Seriously No Politics ×

Thoughts on conference

4 hours ago, JAHS said:

He did say "a bicentennial year". So he did not specify the organization of the church. I guess that will be another "a bicentennial year" . 

The context was the First Vision, not the organization of the Church. The two events are a decade apart. This is not a difficult concept. 

And yes, there can be another bicentennial in 10 years. I expect to be alive then and will be able to say that I witnessed as an adult both the sesquicentennial and bicentennial of the organization of the Church. 

7 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Well, fundwise, I can only do so much. But volunteering wise, lots.

So it is with the Church. It does a great deal fund- and resource-wise, but lots more volunteering-wise. How does one measure the worth of millions of acts of service members perform every year?

Edited by Bernard Gui
7 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

No one caught Elder Bednar’s pun? He compared the predatory behaviors of cheetahs as they hunt topis with Satan’s predations on unsuspecting human by quoting 2 Nephi 28:21....

Props to Sister Gui for catching this.

I think Sister Gui may have been giving Elder Uchtdorf a bit too much credit for punnery (to coin a term). 

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I think Sister Gui may have been giving Elder Uchtdorf a bit too much credit for punnery (to coin a term). 

I’ve heard that he’s quite the prankster....

11 hours ago, changed said:

the crowd tried to silence the man, but he cried all the more... why not quote a little more?

...we can sence the man's distress, we can almost hear him shouting,  we smile at his refusal to be silent.....

People in distress outside who need help, and found nothing.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/10/05/todays-historic-march-end/

No soap boxes.

spiritually insensitive people around him.

Would you be willing to post Elder Hollands words that have caused the offense? 

You accuse him of hypocrisy and laughing  laughing at sam young....I am curious of what I missed in Elder words.

Just now, provoman said:

Elder Holland used the phrase "Heavenly Parents" in his opening talk Saturday morning. From what I have in various forums and online articles, the phrase "Heavenly Parents" has been associated with the General Women Session from Saturday night. 

The new YW theme, introduced in the Women’s session, now has young women declaring that they are daughters of Heavenly Parents (used to be daughters of Heavenly Father).  I think this is a great change. 

57 minutes ago, provoman said:

Elder Holland used the phrase "Heavenly Parents" in his opening talk Saturday morning. From what I have in various forums and online articles, the phrase "Heavenly Parents" has been associated with the General Women Session from Saturday night. 

You should listen to Elder Oaks talk from that session- major major talk on LGBT stuff that it seems everyone has missed.

2 hours ago, provoman said:

Would you be willing to post Elder Hollands words that have caused the offense? 

You accuse him of hypocrisy and laughing  laughing at sam young....I am curious of what I missed in Elder words.

He commented jokingly about the usual anti-Mormon protesters and their soap boxes, telling LDS folks that they are going to hell, and now Elder Holland's remarks are somehow being interpreted as being in favor of child abuse

This kind of twisting of meanings is absolutely diabolical- I have never seen anything like it before in my life.   It is so blatantly absurd that it could not even be slightly credible for any fair-minded person (pun not intended ;) but there anyway)

Edited by mfbukowski
1 hour ago, rockpond said:

The new YW theme, introduced in the Women’s session, now has young women declaring that they are daughters of Heavenly Parents (used to be daughters of Heavenly Father).  I think this is a great change. 

Not so new- this goes back to at least 2014 but it seems no one noticed this talk unless you were there

https://www.fairmormon.org/conference/august-2014/womans-church

On 10/5/2019 at 5:56 PM, SteveO said:

Alright, probably an instance where I’m a man, and can’t empathize.  Not interested in having this conversation.  I’ll just leave it.

And shame on you for even insinuating when women want to be offended that you would offer any conflicting info on being offended! We have raised a generation that has being offended as their first and foremost priority. Let me be offended and let me worry over it as much as I want. 

Lesson to be learned? Never, ever contradict a woman in public who wants to be offended by anything and everything she might choose. 

Mahatma Gandhi often talked about a Buddhist thought of having no expectations. Forfeiting our expectations releases us from disappointment and anxiety over a future event that we have no control over. Many of the saints have taught this same principle - why should we worry over things we have no control. Having faith in God leads us to conclude that he will make things alright - even grand. To worry about them is strictly a mortal condition that has no part in what will be should enter into the Celestial Kingdom. 

Edited by Storm Rider
19 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

You should listen to Elder Oaks talk from that session- major major talk on LGBT stuff that it seems everyone has missed.

My wife came home from the women's session (which she attended with our two primary aged daughters) wondering why they are encouraging mothers to bring their 8 to 12 year old daughters if they are going to include talks like this.   President Oaks' talk introduced concepts and issues that we are not ready to broach with our young daughters.

I listened to it this morning.  It's a common theme for Pres. Oaks.  At least he continually emphasized the need to love LGBT persons while reminding us that exaltation is reserved for families headed by a man and a woman.  He also counseled leaders to avoid making LGBT members feel marginalized, while he gave a talk that apparently made many LGBT members feel marginalized.  Some irony there but still good counsel.

12 hours ago, blueglass said:

I liked President Nelson's report on humanitarian aid.  Would like to see this accompanied with a full financial report on where the funds are dispersed and the prospectus for the next year, 5year plan.

Attached is the official church financial report for 1936 (see pgs2-3), as well as the last publicly available report from 1959 (see pg92) on 1958 financials . 

https://archive.org/details/conferencereport1936a/page/n3

https://archive.org/details/conferencereport1959a/page/n93

Until we have a church president interested in reforming our church finances, this will likely never be the practice again.

Instead, we'll likely see the church membership report go the same way as the financial report.

10 minutes ago, rockpond said:

My wife came home from the women's session (which she attended with our two primary aged daughters) wondering why they are encouraging mothers to bring their 8 to 12 year old daughters if they are going to include talks like this.   President Oaks' talk introduced concepts and issues that we are not ready to broach with our young daughters.

I listened to it this morning.  It's a common theme for Pres. Oaks.  At least he continually emphasized the need to love LGBT persons while reminding us that exaltation is reserved for families headed by a man and a woman.  He also counseled leaders to avoid making LGBT members feel marginalized, while he gave a talk that apparently made many LGBT members feel marginalized.  Some irony there but still good counsel.

From what I've seen in other places, I think that some schools are teaching about LGBT issues as early as the first grade.  That could be why Pres. Oaks feels that an 8 year old isn't to young to understand the church's beliefs on how God feels about it.

1 hour ago, rockpond said:

Thank you. Being written and part of youth program signifies the importance of the belief and solidifies the belief.

4 minutes ago, bluebell said:

From what I've seen in other places, I think that some schools are teaching about LGBT issues as early as the first grade.  That could be why Pres. Oaks feels that an 8 year old isn't to young to understand the church's beliefs on how God feels about it.

That could be true.  But our schools do not.

40 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Can't win for losing. D if you do, D if you don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KThlYHfIVa8

19 minutes ago, rockpond said:

It's probably coming.  Last spring Colorado lawmakers voted to mandate LGBTQ curriculum for K-12 public school students.  I'm not sure if the governor actually signed the bill into law or not.  

California is the most well-known state to making teaching LGBT issues mandatory in public schools, though from what i've read they only approved their first textbook on the subject in 2017 (though the law has been on the books since 2011) so it's slow going for most of them.  And I think that California is the only state where it's required in elementary schools, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

38 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Welcome to the real world.  It's that dang train bringing in all them Easterners and the devil with 'em.

Oops make that the Californicaters 

Edited by mfbukowski

8 years olds absolutely need to be educated by parents before they are educated by anyone else about sexuality. Imo. 

1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

Not so new- this goes back to at least 2014 but it seems no one noticed this talk unless you were there

https://www.fairmormon.org/conference/august-2014/womans-church

To emphasize a change like this that is repeated weekly is very significant.  It is an equal nod to both father and mother, which emphasizes every young Women’s potential as a goddess. Weekly. Weekly.  Weekly. ;)

11 hours ago, Calm said:

He is great at keeping a straight face if so.

Keeping a straight face is an essential aspect of a good punster. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
On 10/6/2019 at 7:50 AM, juliann said:

Of course he didn’t intend to. But he did and did it on a very tender topic for many women. Denying or spinning it is part of the greater problem we have as church members. It isolates those it wounds. We badly need to move away from the idea that male leaders can never have a bad day. 

I think the part people found funny was where he said that the woman had asked "Will I have to live in the same house as her or will I get another house to live in" (not sure those are the exact words but as close as I can remember).

The way I see it, people who receive celestial glory will get along fine with all other people of celestial glory, so whose house someone will live in is rather a trivial concern for anyone contemplating receiving celestial glory.

Like the bishop of those other people someone else talked about in his talk said: You're worrying about the wrong things.  You need to worry about whether or not you will make it. Instead of complaining about how you don't like the idea of them getting married.