that wearing suit type coats wasn't necessary... turns out I was wrong:  they all wear suit coats or (what I'm gonna call) lapel-type sweaters in their official presidency photos.

So, I guess that is a thing in the church but if that's going to be the requirement, it should be in the information that the church sends with sisters' mission calls (and perhaps it is).

ETA:  The sisters also seem to wear suit coats in their general conference addresses.  Clearly, I haven't been paying attention to their clothing choices... not an important thing to me.

I agree about it being something that should be sent out before. I don't have a daughter out, but I was a little irritated that these sisters were needing to go out and buy them once they got to the mission, despite several of the moms saying they are usually able to buy them at thrift stores.

My husband has been wearing a beard since he could manage one except for the few years in a high council where the SP insisted no beards....so 30some odd years.  I have noticed more slowly over that time.  What is significant now imo is younger men wearing rather full beards rather then neatly trimmed ones.  I believe that has been a general fashion trend for about five years.  Not my preference, give me a neat beard every time, not looking like someone decided not to shave for a few days or weeks or long enough to grab and pull or collect food.

Edited by Calm
6 hours ago, Metis_LDS said:

We had a new Bishopric two months ago. The Bishop and the 1st council both have beards!

Same here. Our newly called bishop has kept his beard. Members keep asking him when he will shave because they believe it’s a rule. It’s not. 

16 hours ago, Maidservant said:

I actually feel upset about this for a different reason. This came to me this conference. They are all wearing suits.

I know it is to put out a professional/reverent? image. But I really don't understand how the only way we can be reverent is in a dress code. That very little of who the women (and men) are comes through. Power color ties and suits. Is this what we are asking of our leaders? That we need to see it look like this to know we are being led properly? I don't even know what I'm saying, I'm trying to articulate what I find sad about it, but I don't think I hit the nugget yet.

Our Savior was being most reverent, respectful and honorable to the Father in his birth suit hung up on a tree. The over-concern about any skin seems almost repressive to me - an over-reaction that reminds me of Islamic attitudes - it deals with the outer rather than the inner. I think that is what bothers you. Our Savior spoke somewhat on this saying to be watchful of those who like to wear fancy clothes and speak much - at some point "the show" smells of pretense. Pretense does not impress our Savior... I don't know... maybe bare forearms are a turn on or are irreverent to some... I don't see it. Better not get in one of those baptismal jumpsuits I guess...

We recently lived in a small town, cowboy area so we are talking handlebar mustaches and mountain man beards. (Of course, not everyone does it, but some do with (I hope) no problem. (I moved out of this area, this year.)

When my boys were growing up (my oldest was a boy), they were feeling manly with their beards. Sometimes they'd ask me things about like the length of their hair and should they try a mohawk and I told them, "I am not going to make hair rules." Because out of all the guidance and judgment I need to make as a mother, that would be a waste in my opinion, hair and clothes rules. An adolescent has a deep need for expression in that manner in this time of their life and it is unhealthy to remove that from them, imo. I did tell them, "Your dad (who was deceased) and your grandmother might have a problem with your hair and such. And others might. You might not be the same as what you see in church. If you can handle all that, and it's still important to you, I'm not going to say anything."

My oldest son went back and forth between a beard and not (I personally think he looks better clean shaven, but the beard is also nice; he stays clean shaven for his employment these days), my second son to this day in his early twenties simply does not have an attractive beard, it grows in irregularly, so he keeps it shaved. My third son was almost always beard, and he looked good; passed the sacrament, etc. On a mission at the moment, so clean shaven, not sure what he'll choose when he gets back. Might be up to his wife. My youngest son is still coming in to his beard and mustache, so he wants to see what happens first and doesn't want to shave until he knows he's a real man ;).  But he has been adamant about keeping sideburns, of which he has some healthy ones which are even curling right now. I don't know where he got this, I want to scream and tell him they weren't a good idea even in the 70s, ha ha, but again, it's none of my business as it is an artistic decision.

Edited by Maidservant
1 hour ago, rockpond said:

In 2012 when I was called to serve as a bishop’s counselor the stake president asked me to shave off my goatee.  I asked why and he said that “we follow the Brethren”. 

I believed that it was his personal opinion and not an actually policy or doctrine but I said I’d shave (and stayed that way ever since) out of respect for the Bishop who had asked me to serve as his counselor (and not wanting to create any stress or issues for him). 

I spoke with a counselor in a Stake Presidency who has a killer mustache. He told the story of how as a bishop he kept his beard. But when he was called to the stake presidency, it was a rule that they couldn’t have beards, but mustaches were fine. Not sure if it is church wide or just a regional rule made by the area 70