Seriously No Politics ×

Deleting my facebook/linkedin/social media

poptart

I've decided to disconnect from social media. I’m seeing some very disturbing things from some people I used to know and It’s bothered me to the point where I’m pulling the plug.  I’ve had it happen to me already, when I fled the state after I had my father served with a restraining order, I was curious if he was smart enough to check social media, sure enough he checked my linkedin and saw I was working at DI.  After running his mouth off over how happy he was to see me miserable, he started hounding my social media like crazy.  I was able to get a job as an adjuster through a friend so I was able to work without networking on linkedin.  It’s so hard nowadays to get work in white collar unless you know someone, everyone networks on social media nowadays and besides lawyers, people out to get you do find out who your employer is.  Tough part is when you’re trying to find work or update your resume with contacts, people watch you.  I knew a crime victim advocate who worked with LDS family/employment services, it’s disgusting what some people put others through.  I know at DI we’d have domestic violence victims working there, their ex’s would call all the time trying to get info on them.

Anyway, I’m seeing people I knew, a few landlords who think they’re above everyone threatening to go through people’s friends list and in essence repay 200% for anything bad they say about them.  Even worse, a few people there still have it in for me after I pressed charges for fraud.  Since I’m in the middle of retraining for a different field that really doesn’t require me having to network like I did in white collar, I’ve decided to disconnect from the matrix.  I look at the friends I have, while none of em have it in for me most I haven’t spoken to for years.  All it would take is some data leak, glitch or someone friending someone I know and mining data.  Know it sounds paranoid, I’ve actually seen it happen.  Another saint I know has a son who just graduated law school, deleted his a while ago over the data breech, that and facebook selling users info.  Kind of extreme but I’ve made up my mind.

Curious who else here has done the same? 

Edited by poptart
29 minutes ago, poptart said:

I've decided to disconnect from social media. I’m seeing some very disturbing things from some people I used to know and It’s bothered me to the point where I’m pulling the plug.  I’ve had it happen to me already, when I fled the state after I had my father served with a restraining order, I was curious if he was smart enough to check social media, sure enough he checked my linkedin and saw I was working at DI.  After running his mouth off over how happy he was to see me miserable, he started hounding my social media like crazy.  I was able to get a job as an adjuster through a friend so I was able to work without networking on linkedin.  It’s so hard nowadays to get work in white collar unless you know someone, everyone networks on social media nowadays and besides lawyers, people out to get you do find out who your employer is.  Tough part is when you’re trying to find work or update your resume with contacts, people watch you.  I knew a crime victim advocate who worked with LDS family/employment services, it’s disgusting what some people put others through.  I know at DI we’d have domestic violence victims working there, their ex’s would call all the time trying to get info on them.

Anyway, I’m seeing people I knew, a few landlords who think they’re above everyone threatening to go through people’s friends list and in essence repay 200% for anything bad they say about them.  Even worse, a few people there still have it in for me after I pressed charges for fraud.  Since I’m in the middle of retraining for a different field that really doesn’t require me having to network like I did in white collar, I’ve decided to disconnect from the matrix.  I look at the friends I have, while none of em have it in for me most I haven’t spoken to for years.  All it would take is some data leak, glitch or someone friending someone I know and mining data.  Know it sounds paranoid, I’ve actually seen it happen.  Another saint I know has a son who just graduated law school, deleted his a while ago over the data breech, that and facebook selling users info.  Kind of extreme but I’ve made up my mind.

Curious who else here has done the same? 

Hi PT.

I don't understand. I am glad I don't. I am not doubting your reality...but it is a zillion miles from anything I could comprehend. I was a garbage man for twenty plus years, and now I am even less intellectually challenged in a factory. I am always looking out the windows for my old way of life. I see the trucks on Hwy 24. Retirement is close already. Get away from what you call white collar. Just work. Sweat. Dirt. Cold. Hot. Dark. Light. Wet. Dry. Wind. Humidity. Fog.  Blue sky. Clouds. Get outside, or at least look out the windows longingly. Physicality is good for the soul. 

Fwiw, Rory

26 minutes ago, 3DOP said:

Hi PT.

I don't understand. I am glad I don't. I am not doubting your reality...but it is a zillion miles from anything I could comprehend. I was a garbage man for twenty plus years, and now I am even less intellectually challenged in a factory. I am always looking out the windows for my old way of life. I see the trucks on Hwy 24. Retirement is close already. Get away from what you call white collar. Just work. Sweat. Dirt. Cold. Hot. Dark. Light. Wet. Dry. Wind. Humidity. Fog.  Blue sky. Clouds. Get outside, or at least look out the windows longingly. Physicality is good for the soul. 

Fwiw, Rory

Lol, you just read me like a book.  I'm going into medical, I tried trades, good luck.  For anything decient there's a waiting list.  One problem with having illegals here, many construction and landscaping businesses pay em cash under the table, even roofers do this.  Before anyone calls me on it, when I was a cat adjuster I saw it all the time...

What i'm looking into (and already doing...) keeps me on my feet and out of the poison that is social media networking, i'm just dealing with another loose end.  Don't know if you heard this, many men are dropping out of white collar, what you don't hear is how many of em are going blue collar or medical.  White collar is such a landmine, people are afraid of someone making sexual harassment aligations, even decades after they've known the person.  Even schools and volunteer organizations are suffering, I hear now that Bishops and Church leadership has had to re-do how they work with youth, gone are the days where someone could sit down with an adult and discuss spiritual matters away from their parents. 

Agree with you on physicality, mom is 77 (Had me waaay late in life), still gardens and is healthy and happy, I keep very active.  I hate the city, can't wait to grab my rod and go catch trout this summer. 

44 minutes ago, poptart said:

Agree with you on physicality, mom is 77 (Had me waaay late in life), still gardens and is healthy and happy, I keep very active.  I hate the city, can't wait to grab my rod and go catch trout this summer. 

Hope you are able to stay off the grid.  Not much privacy any more.

51 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Hope you are able to stay off the grid.  Not much privacy any more.

So, here's a few ideas i've been working on.  Besides axing my social media, i'm getting a burner phone once my contract is up here in a few months.  Going to root the thing, delete facebook, make sure the auto track thing for google maps is off and go from there.  More I learn how to modify a rooted phone, more privacy I'll have.  I'm going to be in this area for a bit, so I have time to learn.  Biggest thing is getting rid of my social media presence, that gives me a lot more privacy.  That, and i've not given out my physical address in years, I've found ways around that...

Everyone has different experiences.

I got some death threats when I was a mod elsewhere, I never thought of them as credible and even the one who I knew offline I believe at most would rant at me in public...but there was always the 'what if?' In my head.  I felt the need to be concerned about the what ifs more when my kids were minors and could be royally traumatized just by someone showing up at my home or s nasty phone call.  Now they are not and can handle those kinds of fears better, not so concerned.

5 hours ago, poptart said:

So, here's a few ideas i've been working on.  Besides axing my social media, i'm getting a burner phone once my contract is up here in a few months.  Going to root the thing, delete facebook, make sure the auto track thing for google maps is off and go from there.  More I learn how to modify a rooted phone, more privacy I'll have.  I'm going to be in this area for a bit, so I have time to learn.  Biggest thing is getting rid of my social media presence, that gives me a lot more privacy.  That, and i've not given out my physical address in years, I've found ways around that...

You sound like Jason Bourne . . .  😎

I’ve cut waaaay back on social media and it’s liberating. I did it too much and it robbed me of real life.  

What you’re talking about sounds extreme and is either legit dangerous or paranoia, please don’t be offended by the latter.  But I wish you luck.  I know you struggle with depression.  Isolating can really exacerbate depression.  

Peace. 

Edited by MustardSeed
On 4/24/2019 at 5:00 PM, Maidservant said:

I'm going the other direction.  I used to be afraid.  Now I'm becoming more open.  I am and will use social media to its fullest.

Have fun with that, just remember to read up on the privacy settings.  Also be careful who you befriend.  That and really be careful with posting photos of your home and family, easy way to get dox'd.

22 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

You sound like Jason Bourne . . .  😎

Besides how my life has been, try having family who are feds, you get to hear things...

12 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I’ve cut waaaay back on social media and it’s liberating. I did it too much and it robbed me of real life.  

What you’re talking about sounds extreme and is either legit dangerous or paranoia, please don’t be offended by the latter.  But I wish you luck.  I know you struggle with depression.  Isolating can really exacerbate depression.  

Peace. 

Nope, it really is a result of a lot of thinking, weighing pros and cons and what i've been through.  Had a good family friend who was a US marshal help me with the restraining order I filed years ago, I have a lot of very unplesant stories and still have the legal documents.

12 minutes ago, poptart said:

Besides how my life has been, try having family who are feds, you get to hear things...

Bad enough to have a bunch of therapists in the family...law enforcement, not info I want to be too familiar with...

I'm getting tired of dealing with negatives.  I have FB friends whom I otherwise respect posting political memes that have about 15% truth and 85% twists -- and this is from both the sides of the spectrum.  Also nutty things like chemtrails.  I have to really clamp down on wanting to set them straight -- since it never works.  I am getting the same thing here, too.  Some utterly illogical and self-contradictory posts that cry out for correction, but attempts to correct never work.  Regardless of whether it's me who is actually wrong or truly them, it doesn't make a difference what I say.  

I am getting very very tired of Facebook.  And here, too, unfortunately.  Twitter is a mess.  I have a LinkedIn profile, but I never go there any more, since I'm retired and it's pointless.

I don't blame you at all, @poptart

I'm tried of it all.

1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

I'm getting tired of dealing with negatives.  I have FB friends whom I otherwise respect posting political memes that have about 15% truth and 85% twists -- and this is from both the sides of the spectrum.  Also nutty things like chemtrails.  I have to really clamp down on wanting to set them straight -- since it never works.  I am getting the same thing here, too.  Some utterly illogical and self-contradictory posts that cry out for correction, but attempts to correct never work.  Regardless of whether it's me who is actually wrong or truly them, it doesn't make a difference what I say.  

I am getting very very tired of Facebook.  And here, too, unfortunately.  Twitter is a mess.  I have a LinkedIn profile, but I never go there any more, since I'm retired and it's pointless.

I don't blame you at all, @poptart

I'm tried of it all.

It's a risk anymore, people love to digitally lynch people on line, they either never consider nor (most likely) care about the damage they cause their families.  Careers get ruined, people lose their homes and in many cases end up homeless with no one there to help them.  I'm playing to my strengths and eliminating a major source of stress as we as a window that someone, even if he doesn't know any better could possibly comprimise me and cost me a job.  Never forget when I used to see my LDS friend who was a crime victims advocate, some of the domestic violence stories he had were terrifying, he's always advised his clients for years, delete all social media if your life problems have gotten to the point of you taking a restraining order out on someone.  People suck.

I can see why you would do it. I don't have the toxic people around me in real life and my facebook friends are good as well so I don't worry about it. 

I no longer "follow" anyone on facebook. I just put them as "close friends" so I get notifications when they post, but only look at those posting and update or picture and just scroll past the "share" notifications so I don't see all articles etc. despite the fact that I really hope people will "share" my blog.