Seriously No Politics ×

Just for fun: Vatican City

This is an interesting YouTube video published by CGP Grey, who publishes a lot interesting and informative videos.  Are you wondering how the Vatican came to be, here's a quick rundown:

The real history of the Vatican goes back to the time in ancient Rome in which the god there (Deus Vaticanus)  inspired a prophet (vates) who made prophecies (vaticinia).  The Pope, who currently occupies that holy city (Vaticanum "The Vatican") not only subsumes that prophetic function, but he also assumes the ancient pagan Roman title Pontifex Maximus "Supreme Pontiff," the high priest of Rome -- a title held by Julius Caesar, for example, which further reflects the imperial function of the Pope as actual King of the Vatican State.

Pretty sure the Vatican was built on what was a pagan temple, like most of the churches were.  Notre Dame was, pretty sure one of the first Cathedrals in Germany was built right over where the mighty pillar Irminsul stood.  Something that changed with time at sacred sites, while they usually started out as sacred groves/burial mounds, over time they started to build temples with the trees outside.  Eventually, it was just the temple and no tree, basically the living holy spots were replaced by man made things.  Think that's one thing I never liked about churches, you really think the supreme being/Allfather/Jesus/God would be hanging out in some dingy building made by human hands?  I don't.  I think he hangs out in the pride of his creation, nature.  Why would the divine stuff himself in some dead building with stuffy people, when he can be in the living creation, associating with the living, majestic things which glorify the goodness of life and the purity of the world in it's most glorious form. 

4 hours ago, poptart said:

Pretty sure the Vatican was built on what was a pagan temple, like most of the churches were.  Notre Dame was, pretty sure one of the first Cathedrals in Germany was built right over where the mighty pillar Irminsul stood.  Something that changed with time at sacred sites, while they usually started out as sacred groves/burial mounds, over time they started to build temples with the trees outside.  Eventually, it was just the temple and no tree, basically the living holy spots were replaced by man made things.  Think that's one thing I never liked about churches, you really think the supreme being/Allfather/Jesus/God would be hanging out in some dingy building made by human hands?  I don't.  I think he hangs out in the pride of his creation, nature.  Why would the divine stuff himself in some dead building with stuffy people, when he can be in the living creation, associating with the living, majestic things which glorify the goodness of life and the purity of the world in it's most glorious form. 

O.K., then how do you like the notion of the Garden of Eden as a temple?

2 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

O.K., then how do you like the notion of the Garden of Eden as a temple?

Oh that's right up my alley.  Personally, if I had my way, pic related is about as much as I'd like to see a temple develop.

Midvinterblot_carl_larsson.jpg

Here's a gem, the only Shinto Shrine in the USA, Granite falls, WA.  Place is packed on new years day.

IMG_1638.jpg

10 hours ago, poptart said:

I prefer the dingy building during extreme weather.

4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I can take them. Save your strength for Ragnarok boys. You are still going to lose but at least put on a good show.

Vidar will wreck things, not all the gods will die.  Baldr will take over management, Thors kids get his hammer.  Forget that, i'm going to hang out with Vidar, i'm not sticking around for pretty boys rule...

15 minutes ago, poptart said:

Vidar will wreck things, not all the gods will die.  Baldr will take over management, Thors kids get his hammer.  Forget that, i'm going to hang out with Vidar, i'm not sticking around for pretty boys rule...

I think I am going to let the Fenris Wolf go and ride it into battle.