Seriously No Politics ×

Peruvian Myths About a Visit of a God

This is a new article by Dr. Dan Peterson that appears in LDS Living magazine as of two days ago.  This is NOT the same legend as the one that made the Aztecs think that Cortes might be a god, or if it is the same legend, it's one told by different people entirely, and this time it was Pizarro who got mistaken for a returning god.  Dr. Peterson references a 2015 article on the topic that appeared in BYU Studies.

How Peruvian Myths About a God Appearing to the People Echo Events in the Book of Mormon

“There came from a southern direction a white man of great stature, who, by his aspect and presence, called forth great veneration and obedience. This man who thus appeared had great power, insomuch that he could change plains into mountains, and great hills into valleys, and make water flow out of stones. As soon as such power was beheld, the people called him the Maker of created things, the Prince of all things, Father of the Sun. For they say that he performed other wonders, giving life to men and animals, so that by his hand marvelous great benefits were conferred on the people. ... In many places he gave orders to men how they should live, and he spoke lovingly to them ... admonishing them that they should do good ... and that they should be loving and charitable to all. In most parts he is generally called Ticiviracocha. ... (And) that wherever (he) ... came and there were sick, he healed them, and where there were blind he gave them sight by only uttering words.”

Dan also has a new hairdo after watching reruns of Ancient Aliens and the Sci-Fi Channel about the Nazca Lines and figures:

7bebd458-dfe9-4c35-beee-da10caaaa99b.jpg

220px-Nazca_monkey.jpg

After making a meditated or medicated connection between Peru and Mesoamerica for Book of Mormon geography based on the Nazca Monkey figure, Dan continues to copy from RLDS Church member Elder H.A. Stebbins who placed Book of Mormon geography in Northern South America and Central America.

Quote:

“I sat down and began to go over the antiquarian writings of John L. Stephens, Josiah Priest, J.D. Baldwin, C. G. Foster, H. H. Bancro:fit, Desire Charney, W. H. Prescott, and other historians. The first distinct instDuction given me was, "Take the Jaredites first, as the first people who came."

”In ,the first I was astonished at the clear proofs brought to my attention, those I had never heard any of our ministers use nor seen in any writings. As I continued the Holy Spirit bore witness ,to me in such power and gave me light I had never had before. All fear and dread left me and I made page after page of references and quotations to use in the sermons. Therefore I wrote Brother Cri<ck that I would come, even though it would throw upon me a great burden of labor at nighttime, on the church records, in additon to day labors after my return ,to Lamoni, to make ready for General Conference. I took with me nearly all the above named hqoks as proofs for our claims. On arrival I found that Brother Wallace Robinson had made a very large map of the south half of Nor,th America, all of Mexico and Central America and the north half of South Ameri~a. It helped me greatly. I con- tinued nine evenings. Although there was deep snow yet the audiences continued large each night. Sister Belle Robinson was the shorthand repor.ter and the result was published in the Ensign during several months. I finally revised the whole thing and it was published by the Board of Publication and has been on sale year after year. For the truth's sake I am glad the sermons were given. I did not ask for nor have I re- ceived any income from the sale of the books.”

Biography of Henry A. Stebbins, published 1919, member of the RLDS Church, born 1844, page 34-35 of the pdf

http://www.latterdaytruth.org/pdf/100746.pdf

You know I’m teasing you, Dan.

But seriously, can’t you come up with something original other than using ideas from a dead guy from the RLDS Church from 1919?

Especially, when you don’t believe Oliver Cowdery from 1834?

https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper-summary/history-1834-1836/90

4 hours ago, Stargazer said:

This is a new article by Dr. Dan Peterson that appears in LDS Living magazine as of two days ago.  This is NOT the same legend as the one that made the Aztecs think that Cortes might be a god, or if it is the same legend, it's one told by different people entirely, and this time it was Pizarro who got mistaken for a returning god.  Dr. Peterson references a 2015 article on the topic that appeared in BYU Studies.

How Peruvian Myths About a God Appearing to the People Echo Events in the Book of Mormon

“There came from a southern direction a white man of great stature, who, by his aspect and presence, called forth great veneration and obedience. This man who thus appeared had great power, insomuch that he could change plains into mountains, and great hills into valleys, and make water flow out of stones. As soon as such power was beheld, the people called him the Maker of created things, the Prince of all things, Father of the Sun. For they say that he performed other wonders, giving life to men and animals, so that by his hand marvelous great benefits were conferred on the people. ... In many places he gave orders to men how they should live, and he spoke lovingly to them ... admonishing them that they should do good ... and that they should be loving and charitable to all. In most parts he is generally called Ticiviracocha. ... (And) that wherever (he) ... came and there were sick, he healed them, and where there were blind he gave them sight by only uttering words.”

I find this interesting as I have a son serving his mission in Peru, and the additional legends sound very much like they could be out of 3rd Nephi.    However, to be on honest, I think he could have taken these accounts in Peru straight from a New Era article in 1978, over 40 years ago.   I’m not seeing anything new.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/new-era/1978/12/four-peruvian-versions-of-the-white-god-legend?lang=eng

7 hours ago, clarkgoble said:

I've always found Peru interesting in this regard. I don't think it ultimately works. It's slightly better for metals but much worse for language and hard to line up the geographic descriptions.

They don't need to be original to the location. What I mean is, migrations of people from one region to another.  Or, for that matter, in the years after Christ appeared to the Nephites, wouldn't there have been missionaries going forth from them to other peoples of the Americas?  And these stories would have been carried to them.

Another possibility: did Christ only appear to the Nephites, or did He appear to others in the same hemisphere, at a distant remove from the Nephites?  Appearances for which we have no record (yet)?

3 Ne 15:21 - And verily I say unto you, that ye are they of whom I said: Other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

2 Ne 29:12 - For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it.

In the 600 years or so from the arrival of the Lehites in the Americas were there no others led off like the people of Zeniff to the Land of Nephi, but further, possibly into South America?

Edited by Stargazer

We have to keep telling each generation that the planets orbit the Sun , and that the earth is roughly spherical . It is old news and yet it is not immediately obvious from general observation. It never hurts to reacquaint members of parallels found in some lands and cultures.

There is a similar story told by the Cuna Indians in Panama. His name was Ibiorgum, IIRC.

Edited by Bernard Gui