Seriously No Politics ×

Thoughts on conference

47 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

A little bit, I do think. 

So, someone had taken a huge amount of trouble to dress up completely differently from how everyone else was dressing, and paraded around in a place where they were sure to be noticed, and because someone was wondering why they were doing this, that's some kind of phobia?  

If they had been white guys wandering down the mall dressed in Hell's Angels garb, and I wondered what the heck they were doing, what would that be?  Hellsangelophobia? 

People who dress in Halloween costumes on October 31 and go door to door after the sun goes down get given candy.  Nobody gives it much thought.  But if they dress like that on July 4th and go door to door after the sun goes down, will people wonder what is going on?

1 minute ago, rockpond said:

Did he raise the bar for temple recommend worthiness?  The questions seemed mostly the same, though worded better, except for the law of chastity question which certainly got expanded (in a good way). Is that what you're thinking of in terms of raising the bar?

Sabbath Day was expanded upon in my opinion.  It caught my attention because it’s one I personally need to work on.

10 minutes ago, Calm said:

A quarter of all deaths being from nonIslam terrorists doesn’t translate to me to being “virtually every single instance”.

Majority, sure. Nearly all, not even close.

Add-on:  Misread this, do you have percentages for all Islamic terrorists groups?

It would have to be under 5% for nonIslamic terrorism for me to agree to “nearly all” and 1-2% for “virtually every single instance”.

getting off topic, so dropping this if you don’t want to respond if you won’t get a response back.

OK, “virtually every single instance” is an exaggeration.  But listening to the news you might think otherwise.  

And yes, it's off topic, so let's drop it.

10 minutes ago, changed said:

The biggest group this year, that has been in the news etc, was Sam Young, protesting child abuse.  It was well publicized, the march was happening as Holland was giving his very insensitive remarks.

"Such a quest for faith and conviction is our quest in these Conferences. By joining with us today you will realize this search is a broadly shared endevor. look around you. Here on these grounds you see families, missionaries finding old companions, protestors shout from their favorite soap box...."

Edited by provoman
8 minutes ago, changed said:

The biggest group this year, that has been in the news etc, was Sam Young, protesting child abuse.  It was well publicized, the march was happening as Holland was giving his very insensitive remarks.

For the last decade or more there has been a large number of street protestors at every General Conference, screeching about how the Mormons are going to hell, deliberately dressing in temple ceremonial garb to mock it, and using temple garments as boot scrapers -- and you think that Elder Holland was making fun of Sam Young?  You're not at all a single-issue poster, are you?

alw37.jpgalw08.jpg

alw52.jpgalw06.jpg

8 minutes ago, rockpond said:

My prediction for the next conference:  talks will be broadcast from the Sacred Grove (or nearby).  Or maybe each session from a different historically important location. 

That would be too cool! I would definitely drive over to Nauvoo or to Kirtland to see that!

16 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

So, someone had taken a huge amount of trouble to dress up completely differently from how everyone else was dressing, and paraded around in a place where they were sure to be noticed, and because someone was wondering why they were doing this, that's some kind of phobia?  

If they had been white guys wandering down the mall dressed in Hell's Angels garb, and I wondered what the heck they were doing, what would that be?  Hellsangelophobia? 

People who dress in Halloween costumes on October 31 and go door to door after the sun goes down get given candy.  Nobody gives it much thought.  But if they dress like that on July 4th and go door to door after the sun goes down, will people wonder what is going on?

Yeah, a bunch of young men with short hair and nametags on white shirts with ties and dress pants freak me out every time I see them going around places where they are sure to be noticed.

In the situation you describe, I would think tourists or local group out having fun after a gettogether, possibly at their local mosque.

Edited by Calm

18 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

It wouldn't have phased me and you said yourself that most other people didn't take notice, but then I've spent time in Israel. I've been to mosques there and here. I've eaten dinner with Muslims. I've held their children. I've visited with them in their living room. I've listened to them expressing faith. 

What would I think if I saw smiling Muslim men in a group? That they were happy just as I would think if I saw my son and his friends smiling in a group. And if they were trolling for reactions like you think? Who cares? I've seen groups of young men who were white dressed in American clothes doing the same thing.

Islam does not equal Islamic terrorist just as Mormon does not equal Mormon bishop child abuser.

What the church is doing is showing that we are all God's children.

2 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

The Puns of Conference.

Elder Andersen with yet another pun! “An appealing subject......................fruit.”

I wonder if anyone here played that off-the-wall game as missionaries in which a companion would give an missionary some off-the-wall word and challenge him or her to sneak it into a door approach?  I wonder if General Authorities do the same with puns? :D :rofl: :D (I wonder if anybody has kept track of such things over the years? "Elder Anderson ... 7 Puns, Elder Holland ... 3 Puns ...")

2 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I wonder if anyone here played that off-the-wall game as missionaries in which a companion would give an missionary some off-the-wall word and challenge him or her to sneak it into a door approach?  I wonder if General Authorities do the same with puns? :D :rofl: :D (I wonder if anybody has kept track of such things over the years? "Elder Anderson ... 7 Puns, Elder Holland ... 3 Puns ...")

I’d pick super hard words for my companion, I wasn’t very nice! Haha

41 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

For the last decade or more there has been a large number of street protestors at every General Conference, screeching about how the Mormons are going to hell, deliberately dressing in temple ceremonial garb to mock it, and using temple garments as boot scrapers -- and you think that Elder Holland was making fun of Sam Young?  You're not at all a single-issue poster, are you?

alw37.jpgalw08.jpg

alw52.jpgalw06.jpg

Following the session of Conference at which I sang in the Combined Tooele Area Choir in October 2014, it was interesting to "walk the gauntlet," with protesters screeching the usual on one side and missionaries and others singing, on the other. ;) 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Ask my husband, I donate constantly to gofundme or other charities I trust. I told him recently, when he got upset that I donated to someone's health needs on gofundme, I said, well, we don't pay tithing anymore so here's a chance where I can still help.

Before when we were full tithe payers for over 30 years, my husband would say the church takes care of things, when I'd want to donate to things. Now I feel I can donate to other things instead, and have some control where the funds go. 

So think what you want, and I do still pay fast offerings.  

I don't  think you answered the question. 

How big is the gulf between what you do and what you could be doing?

That was what you are asking of the church.

Edited by Danzo
14 minutes ago, SettingDogStar said:

Yeah, I felt that was slightly dishonest. Not intentionally so, obviously, but not stating the date (unless he did and I missed it) makes it sound like a much bigger donation then it is compared to the wealth of the church itself.

He did. Clearly. 

59 minutes ago, rockpond said:

My prediction for the next conference:  talks will be broadcast from the Sacred Grove (or nearby).  Or maybe each session from a different historically important location. 

that was my older sister's thought-mind you remote location conference has been done previous, i.e. April 1980 but as I say maybe Joseph Smith and Oliver or Brigham Young or Sidney Rigdon will make an appearance-and the real ones not some actor chap named Gary.....or some such thing