Seriously No Politics ×

Good Omens by Amazon

A new show by Amazon.  I swear I am laughing out loud.  Watch the first six minutes and then you'll know if it's for you or not.  A plus: has David Tennant in it.

The adventures of heaven and hell.

Another plus: based on the Terry Pratchett book, although it's been too long since I read, so I won't have any idea how close it is.  My guess will be, not, except for the premise.

Edited by Maidservant
On 6/5/2019 at 12:00 PM, Carborendum said:

Is that the show about a demon and an angel trying to find the Anti-Christ so that they can start Armageddon?

They are trying to STOP Armageddon.

I just finished it, it was pretty good, better than typical British humor. I had never read the books so not sure how it compares.

I read a little and part was new and part was very close, but my daughter has read the whole thing and says they add stuff, but the stuff from the book is close.  Neil Gaiman wrote the screenplay, I believe.  Just read an article that said the added stuff in the 3rd episode was to provide some more work for the main actors.

The book allows for more thoughts to be expressed, but apparently didn't go into how they got there as much, so it makes sense to develop the character through them doing things and having conversations instead of thinking things.

Edited by Calm

I just finished it.  I very much enjoyed the main characters and their sidekicks:  the angel, demon, antichrist and his hellhound and young friends, witch and young witch finder and the over all storyline.  Four Horsemen were good as well though I would have loved a bit of DiscWorld Death.  The rest felt one dimensional to me and lacking in any real appealing character.  I also felt Angel and demon are interchangeable, which my daughter says is the point, but I have seen enough stories with angels taking good too far that I think more than dumbheaded desire for war could have been part of it.  The way the angels are presented there is no reason to assume they are the least bit interested in helping mankind choose good or counteract the demons' actions on earth, got to wonder what they have been doing for the last 6000 years and why Az seems to think it is his job to be doing good when no one else appears to be.

Maybe the book explains the angels better.

And yes, I am a nitpicker.  I also like the world portrayed to make sense within its own rules.  The angels didn't to me.

Edited by Calm
  • 2 weeks later...

“On Thursday, the official Twitter account for Netflix U.K. and Ireland responded to a Guardian article about the Return to Order, “a special campaign” of the American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family and Property, which has launched the “Tell Netflix: Cancel Blasphemous ‘Good Omens’ Series” petition.

“ok we promise not to make any more,” the streaming service — you know, the one that doesn’t stream the show — tweeted.

Neil Gaiman, the creator of the series and co-author of the book that it’s based on, quote-tweeted Netflix’s response, calling it the “best reply ever.” 

On Wednesday, Gaiman shared that same article about the petition — which had garnered more than 20,000 signatures as of Thursday morning — tweeting, “I love that they are going to write to Netflix to try and get #GoodOmenscancelled. Says it all really.”

By the way, Prime Video tweeted it will cancel “Stranger Things” if Netflix cancels “Good Omens,” so now they might need to uphold that deal.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thewrap.com/netflix-wont-make-more-good-omens-christian-petition-amazon-prime-video-neil-gaiman/amp/

Edited by Calm
16 hours ago, Calm said:

“On Thursday, the official Twitter account for Netflix U.K. and Ireland responded to a Guardian article about the Return to Order, “a special campaign” of the American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family and Property, which has launched the “Tell Netflix: Cancel Blasphemous ‘Good Omens’ Series” petition.

“ok we promise not to make any more,” the streaming service — you know, the one that doesn’t stream the show — tweeted.

Neil Gaiman, the creator of the series and co-author of the book that it’s based on, quote-tweeted Netflix’s response, calling it the “best reply ever.” 

On Wednesday, Gaiman shared that same article about the petition — which had garnered more than 20,000 signatures as of Thursday morning — tweeting, “I love that they are going to write to Netflix to try and get #GoodOmenscancelled. Says it all really.”

By the way, Prime Video tweeted it will cancel “Stranger Things” if Netflix cancels “Good Omens,” so now they might need to uphold that deal.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thewrap.com/netflix-wont-make-more-good-omens-christian-petition-amazon-prime-video-neil-gaiman/amp/

😁

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 1:49 AM, Calm said:

I am guessing these are the same people that made it necessary to put warning labels on hair dryers telling people not to use them while taking a bath?

Edited by The Nehor
21 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I am guessing these are the same people that made it necessary to put warning labels of hair dryers telling people not to use them while taking a bath?

And plastic bags being labeled as "not a toy for children".