Clark Goble passed away!

Bede

1 hour ago, ALarson said:

This is such sad news.  I always enjoyed reading his posts and insights here.

I see that there is a gofundme page set up (with more information about his passing and his life):

https://www.gofundme.com/f/clark-goble?fbclid=IwAR2mZJzZysE_xoVFglbapdllRGxXBAQp5MqM22m8SrBX2Nhs5nJWmx8drhc

I noticed the amount was exceeded, I hope it continues to go up. 

So sorry to hear of this.  Much love and condolences to friends and family.  The world has lost knowledge and a very decent human being.

9 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Well I am sure everyone is well aware of why folks may have a jaundiced view of Steve Jones-

Care to elaborate?  I would be interested to learn what you think about Steve Jones' 9/11 science.  PM me, if you would . . . not wanting to hijack a memorial thread.

He was so thoughtful and respectful in whatever he wrote. I wish his family peace :( 

With luv,

BD

47 minutes ago, blarsen said:

Care to elaborate?  I would be interested to learn what you think about Steve Jones' 9/11 science.  PM me, if you would . . . not wanting to hijack a memorial thread.

I will make one post here and then go to pm if necessary, or if you want to reply. PM problems recently.

I don't really have an opinion except that it just seems like a crackpot theory to me. The first time I heard about it was yesterday on Wikipedia. I did not even read the article very well myself. And I know nothing about the physics.

On the other hand I would not minimize the prejudice against BYU in the rest of Academia. If it comes out of BYU it must be a crackpot theory. At least that is my experience.  If there is more, let's go to pm

• Like 1

I will miss him and his good insights.  Amazing how death can be such a big surprise sometimes.  I had no idea death was coming so soon for him.  Sorry to hear that he went before his wife and children. 

My wife will likely go before I do and that's the way I would rather have it.  I can tolerate being alone without feeling lonely better than she can.

I know that Clark and I have both been on the various iterations of this board from the beginning and I've enjoyed quite a few stimulating discussions with him.  My sympathies and condolences to his family.  

Phaedrus  

• Like 1

Absolutely tragic. Terrible. I've never met Clark in person & haven't been a close e-friend of his, but I've been engaged (on/off) on message boards with him for what must be close to 30 years. He's always been so amazingly intelligent and thoughtful. My heart breaks for his family and I'm stunned at his death at such a young age (I'm only about 6 years older than him myself). 

What a loss for his family and the LDS e-community.

Mike Ash

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I noticed the amount was exceeded, I hope it continues to go up. 

They exceeded the first goal of $2500 early evening iirc yesterday, which I was happy to see. So they doubled that and have already exceeded an hour or two ago when I last checked. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Calm said:

They exceeded the first goal of $2500 early evening iirc yesterday, which I was happy to see. So they doubled that and have already exceeded an hour or two ago when I last checked. 

To me, starting a page for $2500 indicates that they really need much more.  I hope it keeps pouring in.

I am taking this harder than I would have imagined, I need to change my ways.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Steve J said:

I have missed his presence here greatly the past few weeks

Same here.

I attended the viewing (it was my wife's birthday, so I could not attend the funeral service itself).  It was at once a sobering and hopeful thing.  

Thanks,

-Smac

• Like 4
On 9/9/2019 at 9:18 PM, Anijen said:

Truly sad to hear. He was such a good man.

This reminds me of something I told a fellow mourner (whom I did not know) at my sister-in-law's funeral.  When he said, "Rita was a good woman," I immediately, almost instinctively, said, "Is."  When I thought about our exchange later, I hoped he didn't think I was upset with him, since my response was so immediate.  She passed away not long before Father's Day, and in the Father's Day message I gave my brother a couple of weeks later, I wrote, "You know where she is.  Hold onto that."  His family knows where he is, and so do we.  Not that we shouldn't mourn his death (indeed, in the Book of Mormon and in Doctrine and Covenants, we're commanded to mourn). 

I don't necessarily hold to the rule that says we must immediately begin to refer to those who have passed on in the past tense, as though they are no more.  They are, simply, elsewhere.  (In the short run, that may seem like cold comfort, but it won't be in the long run.)  It's also worth remembering that for every sorrowful parting that occurs on this side of the veil, there is at least one joyful reunion that occurs on the other side of the veil.

My $0.02.  It's likely that your mileage varies.  I wish you well. :) 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I didn't have much experience w/Clark's input on this blog, but was generally impressed with the degree he seemed to put into his research and comments.  I was especially intrigued to learn he had a BS in physics . . . and from BYU.  In  the light of this background, I would have been highly interested in exploring the reasons for his rather disparaging view of Steve Jones.  But alas.  Not to be, at this point.

• Like 1
On 11/12/2019 at 3:39 AM, Steve J said:

Today just really missing his contributions on here

Me too.

He's the only one who kept me in check and showed me when I was wrong.  ;)

On 9/10/2019 at 10:30 AM, jkwilliams said:

I was really hoping this wasn’t true. I’ve made a lot of friends over the years from this board, and I was blessed to call Clark a friend. It probably had more to do with our shared passion for good chocolate, but even though we disagreed as much as we agreed about religion, philosophy, and language, we never exchanged an unkind word. He was unfailingly kind and charitable, and he went out of his way to listen to people, no matter how much he disagreed. 

I am deeply saddened to lose not only a friend but one of the kindest voices on this board. God bless his wife and family with peace. 

Me give YOU a rep point?

Keep an eye out for porcine flyers.  ;)  :friends: