What I like about being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

23 hours ago, RevTestament said:

I see that as a weakness of the hierarchical structure of the earthly Church, so I empathize with you to this extent, even though my other truths are somewhat different from yours.. The Church has assumed that only the president is going to receive the mysteries of God. To the extent that its structure discourages looking for truth outside of the current paradigm, it is frustrating. Do we really believe that the president is going to be the most exalted? Somehow that doesn't seem to jive with Yeshua's words that the greatest among us shall be the least. So yes, I agree that the Church teaches us that we are each responsible for our part in this life, and not to expect others to solve all our problems. However, I would add that the Church needs to accept its teaching that truth is acceptable from whatever source it comes instead of hunkering down behind earthly authority as it tends to do. As you say it assumes there is more to learn, but then sometimes discourages questions against its current paradigm. But you have to give it credit for teaching the principles even if it has issues following them itself - that we are still learning precept upon precept. When I began to have serious doubts about the orthodox interpretation of scripture, the open "theology"/outlook of the Church was appealing to me. But yes, there is a "natural" conflict/tension between the Church's own teaching, and its conception of authority. The things that initially struck me as true and godly about the Church - it's concern for others including the dead who have not had the opportunity to hear the gospel, still strike me as being the true gospel, and incidentally, the Church is the only organization which has consistently pursued this work - even among those who have schismed from the Church - other sects of Mormonism if you will. Why is this so? Is it because this Church is the only one which has remained true to the restored gospel?

I have to disagree here. Anyone can receive the mysteries of God and will as quickly as they become worthy and ready and trusted with it. They just are not supposed to share them until the leaders declare them publicly. No, Jesus said the greatest among us will be a servant. I think the apostles generally fit that description though of course so do many others. Some have some prominence but most do not.

• Like 1

This may explain.  A friend of mine wrote in words to these effects, as to why we alphas fight for the good, in this case for the children.

~~~

Fighting the good fight gets very tiring.  But we go on because we are doing good.  We are the one thing that holds the wolves at bay.

Here’s where the hierarchy comes into play – we are the alphas, the ones that fight for decency and the common good.

Are we winning?  That is not important, the important part is the fighting.  We all have to stand for something in this life – we have to fight for something.  Some people go their whole lives without standing up or against something that’s wrong.  We don’t want to be those people, so that means we play by the rules, fight the fights, and take the shots, and stand by the children.

1 minute ago, Jake Starkey said:

This may explain.  A friend of mine wrote in words to these effects, as to why we alphas fight for the good, in this case for the children.

~~~

Fighting the good fight gets very tiring.  But we go on because we are doing good.  We are the one thing that holds the wolves at bay.

Here’s where the hierarchy comes into play – we are the alphas, the ones that fight for decency and the common good.

Are we winning?  That is not important, the important part is the fighting.  We all have to stand for something in this life – we have to fight for something.  Some people go their whole lives without standing up or against something that’s wrong.  We don’t want to be those people, so that means we play by the rules, fight the fights, and take the shots, and stand by the children.

While I agree that the fight for truth is important I hate the Alpha, Beta, Omega Wolfpack concept. It comes from wolves and it has been shown that not even wolves actually follow it. The guy who created the hierarchical structure for wolves after further studying wolves disavowed it. He found that those who he thought were alpha wolves were generally just recent parents.

5 hours ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

like having something immediately in common with at least a small fraction of people wherever I go in the US.  It makes it much easier for an introverted recluse like me.

A good percentage of the world. 

Having a branch to attend when we lived in Moscow in the winter and spring of 96 pulled me out of the despair I felt when we arrived and I realized the conditions we would be living in (significant social isolation as most Russians wouldn’t even make eye contact even when neighbours seeing us day after day, assistants in stores would show no engagement except to hand us what we pointed to...it was as if we were surrounded by mute robots).

Every Sunday walking into the school where our branch met, I could feel my body unwind its tension. 

Add-on:  the street fairs otoh were filled with entrepreneurs who were trying to do more than just get a paycheck and so were eager to strike up conversations, so much more fun to shop there...but too many warnings about contaminated food to have them be our primary resource. 

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I have to disagree here. Anyone can receive the mysteries of God and will as quickly as they become worthy and ready and trusted with it. They just are not supposed to share them until the leaders declare them publicly. No, Jesus said the greatest among us will be a servant. I think the apostles generally fit that description though of course so do many others. Some have some prominence but most do not.

Some things aren't and will never be shared publicly, so those who wait will be waiting forever...

and 

P.S. Luke 9:48

48 ...Whosoever shall receive this child in my aname receiveth me: and whosoever shall breceive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be cgreat.

Edited by RevTestament
6 hours ago, Kevin Christensen said:

Alma 32 has a passage where Alma talks about how you do the experiment, see the growth, experience the expansion of the mind, the enlargement of the soul that goes with genuine learning, and asks, "If you knowledge perfect?"  And the answer, "Nay," but you have to continue the process.......................

I recall having arrived for a full-time university education back in 1963, then completing two semesters, and realizing that I had actually changed in that short time.  My vocabulary and self-confidence had increased.  I was both pleased and astonished.

• Like 1