Seriously No Politics ×

Papa needs “Freedom From Sins...among other things.

On a light note, a member of our Bishopric called me and asked me to speak this coming Sunday. He said, “Bill, I have been thinking about the topic, freedom  from sin, and your name keeps coming to mind”. So I did of course, “accept his offer and assignment”, but I began thinking; about two things, “did I come to mind as someone who needs, freedom from sin”, or “am I someone he thinks will do a good a job when by addressing the topic? 

Anywhy, I will give it my best, but I have lost many research materials, so I would love some input from the “old guard”, if it pleases any. 

One thing I am looking for is a quote from either Joseph F Smith, or David O’ McKay.I believe he (or others) made some comments about when we partake of the sacrament, (Worthily) “it is as we were dipped again in Holy Water, if the baptismal font and coming forth as clean, as if it we were on our Baptismal date. He also spoke of other things of a spiritual nature, if we do our best. 

Also, and other things anyone that people find things to fit the topic of, “Freedom from sin”, it would help me prepare, and to quote rather than paraphrase, and reading different meanings into the mix. 

So, I any of any of you can help me with this, I will feel more comfortable, and competent, as well.

i thank any who may help.

Thanks you all in advance.

Papa 

Personal stories are always the best - start with something funny and trivial (the sin of not cleaning up your room when you were little etc.)  hopefully keep it realistic.  I have never liked the "try to be perfect" idea, no one lives without sin in this life - I prefer "try to be just a little bit better" instead.  

Edited by changed
42 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

On a light note, a member of our Bishopric called me and asked me to speak this coming Sunday. He said, “Bill, I have been thinking about the topic, freedom  from sin, and your name keeps coming to mind”. So I did of course, “accept his offer and assignment”, but I began thinking; about two things, “did I come to mind as someone who needs, freedom from sin”, or “am I someone he thinks will do a good a job when by addressing the topic? 

Anywhy, I will give it my best, but I have lost many research materials, so I would love some input from the “old guard”, if it pleases any. 

One thing I am looking for is a quote from either Joseph F Smith, or David O’ McKay.I believe he (or others) made some comments about when we partake of the sacrament, (Worthily) “it is as we were dipped again in Holy Water, if the baptismal font and coming forth as clean, as if it we were on our Baptismal date. He also spoke of other things of a spiritual nature, if we do our best. 

Also, and other things anyone that people find things to fit the topic of, “Freedom from sin”, it would help me prepare, and to quote rather than paraphrase, and reading different meanings into the mix. 

So, I any of any of you can help me with this, I will feel more comfortable, and competent, as well.

Papa 

I think it would be a breath of fresh air if you brought in your roots of your childhood faith and spoke on Grace. Maybe it's more common now, but I'll never forget a RS lesson by a woman from the south that spoke about the Saviour and how we should lay our troubles, or sins at His feet. Never heard it taught that way, believe or not. Or I wasn't paying attention before that lesson. This was many years ago, so I'm probably missing some more detail. 

ETA: The bold bothers me with our Sacrament, how is the Sacrament suppose to make us come forth clean if we're already clean? Or worthy? That's the bad thing when bishops will ask certain members to not take the Sacrament, makes zero sense.  I quoted you from the OP:

"One thing I am looking for is a quote from either Joseph F Smith, or David O’ McKay.I believe he (or others) made some comments about when we partake of the sacrament, (Worthily) “it is as we were dipped again in Holy Water, if the baptismal font and coming forth as clean, as if it we were on our Baptismal date. He also spoke of other things of a spiritual nature, if we do our best."

Edited by Tacenda
2 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Papa 

You might find this article (especially the scriptures cited) helpful.

There won't be many in your audience that go looking for sin.   Freedom from sin comes mostly from mastering the appetites and passions of our mortal bodies, and choosing to do and be positive, learning, serving, helping.   Freedom from sin comes from setting your personal boundaries, not so close to the edge, but far away from the edge.   It requires being actively engaged in a good cause (to the exclusion of personal negative narrative).

Edited by rpn

We are commanded to repent of our sins and to come to the Lord with a broken heart and a contrite spirit and partake of the sacrament in compliance with its covenants. When we renew our baptismal covenants in this way, the Lord renews the cleansing effect of our baptism.  In this way we are made clean and can always have His Spirit to be with us.

— Elder Dallin H. Oaks, “The Aaronic Priesthood and the Sacrament,” Ensign, November 1998, p. 37

On 6/24/2019 at 11:10 PM, Tacenda said:

I think it would be a breath of fresh air if you brought in your roots of your childhood faith and spoke on Grace. Maybe it's more common now, but I'll never forget a RS lesson by a woman from the south that spoke about the Saviour and how we should lay our troubles, or sins at His feet. Never heard it taught that way, believe or not. Or I wasn't paying attention before that lesson. This was many years ago, so I'm probably missing some more detail. 

ETA: The bold bothers me with our Sacrament, how is the Sacrament suppose to make us come forth clean if we're already clean? Or worthy? That's the bad thing when bishops will ask certain members to not take the Sacrament, makes zero sense.  I quoted you from the OP:

"One thing I am looking for is a quote from either Joseph F Smith, or David O’ McKay.I believe he (or others) made some comments about when we partake of the sacrament, (Worthily) “it is as we were dipped again in Holy Water, if the baptismal font and coming forth as clean, as if it we were on our Baptismal date. He also spoke of other things of a spiritual nature, if we do our best."

Grace will play a large part, and “Grace”, is how we can gain “freedom from sin”.