Seriously No Politics ×

Colorado Springs has me so confused

Just arrived last night.  Never been here before-I am stunned by the beauty and the mountains!  Looks just like the Wasatch but prettier with hills and green. 

Anyway, the clouds were heavy and dark on our arrival, so I didn’t see where the sun was setting. I assumed the mountains were east like Utah- til the sun rise an hour ago and seriously now I cannot make my brain figure this out.  The sun is rising in the WEST!!  😂

Most of major Colorado cities (Fort Collins, Boulder, Denver metro, Colorado Springs, Pueblo) sit on the plains on the east side of the Rocky Mountain chain.  I too was confused when me and my wife moved from SLC to Denver.

Edited by longview
5 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Just arrived last night.  Never been here before-I am stunned by the beauty and the mountains!  Looks just like the Wasatch but prettier with hills and green. 

Anyway, the clouds were heavy and dark on our arrival, so I didn’t see where the sun was setting. I assumed the mountains were east like Utah- til the sun rise an hour ago and seriously now I cannot make my brain figure this out.  The sun is rising in the WEST!!  😂

For what it's worth, us Colorado Front Range people (Denver, Spring, Fort Colins) has the same issue when we go to UT!  What's more, people who grew up in Denver usually navigate by where the mountains are, so having the mountains on the 'wrong' side involves LOTS of getting lost :)

Colorado Springs is beautiful! Enjoy your visit. 🙂 I have adjusted to the.mountains. I grew up where they were North of town, I lived in  Utah where they were East. I now experience the Western mountains. 

The hardest adjustment was living with no mountains. How is anyone supposed to know what direction they are traveling? 

But, I also get claustrophobic in the East...too many trees. 

5 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Colorado Springs is beautiful! Enjoy your visit. 🙂 I have adjusted to the.mountains. I grew up where they were North of town, I lived in  Utah where they were East. I now experience the Western mountains. 

The hardest adjustment was living with no mountains. How is anyone supposed to know what direction they are traveling? 

We stayed in a cabin in manitou, Air bnb.  I love the adventure of air bnb- 

Walked in The Garden of the Gods today.  Spectacular! Breathtaking.  I travel all over the US, 2-3x a month, and this landscape is my favorite so far. My husband agrees. 

My brain still can’t take it though.  Why did the sun rise in the West?! 

On 7/26/2019 at 6:28 PM, MustardSeed said:

...  I travel all over the US, 2-3x a month ...

That makes me wonder what you do. ;) 

On 7/26/2019 at 11:59 AM, Jane_Doe said:

For what it's worth, us Colorado Front Range people (Denver, Spring, Fort Colins) has the same issue when we go to UT!  What's more, people who grew up in Denver usually navigate by where the mountains are, so having the mountains on the 'wrong' side involves LOTS of getting lost :)

I grew up with the mountains to the west and moving to Utah was so confusing for a while! 

On 7/26/2019 at 11:46 AM, bsjkki said:

After moving from Utah to Phoenix I can't tell you how many times I have been completely turned around. Now that I know a lot of major streets it is helpful, but still I can be driving down a street and feel strongly I am going West and then discover I am going South. I even try to use the position of the sun to help me and 90% of the time it is no help to me.

When we first got here I kept saying how I needed the mountains. People would tell me we had them, but if I can rarely see them most places in the valley it does no good.

On 7/26/2019 at 11:46 AM, bsjkki said: