Seriously No Politics ×

Topless in your own home...maybe not in Utah

provoman

42 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

This is sexist and inappropriate, and worst of all insensitive and body shaming. You could hurt someone's feelings and their self esteem for a lifetime. They might commit suicide because of you.

I had a male buddy who died of breast cancer. In his last days he wanted to go to the beach but would not because of people like you.

eye-roll-meme-11-featured.jpg?fit=1440,1

1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

Really? This is a thing that deserves abbreviation?

Why not "wopwuti"?

Wearing only pants while under the influence?

Wopwuti has a much better doo-whoppy kind of ring to it. :)

I just adapted DUI...I like playing/painting with words, but generally control myself in public.

1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

This is sexist and inappropriate, and worst of all insensitive and body shaming. You could hurt someone's feelings and their self esteem for a lifetime. They might commit suicide because of you.

I had a male buddy who died of breast cancer. In his last days he wanted to go to the beach but would not because of people like you.

Could be he meant guys who were in love with their own bodies and excessively flaunted them...I include them in my eeewww category (men with breasts, I assume health issues as my grandfather had and not bothered by them).

My biggest problem is with guys who go on and on judging the state of women's bodies around them, how they shouldn't be wearing the clothes they are because they are unattractive, while giving no thought to their own appearance.  Women doing the same should be banned from beaches as well.

People should be comfortable at the beach, just avoid too tight clothing that makes me worry it is going to pop.  Nudity would be better, in fact.

Edited by Calm

I can't believe I actually have to explain this, but here goes - Do I think it should actually be illegal for some men to go without a shirt in public?  No.  Of course not.  I was using sarcasm and humor to poke fun at the express sexism in the existing law prohibiting a female from being topless.  We have, as a society, over-sexualized so many elements of the human female's body and my comment was a reversal of the kind of thinking that led to our current environment in which a woman could be arrested for not wearing a top in her own home in an attempt to express my feelings on the absurdity of the whole thing.  So, no, @mfbukowski I am not the heartless, evil, degenerate you attempted to characterize me as based on your jaundiced and cynical reading of my post.  

5 hours ago, ttribe said:

I can't believe I actually have to explain this, but here goes - Do I think it should actually be illegal for some men to go without a shirt in public?  No.  Of course not.  I was using sarcasm and humor to poke fun at the express sexism in the existing law prohibiting a female from being topless.  We have, as a society, over-sexualized so many elements of the human female's body and my comment was a reversal of the kind of thinking that led to our current environment in which a woman could be arrested for not wearing a top in her own home in an attempt to express my feelings on the absurdity of the whole thing.  So, no, @mfbukowski I am not the heartless, evil, degenerate you attempted to characterize me as based on your jaundiced and cynical reading of my post.  

And not even an eye roll? I am crushed.

Welcome to the other side of political correctness. Jaundiced, cynical  and frustrating doesn't even start the list when you are on the receiving end

15 hours ago, ttribe said:

One of the reason offered by the prosecutor has to do with other laws, presumably about sexual assault and the female breast, would be more difficult to prosecute.

Without knowing the full details of those other laws, it is difficult to imagine that the Legislature could not pass a law making it illegal to molest a child or adult - as there is no reason to single out the female breast in terms of sexual assault on a child or adult.  And so, it appears that Topless law are about female body sexualization. 

The State of Utah law does not prohibit an exposed female breast if the individual is breast feeding.

Edited by provoman

Once upon a time I was an undergraduate student at BYU. I took an anatomy class, and when we learning about reproduction, the sexual organs were put into two categories: primary and secondary. The primary organs are necessary for reproduction, while the secondary organs are not, but play a supportive role. The female breast is in the supportive role. It can act as a turn on for the male and...well...you know. I suspect that the male breast doesn't have quite the same effect on females (or at least not as intense).

When children are involved, I believe it's important to maintain boundaries. I think it's dangerous to claim that a family with children can dress (or not) however they want inside the walls of their own home. How this woman acted when accidentally viewed by the children will be important.

48 minutes ago, Thinking said:

When children are involved, I believe it's important to maintain boundaries. I think it's dangerous to claim that a family with children can dress (or not) however they want inside the walls of their own home. How this woman acted when accidentally viewed by the children will be important.

What about the traditional communal bathing of entire Japanese families?

10 hours ago, Thinking said:

What about it?

When it is the culture of Japanese families to do communal bathing, nakedness of the members are not usually sexualized.  I assume that the family would keep it private for themselves and NOT be exposed to outsiders.

• 4 months later...

In a current lawsuit against the State of Washington, one of the reasons given for removing two little boys from the home of their father and grandfather grandfather is that an adult uncle walked around the house naked or wearing a diaper. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 1:59 AM, Bernard Gui said:

In a current lawsuit against the State of Washington, one of the reasons given for removing two little boys from the home of their father and grandfather grandfather is that an adult uncle walked around the house naked or wearing a diaper. 

What were the other reasons?

On 10/7/2019 at 2:07 PM, longview said:

What about the traditional communal bathing of entire Japanese families?

Weirdos.

On 10/11/2019 at 12:27 AM, sunstoned said:

communal bathing is common in some parts of Indonesia.  It was also common in ancient Greece, the in the Ottoman and Roman Empires.  People view things through their cultural lens.  What might be unacceptable and even outlawed in one culture is the norm in another. 

Weirdos, weirdos, and weirdos.

On 3/13/2020 at 1:59 AM, Calm said:

I listened to a podcast called “Cold” recently. It’s an extremely long and detailed account of the Powell saga but absolutely fascinating. IIRC, for a time, Josh and the boys were living with Steven and an uncle who wore diapers sometimes. (unless I dreamed that part- I am getting old) The unhealthy environment in that home was why the boys were removed from Josh’s custody until he could find a suitable living arrangement. 

5 hours ago, katherine the great said:

I listened to a podcast called “Cold” recently. It’s an extremely long and detailed account of the Powell saga but absolutely fascinating. IIRC, for a time, Josh and the boys were living with Steven and an uncle who wore diapers sometimes. (unless I dreamed that part- I am getting old) The unhealthy environment in that home was why the boys were removed from Josh’s custody until he could find a suitable living arrangement. 

BG mentioned it was this case in another thread. 

I am wondering now what his point was, if it was just an FYI or he was trying convey something else as well.