Seriously No Politics ×

This place is a ghost town

1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

Wow it's been quiet on the board lately.

A couple of scriptural history posts and the odd update on something.

Guess everyone is in Summer vacation.  Maybe we need President Nelson to throw a few revelation bombs.

So 🙂 . . . what's on your mind lately, brother JLHPROF?  Learn or realize anything lately? 🙂

3 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Wow it's been quiet on the board lately.

A couple of scriptural history posts and the odd update on something.

Guess everyone is in Summer vacation.  Maybe we need President Nelson to throw a few revelation bombs.

Kind of like news cycles, you can only report on and discuss the same thing so much. 

We have gotten into the habit of reactive posting about controversies and now Denson who provided us with a constant flow to feed the habit for a year and a half has gone quiet and nothing from Rowe or Pontius or a newbie taking their place or others plus just slowly digesting the last changes of church policy, not a lot of easy topics spring to mind. Have some interesting to me more thought provoking ones going. Daniel Mc’s thread was highly informative as well. 

FairMormon conference in less than a month may provide some threads. 

Maybe we need a new drive by evangelical poster to argue traditional Christianity with us and tell us we're all going to hell. 

Remember that 300+ page thread?

It has gotten rather uninteresting. The LGBTQ ad nauseum threads have at least slowed to a trickle, the feminists/priesthood for women has almost gone away, and we don't have the Evangelical drive-bys we use to get. 

I also wonder if folks have simply chosen other things based on their positions. Our society is fractured based on political and social agenda topics. People are not interested in hearing conflicting opinions; our universities are anything but milieus respecting freedom of expression. They have evolved into gutter-warrens of echo-speak...."If you think like me then you may talk. If you don't then we will stone you to shut you up!"  

The news media is anything and everything but the news. They chase the dollar and have devolved into opinion speak about topics in the news, but don't report the news. 

Members of the church have followed along and come in all variations of thought and belief. Oneness seems a foreign concept unless it is twisted to mean we can all be different and just call ourselves one. 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I know, maybe they need to unleash the people on "limited", and get things moving! ;)

I don't want to get in trouble with the mods but I am lot a fan of leashing anyone. If a person gets obnoxious enough just ban them. Dissent is an essential part of any debating board. And maybe that is why things are so quiet.

Glenn

Edited by Glenn101
Added another thought, as usual
On 7/14/2019 at 11:45 AM, Glenn101 said:

I don't want to get in trouble with the mods but I am lot a fan of leashing anyone. If a person gets obnoxious enough just ban them. Dissent is an essential part of any debating board. And maybe that is why things are so quiet.

Glenn

I disagree, many of those on Limited contribute a lot to the board but some go nuts and are disruptive when allowed to post in excess. I want many of them to stay.

There are also a few people on Limited that I think should not be but such is life. I would make a terrible moderator and am well aware of that so my judgement on these matters is probably also flawed.

Edited by The Nehor
On 7/21/2019 at 6:20 PM, The Nehor said:

I disagree, many of those on Limited contribute a lot to the board but some go nuts and are disruptive when allowed to post in excess. I want many of them to stay.

There are also a few people on Limited that I think should not be but such is life. I would make a terrible moderator and am well aware of that so my judgement on these matters is probably also flawed.

I understand your point. I just make it a point not to react to a nutty post. I don't want to come away seeming any nuttier. Sort of paraphrasing an adage I read, a third party looning in might not be able to see the difference.

On 7/21/2019 at 4:19 PM, The Nehor said:

I was on a houseboat on a lake with no internet or phone access. It was wonderful. Back now though.

Sounds so nice, Nehor! Lately I've been addicted to watching youtubes of people that turn into nomads and go live in rv's or vans or old school buses. 

It's my dream to one day do this, but I may have to all alone, which I doubt I would ever dare do since I'm uneasy driving on the freeways, let alone something bigger than a car. But there are plenty of women doing this kind of thing all alone, one lady said her husband will meet up with her and then go back home after a few weeks. My husband may be fine with that!

Here's one to get you started:

I've been staying off of the MDDB a little more since watching these videos! I'm sure it's been nice for people. ;) 

19 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Sounds so nice, Nehor! Lately I've been addicted to watching youtubes of people that turn into nomads and go live in rv's or vans or old school buses. 

It's my dream to one day do this, but I may have to all alone, which I doubt I would ever dare do since I'm uneasy driving on the freeways, let alone something bigger than a car. But there are plenty of women doing this kind of thing all alone, one lady said her husband will meet up with her and then go back home after a few weeks. My husband may be fine with that!

Here's one to get you started:

I've been staying off of the MDDB a little more since watching these videos! I'm sure it's been nice for people. ;) 

A houseboat is a money pit. Everything is always breaking. Still fun though.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:29 PM, The Nehor said:

A houseboat is a money pit. Everything is always breaking. Still fun though.

A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money. Instead of appreciating they depreciate so our home is worth half of what we paid for it oops.

47 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money. Instead of appreciating they depreciate so our home is worth half of what we paid for it oops.

Kind of like mobile homes.

Or a BOAT: Break Out Another Thousand

The two happiest days in a boat owner’s life are the day he bought the boat and the day he sold the boat.

Unless I become wealthy (unlikely) I do not plan on ever owning a boat. I am in the best circumstance in that I know lots of people with boats and can use theirs.

19 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Kind of like mobile homes.

Or a BOAT: Break Out Another Thousand

The two happiest days in a boat owner’s life are the day he bought the boat and the day he sold the boat.

Unless I become wealthy (unlikely) I do not plan on ever owning a boat. I am in the best circumstance in that I know lots of people with boats and can use theirs.

We just sold ours ...and have big regrets!  

We loved taking out friends and tossing them off tubes. :)

our boat was a solid machine.  Quality- but not too fancy.  Seats were pulling apart at the seams-ours was the party boat- “the only rule is NO RULES!”  Eating allowed.  Jumping off the Bimini top rails allowed.  We play YOUR favorite music.  

Our closest friends have a very fancy boat.  Lots of rules.  She polished it whenever we stop. No drinks allowed!!!  But it’s a nice one. 

Wait- is this a thread about boats? 

On 7/31/2019 at 10:01 AM, MustardSeed said:

We just sold ours ...and have big regrets!  

We loved taking out friends and tossing them off tubes. :)

our boat was a solid machine.  Quality- but not too fancy.  Seats were pulling apart at the seams-ours was the party boat- “the only rule is NO RULES!”  Eating allowed.  Jumping off the Bimini top rails allowed.  We play YOUR favorite music.  

Our closest friends have a very fancy boat.  Lots of rules.  She polished it whenever we stop. No drinks allowed!!!  But it’s a nice one. 

Wait- is this a thread about boats? 

My dad buys a new Nautique with the latest features every couple of years. He can easily afford it though and it is really his only extravagance and he routinely takes anyone out who wants to go wakesurfing or wakeboarding or waterskiing or tubing or whatever so it is not like he is hoarding luxuries.

He is annoyed when you walk on the boat seats in shoes and wipes the boat down. Makes sense though. He needs to keep the value up for when he sells it in a few years.

I do not get playing music on boats. I prefer the sound of the wind and the spraying water.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 12:34 PM, rodheadlee said:

On the other hand, you've known the sort of freedom and adventure that few of us landlubbers ever will! :D