Seriously No Politics ×

CBD, to the extent that it is medically prescribed and taken as directed, is not against the word of wisdom.   But I wouldn't take it until I'd tried everything that is more traditional without resolving the medical issue.   And I wouldn't be taking it until or unless there was sufficient information to establish the therapeutic dose.

Edited by rpn

If it does, than we're in trouble in Utah. Because it's all over the place now. 

Just saw this new Netlix documentary, and boy oh boy, the THC is so needed to reduce or eliminate tumors. So I don't get why Utah's reps in the legislature fought so hard to not have it, as well as the church. I hope someone, anyone will watch and give me their opinion! Or there are other ways to watch. https://www.weedthepeoplemovie.com/

Drove through Provo and saw a promo for CBD oil on a screen that switches periodically on a billboard yesterday. And a recent news item: https://kutv.com/news/local/utahs-medical-marijuana-program-limits-growing-to-10-farms-could-cause-shortages

1 hour ago, rpn said:

CBD, to the extent that it is medically prescribed and taken as directed, is not against the word of wisdom.   But I wouldn't take it until I'd tried everything that is more traditional without resolving the medical issue.   And I wouldn't be taking it until or unless there was sufficient information to establish the therapeutic dose.

I do not believe your opening post is correct.

CBD, most common in a oil form, does not require a Rx, I can get it over the counter at the local pharmacy.

Hi from smoky Colorado.

So, bishops worldwide have always striven to use church welfare/food orders/fast offerings funds properly.  There are always judgment calls, where a bishop asks themselves "is the only reason I see this person at church, is because they're doing absolute barest minimum required to continue to receive church aid, or are they actually striving to improve their lives and draw closer to God?"

These days, bishops continue to occasionally deal with folks like that, except now, they also smoke pot because they "have a medical need", like "anxiety".  So a bishop thinks about the rent check the church is covering, or the utility bill the church is paying, and they ask themselves if they're just freeing up funds for someone to be able to get high more often.

Congratulations on legalizing MMJ Utah.  Pray for your bishops.

Earth has plants that produce cannabinoids and the human body has cannabinoid receptors to bind to these compounds and use their effects in the muscular system, immune system and others.  I think there is real medicine to be found within plants that produce cannabinoids but I strongly suspect that what's being sold in these CBD mlms is mostly snake oil, wishful thinking,  and exaggerated marketing.  They probably are more powerful than essential oils but much less than actual medical marijuana. 

Phaedrus 

9 hours ago, RevTestament said:

11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

Herbs require knowledge and skill to be used well. They can kill you, or they can help you.

The word herb in 19th-century American English meant an annual plant (see http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/herb) whilst the word vegetable in its primary definition just meant 'plant', though it had already started to take on the meaning of a culinary plant (see http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/vegetable).

References to 'herbs and fruits' in the Word of Wisdom (including your quote above) would therefore correspond to our contemporary 'fruits and vegetables' moreso than to plants grown as seasonings or plants grown for some 'medicinal' purpose.

2 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

The word herb in 19th-century American English meant an annual plant (see http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/herb) whilst the word vegetable in its primary definition just meant 'plant', though it had already started to take on the meaning of a culinary plant (see http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/vegetable).

References to 'herbs and fruits' in the Word of Wisdom (including your quote above) would therefore correspond to our contemporary 'fruits and vegetables' moreso than to plants grown as seasonings or plants grown for some 'medicinal' purpose.

There you have it. Eat your fruits and vegetables with prudence kiddies....

19 hours ago, Doctrine 612 said:

How do some of you feel about CBD, is it breaking the words of wisdom?

CBD is legal at the federal level thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill. As far as breaking the word of wisdom.....the church is fine with the opiates, benzodiazepenes and surprisingly medical marijuana. My Pops sleeps like a baby now days thanks to MM. He suffered for years from insomnia....now he has access to cheap, organic, homegrown pot....and he's a true blue. 

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this on FB, it is a friend of my sister/brother in law on my husband's side. I thought it quite amazing, and thinking of trying the cannabis water soluable vs. the cannabis oil. Oops, it shows my FB profile so I deleted it. I need to figure a better way to show the video.

I'm wondering also, if Bernard or others have changed on their view of cannabis? It's quite astounding the things this plant can do. I know in Utah that several farmer's want to grow it, pretty sure some are LDS as well, not that that should matter.

Edited by Tacenda
On 5/27/2019 at 1:41 PM, Doctrine 612 said:

Really who cares? Would you ask this if you were prescribed an opioid for pain or Xanax for anti-anxiety and depression? Nope. So why ask it about this?

There are studies showing its effectiveness for several things, but the levels given are significantly higher than what you get commercially in health stores usually ( not sure in states that allow marijuana), so it is unknown as far as studies whether or not they are effective at lower dosages.  Lots of anecdotes, but they are iffy for cause and effect.

I know a number of people who believe they have done well, but some or many could be placebo or other things they started at the same time..  Tacenda was able to get off at least one med ( and not just because she felt better, but it worked so her blood levels were normal iirc).  I think she said that was the only change she made.

I tried it for a couple of nights when I went off my sleep med.  No help and since I was feeling sick, I decided not to add anything that might take longer than my tapering off would take.  That went so well, I am dropping my pain med dose by a quarter and that is taking longer to adjust to, so it will be at least a month before I try CBD  again (recommended by a pharmacist when my pain med wasn't available).  I need something that can help reset my clock, exhausting myself with waterworks isn't enough. Still not going to sleep before the sun comes up.

Edited by Calm
27 minutes ago, Danzo said:

IS CBD oil actually good for anything?

Sounds like the latest snake oil to me, you know "good for whatever ails you."

We have family friends who used it to help their daughter with cerebral palsy with muscle spasms. It used to work wonderfully but sadly it doesn’t help at all anymore. 

Ive heard similar things from people who have used it for depression and/or anxiety. 

9 minutes ago, bluebell said:

We have family friends who used it to help their daughter with cerebral palsy with muscle spasms. It used to work wonderfully but sadly it doesn’t help at all anymore. 

Ive heard similar things from people who have used it for depression and/or anxiety. 

They should try it again after giving her body a break from it.  Took about ten years for Am-bien to stop triggering deep, instant depression for me.  I had taken it with no problems for about a year several times a week at least, then went three months without it due to it not be available up in .canada and not having any friends or family traveling to Utah to pick up a script for me.  Next time I got it, something had reset and I got a bad, bad reaction.  After that would try it every couple of years.  Then 5 years ago, it was back to best drug ever.  I was careful to take frequent holidays until Mom's stuff happened, so last year or so, it has been causing me significant problems, but I thought it was stress, so didn't dump it until two months ago.  I plan to go at least 6 months before trying it again and then only use if for emergencies or to get to church if it starts working again without the morning sickness.

Edited by Calm
36 minutes ago, Calm said:

There are studies showing its effectiveness for several things, but the levels given are significantly higher than what you get commercially in health stores usually ( not sure in states that allow marijuana), so it is unknown as far as studies whether or not they are effective at lower dosages.  Lots of anecdotes, but they are iffy for cause and effect.

I know a number of people who believe they have done well, but some or many could be placebo or other things they started at the same time..  Tacenda was able to get off at least one med ( and not just because she felt better, but it worked so her blood levels were normal iirc).  I think she said that was the only change she made.

I tried it for a couple of nights when I went off my sleep med.  No help and since I was feeling sick, I decided not to add anything that might take longer than my tapering off would take.  That went so well, I am dropping my pain med dose by a quarter and that is taking longer to adjust to, so it will be at least a month before I try CBD  again (recommended by a pharmacist when my pain med wasn't available).  I need something that can help reset my clock, exhausting myself with waterworks isn't enough. Still not going to sleep before the sun comes up.

I ordered a bottle of the water soluble cbd for my husband from the guy I saw on FB that knows my sister and brother in law. He's now a distributor for the company. Now I'm able to see the company etc. since I got the receipt and the company's website. Today I read their blog and the one below is very interesting, since it happened to me and she got off the meds for hypothyroidism as well and had many other symptoms go away, like insomnia and her feet neuropathy! So for my friend who has it in her feet and for you Calm, maybe it's something you'd both be interested in. My friend is on all kinds of meds, and I think that's part of her problem. But it isn't cheap, probably a 30 day supply is around $109.00. But probably worth it! Here is the blog post and the website if you'd like to learn more. And if you want the guy's number I can get it for you.  https://www.brizopure.com/

http://blog.brizopure.com/lindseys-suthe-story/

On 5/27/2019 at 12:05 PM, Tacenda said:

If it does, than we're in trouble in Utah. Because it's all over the place now. 

Just saw this new Netlix documentary, and boy oh boy, the THC is so needed to reduce or eliminate tumors. So I don't get why Utah's reps in the legislature fought so hard to not have it, as well as the church. I hope someone, anyone will watch and give me their opinion! Or there are other ways to watch. https://www.weedthepeoplemovie.com/

Drove through Provo and saw a promo for CBD oil on a screen that switches periodically on a billboard yesterday. And a recent news item: https://kutv.com/news/local/utahs-medical-marijuana-program-limits-growing-to-10-farms-could-cause-shortages

Actually, the church didn’t fight against marijuana. They fought against a disastrous bill that immuned all sorts of providers (including midwives) from liability that have no business prescribing psychotropic drugs. To the contrary, the church publicly supported a compromise before the vote. Marijuana was never the issue. 

Edited by PacMan
1 hour ago, PacMan said:

They fought against a disastrous bill that immuned all sorts of providers (including midwives) from liability that have no business prescribing psychotropic drugs

At this point there is not much difference.  None of my doctors have a clue what is going on with marijuana or how to get it for their patients or how to find out.

On 5/28/2019 at 6:10 AM, Hamba Tuhan said:

You do realize that marijuana is an annual right?

On 5/27/2019 at 10:41 AM, Doctrine 612 said:

Internal or external?