Seriously No Politics ×

Nasty new scams: SSN, US Marshalls, FBI spoofs

Calm

If you have friends or relatives not quite fully capable or others who aren't educated in scams, you mingle want to warn them about the latest scam.  I just got a call myself.  Figured it was a scam before I picked it up due to bunch of spam telephone calls I have been getting the past few days, but it was a new one for me and I can imagine it could strike fear in those unprepared.

https://www.nbc12.com/2019/06/21/tens-thousands-report-new-social-security-scheme/

Other scams below...

Edited by Calm

I have gotten where I don't even pick up my phone.  If I don't recognize the number just won't answer.  When I need things from doctor or gov. info...they have to email.  I almost lost $500 a few months ago because of scammers that just stopped my computer...they were good..I believed them until they gave me the cost...duh..I stopped payment and took info to the bank...sure enough..they have heard of these guys before.

Surely...there are some honest folks out there making a living doncha think???😂

I didn't pick up for calls either until I got a phone call about my mom on an unknown number.  But since then it has always been through the company/doctors so after the past few days I may go back to ignoring the same..

We have a rule, no money stuff over the phone unless we call them.

Edited by Calm

I have to purge some old numbers to block the new ones.  I think they need to add more memory for call blocking instead of just 30 numbers or so.

My sister and I are having a bit of a tug of war over leaving Mom's credit card with her.  Since I handle her bills and bank, so far she just ignores scammers, but her confusion is growing and I don't want her to be able to give that kind of access to anyone.  

Plus she had one episode where she thought someone had stolen things and gave me all her jewelry, save one ring she puts on every day (too big to sleep in and sentimental more than expensive).  I figure let's avoid the worry...but now she worries about others losing her cards.

Edited by Calm
38 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I support tracing these calls and drone striking the points of origin until they stop.

Something needs to be done to make it not worth the effort.

Amost wish long distance was still expensive or you had to pay per call.  Then when we got scammed, we could just leave the phone off the hook and cost them money.

Edited by Calm
15 minutes ago, Calm said:

Something needs to be done to make it not worth the effort.

Amost wish long distance was still expensive or you had to pay per call.  Then when we got scammed, we could just leave the phone off the hook and cost them money.

The real problem is that US land line and cell phone companies all have a weird incestuous long-standing setup that makes regulating them very difficult.

20 hours ago, Jeanne said:

I have gotten where I don't even pick up my phone.  If I don't recognize the number just won't answer.  When I need things from doctor or gov. info...they have to email.  I almost lost $500 a few months ago because of scammers that just stopped my computer...they were good..I believed them until they gave me the cost...duh..I stopped payment and took info to the bank...sure enough..they have heard of these guys before.

Surely...there are some honest folks out there making a living doncha think???😂

That almost happened to me a few years ago! I was about to leave my house when I got the phone call that there was a virus on my computer. I've had a virus before and had to call a Dell tech etc. and they were usually out of the country where I couldn't understand them well at all. So the guy sounded just like that. Maybe Iranian? He wanted me to type in a certain number so that he could help me get the virus off. Well if I hadn't been in such a hurry, I would have done that. Told him I didn't have time, and then had to say goodbye. Then between that time and the next call the next day, I'd heard on the news that these scams were going around, plus my son had got a call too and told me. 

Glad you didn't shell out $500! Now, I don't use a desk top computer but a cheap Acer chrome that I've had for a few years and bought for under $300 and virus free and still working like a charm, but need to probably get a hobby besides the internet.   

12 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I support tracing these calls and drone striking the points of origin until they stop.

If it involves a Nigerian Prince, get a declaration of war and hopefully cooperation from the Nigerian government before making our move.  :ph34r:

27 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

That almost happened to me a few years ago! I was about to leave my house when I got the phone call that there was a virus on my computer. I've had a virus before and had to call a Dell tech etc. and they were usually out of the country where I couldn't understand them well at all. So the guy sounded just like that. Maybe Iranian? He wanted me to type in a certain number so that he could help me get the virus off. Well if I hadn't been in such a hurry, I would have done that. Told him I didn't have time, and then had to say goodbye. Then between that time and the next call the next day, I'd heard on the news that these scams were going around, plus my son had got a call too and told me. 

Glad you didn't shell out $500! Now, I don't use a desk top computer but a cheap Acer chrome that I've had for a few years and bought for under $300 and virus free and still working like a charm, but need to probably get a hobby besides the internet.   

yeah..my son had to leave work that day to help me figure things out...made trips to the CU and everything..what a mess!!  They were overseas when my son made the call..but what happened was everything stopped on the laptop...no pay..no go...so had to pay....back it out...and start over.  I am not Techy...and I can't hear on phones too well so I was up a creek without a paddle until I got my son involved...I just love him for so many reasons...😂 Took him out to dinner!!

There are some very technically savvy people who post videos on YouTube of them getting those Microsoft tech support scam calls, and then turn the tables on them by destroying the scammers' computers, uploading viruses to them, and so on.  Needless to say, don't try this at home, kids.  Won't give you a link, but if you have some time on your hands and don't mind bad language (because the scammers get very angry when they find the tables being turned on them), go to YouTube and seach on "microsoft tech support scammer".

5 hours ago, Stargazer said:

There are some very technically savvy people who post videos on YouTube of them getting those Microsoft tech support scam calls, and then turn the tables on them by destroying the scammers' computers, uploading viruses to them, and so on.  Needless to say, don't try this at home, kids.  Won't give you a link, but if you have some time on your hands and don't mind bad language (because the scammers get very angry when they find the tables being turned on them), go to YouTube and seach on "microsoft tech support scammer".

I just watched one where the scambaiter got into their system, refunded a victim's money, got lots of evidence for the police, and called the scammer back on his person cell phone number. BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! The panic in the scammer's voice was beautiful as he listed the real names of the "employees" there, the name of their "company", his personal address, etc.. 😂

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, Calm said:

If you have friends or relatives not quite fully capable or others who aren't educated in scams, you mingle want to warn them about the latest scam.  I just got a call myself.  Figured it was a scam before I picked it up due to bunch of spam telephone calls I have been getting the past few days, but it was a new one for me and I can imagine it could strike fear in those unprepared.

https://www.nbc12.com/2019/06/21/tens-thousands-report-new-social-security-scheme/

This script is so ridiculous. Everyone should play along as long as possible to slow them down! Be elderly if you can. :D 

1 hour ago, MorningStar said:

I just watched one where the scambaiter got into their system, refunded a victim's money, got lots of evidence for the police, and called the scammer back on his person cell phone number. BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! The panic in the scammer's voice was beautiful as he listed the real names of the "employees" there, the name of their "company", his personal address, etc.. 😂

6 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Can't wait to watch! Recently I watched a women put on the best performance that lasted a long time, she pretended to even drive to the bank and get the money, haha. ETA: Just watched a snippet, Stargazer is right about the language, holy cow! I have had them swear at me when I've caught on to them.

Edited by Tacenda
On 6/23/2019 at 10:45 AM, Stargazer said:

I love these.

My other favorite is the Lenny approach which just wastes their time:

I do something similar some times with scammers. Sometimes I am bored and the phone rings. If it is a scammer I just start telling long rambling stories to the person on the other end about getting my shoes fixed or the trouble I had getting my son registered for water polo the most boring stuff imaginable and string them along and have it progressively weirder until I start talking my poly relationship drama and how I owe money to the gypsy mafia. When they try to get to work on their scam I pretend I am a bumbling idiot (not much of an acting challenge for me) about anything to do with technology and keep getting their instructions wrong. When I get bored I just start blasting some music, preferably a bad YouTube version of something off putting and weird. In the past I have used “Gay Bar” and “Weasel Stomping Day” It livens up my day a bit and keeps them from doing harm for a bit. My way of doing something charitable and giving something back.

I once tried to convert the scammer to radical fundamentalist Islam. Who knows how many watch lists I am on from doing that but it was fun.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:36 PM, Calm said:

Different scam involves spoofing actual  numbers and then using real law enforcement officers' names and badge numbers, etc,

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900077912/spoofing-phone-call-scam-utah-us-marshalls.html

I’ve gotten those as well, I would ask for the person with the badge number. When they tell me “he is busy”,I tell them, I’ll just wait until they come to arrest me. Drives them crazy! 

I got an automated telephone message (with a robotic voice) from "Officer Misty Johnson, Badge No. 8319, of the IRS."  The IRS has "officers."  Uh-huh.  Yeah.  Right.  Oh, there's a warrant out for my arrest, but you need some information from me, including financial information, in order to cancel the warrant?  Nah!  If you have enough information on me to know that a warrant has been issued for my arrest, then you already have enough information to cancel the warrant.  And you want me to talk to your "robot," "Officer Misty Johnson"?  Nah.  If you want to have even a prayer of my taking you seriously, I'm gonna have to be talking to a real, live, flesh-and-blood human being (although I do gotta say, "Officer Johnson" sounds way s*xy for a robot ...) :D  And you want me to clear up a fine by buying a prepaid card?  Yeah.  That's the way they do it, fer rillz!

Edited by Kenngo1969

I have just gotten 4 (up to eight now, decided to block it, hopefully won’t lock out legitimate husband call)) calls in the last two hours from “my husband” with my home phone number. It claims to be Microsoft and they are suspending our licenses as our IP address has been compromised in several countries. 

If I block the number I will have to unblock it anytime I want to access voicemail. I just may try and figure how to deactivate voice mail if they keep calling. 

One good thing is I found out if you *77 in most places it sets up an anonymous number rejection. Mine says it gives a message to unblock their id and call again. However in some places *77 will connect you to law enforcement or 911 so you might want to do a search to see it f your area does that. 

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Calm said:

I have just gotten 4 calls in the last two hours from “my husband” with my home phone number. It claims to be Microsoft and they are suspending our licenses as our IP address has been compromised in several countries. 

If I block the number I will have to unblock it anytime I want to access voicemail. I just may try and figure how to deactivate voice mail if they keep calling. 

One good thing is I found out if you *77 in most places it sets up an anonymous number rejection. Mine says it gives a message to unblock their id and call again. However in some places *77 will connect you to law enforcement or 911 so you might want to do a search to see it f your area does that. 

Wow, didn't know they could do that!