Seriously No Politics ×

Question about Temple Presidency Requirements

LDSLily

Hi there, I had a question come up tonight and thought it was time to find a place I could ask questions...

Can Temple Presidency members ever visit family? My understanding is that Mission Presidents can't, but what about Temple Presidency members? 

15 hours ago, LDSLily said:

Hi there, I had a question come up tonight and thought it was time to find a place I could ask questions...

Can Temple Presidency members ever visit family? My understanding is that Mission Presidents can't, but what about Temple Presidency members? 

Kind of an odd question.  What prompts it?  

Mission presidents are serving full-time missions.  Temple presidents and their counselors are not, even though the calling is full-time.  Pretty sure there's no restriction on them visiting family, because usually they are local to their temple district.  It would be kind of odd they couldn't visit family, because normally they continue to live in their own homes and attend their home wards.

Edited by Stargazer

Mission Presidents often have family members visit them and I believe can, if the cost is high, use church funds to help their adult children come visit. They generally do not go home to visit others though occasionally the Mission President’s wife will go visit family. Not sure how common that is though.

Temple Presidents see family all the time. I am good friends with a Mission President’s daughter. She saw her mom and dad about twice a month when she lived nearby.

Edited by The Nehor

Yes, they're typically called to the area they live, but what if they don't live near family and typically have traveled to visit their kids, grandkids, parents, etc a few times a year? Would they be restricted from visiting them until they are released? 

As for what prompted the question: I had someone (not someone with the calling, just someone who knows someone who was recently called) tell me that it's treated like a Mission President and they would only be allowed to make a 1 day trip if there is a close family members funeral, but otherwise not allowed to travel or visit anyone outside of the temple district until they're released and wondered if the person who told me this is correct.

On 8/14/2019 at 1:58 AM, LDSLily said:

Yes, they're typically called to the area they live, but what if they don't live near family and typically have traveled to visit their kids, grandkids, parents, etc a few times a year? Would they be restricted from visiting them until they are released? 

As for what prompted the question: I had someone (not someone with the calling, just someone who knows someone who was recently called) tell me that it's treated like a Mission President and they would only be allowed to make a 1 day trip if there is a close family members funeral, but otherwise not allowed to travel or visit anyone outside of the temple district until they're released and wondered if the person who told me this is correct.

No idea other then travel is discouraged. The temple cannot be open if there is no one from the Temple Presidency there so thinning the ranks is bad. Generally I have seen children visit them instead of vice versa.

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

No idea other then travel is discouraged. The temple cannot be open if there is no one from the Temple Presidency there so thinning the ranks is bad. Generally I have seen children visit them instead of vice versa.

"Than" =/= "Then" (and vice-versa).  Just sayin'! ;):D

In answer to the opening post(er), beats the snot out of me!  (I'm in absolutely no danger of finding out firsthand!)

29 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Our current Temple typically has Temple Presidents from the US and they travel or the family comes up for a visit, it's not open that often and it's closed for some weeks at various times during the year

I am guessing being in the Presidency of a mini-temple is less of a time constraint.

I am also not sure how set the rules are for Temple Presidents (and Mission Presidents). Is there a Handbook 0 that covers that?

24 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I am guessing being in the Presidency of a mini-temple is less of a time constraint.

I am also not sure how set the rules are for Temple Presidents (and Mission Presidents). Is there a Handbook 0 that covers that?

That I don't know🤔

On 8/14/2019 at 7:58 AM, LDSLily said:

My wife is a long time friend of a couple who are presently in the temple presidency of the Preston Temple in England. They live in their own home, which is where they settled after retiring.  It occurs to me just now that I am in a position to actually ask them this question.  Let me see if I can get the information for you.

7 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Yes

Not always, sometimes currently serving or emeritus general authorities are sent out to serve as temple presidents.  We had one such in the Seattle Temple a number of years ago.  He was not a Seattle area native; I think he was from Utah.

The Nehor,

If you want to sound stupid, that's up to you.  (Bear in mind, I don't think you are stupid, but ...)

12 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Not always, sometimes currently serving or emeritus general authorities are sent out to serve as temple presidents.  We had one such in the Seattle Temple a number of years ago.  He was not a Seattle area native; I think he was from Utah.

I guess I should have said, when someone in the area is worthy or qualified. 

13 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

I guess I should have said, when someone in the area is worthy or qualified. 

I would think that in a new temple district that would be more necessary. But in an area with thousands of long-time, mature, experienced leaders?  I say this in some perplexity, as Seattle had plenty of such, yet still they sent someone from Utah.  

9 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

The Nehor,

If you want to sound stupid, that's up to you.  (Bear in mind, I don't think you are stupid, but ...)

I write ad for a living. I am the grammar police. I can bore anyone about how the Oxford comma is important. I was not being dismissive though I am much less careful here compared to my professional work.

6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I write ad for a living. I am the grammar police. I can bore anyone about how the Oxford comma is important. I was not being dismissive though I am much less careful here compared to my professional work.

Fair enough.