Seriously No Politics ×

Another fallen soldier in God's army

JAHS

"A full-time missionary serving in Mexico City has died of asphyxiation in his apartment.
Elder Andrew Carr, 19, who is from Fort Worth, Texas, and was serving in the Mexico Mexico City Northwest Mission, died Saturday morning, May 18. His companion was unharmed in the apartment incident.
The asphyxiation was apparently due to a faulty water heater located near the shower in his apartment, said Daniel Woodruff, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Full-time missionary serving in Mexico City dies of asphyxiation in his apartment

Sad to hear about such things. Strange that he died but his companion was OK. He must have been sleeping closer to the water heater. Doesn't say if it was CO2 or the natural gas that did it.

12 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Maybe parents ought to send along a CO2 warning device with their young men.  They're cheap and you just plug them in.  I have one in my front room near the wood stove.

Man, I know! :(

14 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Maybe parents ought to send along a CO2 warning device with their young men.  They're cheap and you just plug them in.  I have one in my front room near the wood stove.

One thing I have noticed in my 40 years in the Church, is that so many missionary homes or apartments are substandard. When I joined the Church in Germany in 1979, our Elders and everyone thereafter lived in an apartment, in a building that was built before Columbus discovered America. It was built in 1490, and was cool that it was that old, but a horrible place to live. The Church easily has to money, to insure that no matter where missionaries serve, they have a better standard of living. This accident was tragic, and I am not suggesting this was the cause, but it is something to keep in mind. No matter what parents do, they cannot protect their children who are serving from every seen or unseen danger and circumstance.  

When my daughter served in Colorado, I knew exactly how quickly I could reach her if she needed us, and when my son served in California, the same thing. I had it down to a science, as to how long the drive was, or how quickly I could fly. But, when children are serving abroad, just frightening from a parental standpoint.

37 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

One thing I have noticed in my 40 years in the Church, is that so many missionary homes or apartments are substandard. When I joined the Church in Germany in 1979, our Elders and everyone thereafter lived in an apartment, in a building that was built before Columbus discovered America. It was built in 1490, and was cool that it was that old, but a horrible place to live. The Church easily has to money, to insure that no matter where missionaries serve, they have a better standard of living. This accident was tragic, and I am not suggesting this was the cause, but it is something to keep in mind. No matter what parents do, they cannot protect their children who are serving from every seen or unseen danger and circumstance.  

When my daughter served in Colorado, I knew exactly how quickly I could reach her if she needed us, and when my son served in California, the same thing. I had it down to a science, as to how long the drive was, or how quickly I could fly. But, when children are serving abroad, just frightening from a parental standpoint.

I think that in the beginning the church wanted/wants the missionary to feel some suffering somewhat, not make it too easy or cushy. But really, it should have things in place that allows them to be safe, standards that a mission president and his wife can go over in these apartments, basements, garages, trailers that these missionaries have to stay in. All of these dwellings I've mentioned, are places that I have known missionaries have stayed at personally. 

5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I think that in the beginning the church wanted/wants the missionary to feel some suffering somewhat, not make it too easy or cushy. But really, it should have things in place that allows them to be safe, standards that a mission president and his wife can go over in these apartments, basements, garages, trailers that these missionaries have to stay in. All of these dwellings I've mentioned, are places that I have known missionaries have stayed at personally. 

I am a parent, so I wanted to send my kids wrapped in “bubble wrap”. Soon, I may be the Papa of some missionaries, so I will just have to go with them. Also use my police skills to shadow them, and do background checks on all they come into contact with. Also, use my military skills to have medivac helicopters flying above them, like guardian Angels. 😀

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee
10 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

I am a parent, so I wanted to send my kids wrapped in “bubble wrap”. Soon, I may be the Papa of some missionaries, so I will just have to go with them. Also use my police skills to shadow them, and do background checks on all they come into contact with. Also, use my military skills to have medivac helicopters flying above them, like guardian Angels. 😀

😍

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 8:21 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

Maybe we ought to put missionaries in apartments with better maintenance.

On 6/3/2019 at 2:45 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

We have missionaries who live in the bush in Africa, and who even have to swim rivers occasionally.  Bare bones.

I lived in many a cold-water, pre-war, coal-stove-heated, WC down the hall flats in Austria.  I think I had an in-house bath/shower two or three times (memories fade).

On 6/7/2019 at 9:05 AM, USU78 said:

I lived in many a cold-water, pre-war, coal-stove-heated, WC down the hall flats in Austria.  I think I had an in-house bath/shower two or three times (memories fade).

I remember those too when I was in Austria in 1972 - 1973. In one place we went to a public bath house and paid a few Shillings for a bath.

My husband may need to get a shower from the hose for church tomorrow as our drain line appears to be clogged.

I can ask him if such would be a flash back to his mission days.

(we have friends that will let us use the facilities, I am only joking about the backyard shower)

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

I remember those too when I was in Austria in 1972 - 1973. In one place we went to a public bath house and paid a few Shillings for a bath.

I was there 73-75.