Seriously No Politics ×

CBD

Me, I do for the prevention of Alzheimer's that runs high in my family. My mother started showing signs at 62, and she had to live this horrific disease until the age of 75. 

Also, it has kept my hypothyroidism at bay, I no longer take the medication for it. And I now drive the freeways/highways, where before I had gone into panic attacks and quit driving them. I think it had to do with the meds for hypo or it was the hypothyroidism that caused anxiety, not sure. 

I've even used it on some precancerous (?) spots on my body, or bumps, and they disappeared. But I know it's not a cureall. And I use my oil with THC, but do not feel a high, only a few drops under the tongue at night. 

But I've read some studies that it may cause stomach issues, so I don't know what is good or what is bad until we get some more studies. I just know what it's done for me and have read many stories of it helping others. 

I use the THC because it's been shown to possibly clear out the plaque in the brain, which is possibly or probably the cause of Alz. 

It's great that now one can buy CBD oil legally now. 

I just had a Costco pharmacist recommend marijuana something to me, here in Utah!  Here's hoping the medical establishment is looking at it seriously and she just isn't a fluke.

I just read that a ketamine nasal spray has been approved by the FDA for resistant depressionn(two or more anti-depressants didn't work).  My daughter will probably try that once she has adjusted to her latest med change.  It works...if it works...in a few days rather than a month or more needing to build up, etc.

Edited by Calm

I don’t take much of anything for anything but my colleague swears by expensive Charlottes Web brand CBD for its purity.  It has taken him from extreme joint pain to full range of motion.  I wouldn’t have a single moral issue giving it a ride before trying harmful pain meds. 

I wanted to comment on thyroid meds. My meds caused me so much anxiety I almost took my life. Within days of going off of them I felt so much better. I am getting ready to try CBD. I am currently on LDN and it is helping but I believe that I can feel better. I hope that people know that CBD has trace amounts of THC which don't get you high. I am excited to try it.  

Took me forever to get used to my thyroid support and anxiety is a definite problem at times.  But alternative is not having enough energy to automatically turnover in bed, so I persisted.

what is LDN? (If brand name of drug, you may have to space it out as the site censors them and blocks posts thinking its spam)

I have some other medications that make me leery of adding in something more unpredictable and that lacks a good reputation among doctors (because I need them to take me very seriously, I had one doctor dump me because I pushed for a nonstandard treatment because I had read the science that the usual treatment made things worse in the long run, science was relatively new and she didn't even look at the medical reportI brought in).

Edited by Calm
36 minutes ago, LAB said:

I wanted to comment on thyroid meds. My meds caused me so much anxiety I almost took my life. Within days of going off of them I felt so much better. I am getting ready to try CBD. I am currently on LDN and it is helping but I believe that I can feel better. I hope that people know that CBD has trace amounts of THC which don't get you high. I am excited to try it.  

In Utah I think the THC level has to be less than .3%

47 minutes ago, Calm said:

Took me forever to get used to my thyroid support and anxiety is a definite problem at times.  But alternative is not having enough energy to automatically turnover in bed, so I persisted.

what is LDN? (If brand name of drug, you may have to space it out as the site censors them and blocks posts thinking its spam)

I have some other medications that make me leery of adding in something more unpredictable and that lacks a good reputation among doctors (because I need them to take me very seriously, I had one doctor dump me because I pushed for a nonstandard treatment because I had read the science that the usual treatment made things worse in the long run, science was relatively new and she didn't even look at the medical reportI brought in).

Low Dose Naltrexone

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

Be careful with CBD.  In an unregulated market, there are many watered down versions. 

This is Consumer's Lab top pick:

Bluebird Botanicals Hemp Classic 6 x Concentrated, 1,500+ mg (hemp extract and hemp oil; 15 drops [0.5 mL], twice or more per day3)

It has it listed as 4.8% CBD, passed contamination tests

Also 

CW™ [Charlotte's Web] Everyday Plus - Infused Oil Mint Chocolate (28 mg hemp extract per 2 full droppers [1 mL]; 2 full droppers, twice daily)

Mfd. by CW Hemp

Listed with 1.9%, 

I found with Consumer Labs they don't weigh the kind of ingredient at times so not always the better absorbed, etc, but are great for saying if the product contains what it says it does.

And info:

High daily doses of CBD (20 mg per kg of body weight, i.e., hundreds of milligrams) may cause decreased appetite, diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue, fever, somnolence, and abnormal results on liver-function tests (Devinsky, New Eng J Med 2017; Thiele, Lancet 2018). Side effects at high dosage are common: A dose of 25 mg per kg resulted in adverse events in 80.8% of children (treated for epilepsy), with decreased appetite, diarrhea, and weight loss being the most common events. Weight loss emerged only after several months on treatment, was clinically significant in 30.7% of patients, and resolved with dose reduction or treatment cessation (Sands, CNS Drugs 2018).

CBD may lower blood pressure and increase heart rate. A small study among young, healthy men (average age 23) found that, compared to placebo, a single, 600 mg dose of CBD decreased resting average systolic blood pressure (by 6 mm Hg) and increased heart rate by about 10 beats per minute (bpm) approximately one hour after taking; the same dose of CBD also lowered systolic blood pressure (by 5 mm Hg) and increased heart rate (by 10 bpm) during exercise (Jadoon, JCI Insight 2017). Drops in blood pressure (of 10 to 20 mm Hg) upon standing were reported in each of five patients with movement disorders given CBD (100 mg to 500 mg) for several weeks. Two patients also reported lightheadedness. A worsening of symptoms of Parkinson's disease was also noted. In addition, dry mouthoccurred in two of the five patients (Consroe, Int J Neurosci 1986). Dry mouth (which also occurs with marijuana use) may be due to inhibition of cells in the salivary glands that contain cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 (Prestifilippo, Exp Biol Med 2006), and CBD can interact with such receptors (Pertwee, BJP 2008).

CBD should be used with caution with sedative and sleep-inducing medications, as it may enhance their effects. CBD could also potentially increase the effects of herbs and supplements that have a sedating effect, such as melatonin, valerian, SAMe, ashwagandha and others, although there do not appear to be any published reports of this occurring. 

I may delete this later as it is a pay for use site but I feel like I am more advertising its usefulness, lots of other info that is useful about supplements---though not comprehensive, so not raving about it--- and not that expensive.  If you have 30$ish, well, worth it though.

Edited by Calm

Lowest cost, but only 1.3%

Elixinol™ Natural Drops Hemp Oil + Coconut Extract with Naturally Occurring CBD (16.7 mg hemp oil per ½ dropper [0.5 mL]; ½ dropper, twice daily)

Dist. by Elixinol LLC
Ingredients

This is where I buy mine, and have spoken with Judy many times, she's even on FB. It's a small company I believe. I haven't keeled over yet from using it. And it is cheaper compared to many other companies. http://www.bellasgold.com/shop/ One bottle lasts at least 3 to 4 months. 

And this is a company that my friend in Nevada has recommended and says her husband has benefitted so much from using it for his arthritis. https://www.hempworx.com/Ockmeli80?

And the lab work on my friend's suggested company is wonderful, I wish my lady had these on her website, but I took a chance. fbclid=IwAR25DAOafpaW2GzRhzRq2NSy4_QaXSr8nvAKCCfQ58YHvrIqQPkPg4_gvBs

Also, these products have been given the  Certification Seal:

WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The U.S. Hemp Authority today announced the first awards of its Certification Seal to 13 outstanding companies that have met the stringent standards the industry laid out for quality and safety.

The following awardees have demonstrated their commitment to assuring that consumers have access to safe and accurately labeled hemp-derived products, including fiber, seed and extracts, such as cannabidiol (CBD). 

• Charlotte’s Web, Boulder, CO
• CV Sciences, San Diego, CA
• HempMeds, San Diego, CA
• MetaCan, Roswell, GA
• Medterra CBD, Irvine, CA
• GenCanna, Winchester, KY
• Balanced Health Botanicals,
• Shell Farms, Winchester, KY 
• Nature’s Hemp Oil, Lexington, KY
• HD Distribution, Louisville, CO

• Hempworx, Las Vegas, NV

• Bluebird Botanicals, Louisville, CO
• Barlean’s, Ferndale, WA

Edited by Tacenda
On 4/6/2019 at 1:39 PM, LAB said:

On 4/6/2019 at 1:56 PM, Calm said:

My wife has had to take thyroid since I came home after our third child, and found her on the floor. But when she first went on synthr**oid, she got terrible anxiety. Then eventually she went on Ar-mor thyroid which seemed to help, but she still sometimes had bouts of depression and anxiety, and it seems the amount she needed had to be adjusted up and down. For awhile she had to take something else because Ar-mor supplies became problematic. This last year she finally went back to the doctor who initially found her low thyroid, and he said maybe she should try synthetics again. He said the dosage of thyroid you get in the "naturals" like Ar-mor cannot be controlled as easily, so he put her on a small dose of synthetic fast acting, and the rest being the thyroid precursor. He seems to have gotten her to some of her best steady state, but a couple of weeks ago she was quite anxious again. Do you think it is something about the amount of thyroid that is at issue? or maybe the synthetic binders in the thyroid meds, or something else?

1 hour ago, RevTestament said:

My wife has had to take thyroid since I came home after our third child, and found her on the floor. But when she first went on synthr**oid, she got terrible anxiety. Then eventually she went on Ar-mor thyroid which seemed to help, but she still sometimes had bouts of depression and anxiety, and it seems the amount she needed had to be adjusted up and down. For awhile she had to take something else because Ar-mor supplies became problematic. This last year she finally went back to the doctor who initially found her low thyroid, and he said maybe she should try synthetics again. He said the dosage of thyroid you get in the "naturals" like Ar-mor cannot be controlled as easily, so he put her on a small dose of synthetic fast acting, and the rest being the thyroid precursor. He seems to have gotten her to some of her best steady state, but a couple of weeks ago she was quite anxious again. Do you think it is something about the amount of thyroid that is at issue? or maybe the synthetic binders in the thyroid meds, or something else?

My use of CBD cleared my hypothyroidism up. I no longer take Levothyroxine for it. My doctor gave me the okay to try CBD oil instead and let me skip taking the meds. After 3 months on the CBD oil they took my lab work and found I was normal and didn't need the meds.

Everyone is different and must get the okay first from their doctor. CBD is so new, so the clinicals haven't really been done. I use CBD with THC for the prevention of Alzheimer's but from the article it only mentions CBD oil as working best, which is a win/win since it's legal in all 50 states.  https://420evaluationsonline.com/health-and-news/can-cannabinoids-normalize-thyroid-function I think this is such a new thing that we're only seeing the beginning of what it can do. As long as it's not life threatening, I think it would be okay to try it for a short time to see if it brings the body back to normal.

If anyone would like to see my lab work for proof, I can supply it. Also, I take a thyroid supplement but I really think it was the CBD oil that did it. This is what I've been using as well.  https://www.puritan.com/puritans-pride-brand-0102/thyroid-complex-019424

3 hours ago, RevTestament said:

That is why my doctor insists on synthetics, to control dose.  I found taking it between midnight and 2 am rather than after 5 am or any set time after that leaves me with less side effects and more positive effects.  My daughter is the same, among other things we get sick headaches.  There are studies that show it may be absorbed better at night.  The important thing is to be consistent in how you take it...same time every day and either a half an hour or hour before and after eating or with the same amount and type of food every day if one can't manage the waiting to take it for some reason.  That way absorption will be consistent.  But best to take on empty stomach, whether at night or before breakfast.  Digestion varies so much, imo.

Edited by Calm

Is she taking any mineral supplements or other things that may interact with the supplement?  If she is that sensitive, it might be wise to avoid even eating anything with high mineral content (especially magnesium or calcium, but iron and other minerals as well) within 4 hours of taking it (normally it is just supplements of those things) before or after.  I have had to switch my magnesium that I take to help sleep to 8 PM or earlier.  However, I seem to be able to use tyrosine or trytophan an hour before or after without a problem.  I use the First for restlessness, the second for mental relaxation...but can't use them at the same time or with other amino acid or protein (they get digested and combined for Other things apparently).

The thyroid supplement is the pickiest drug I have ever taken.  Most others I can 'play' with to adjustto my very variable sleep schedule or activity level.  Not it.  Very bossy.

Edited by Calm
8 hours ago, Tacenda said:

My use of CBD cleared my hypothyroidism up. I no longer take Levothyroxine for it. My doctor gave me the okay to try CBD oil instead and let me skip taking the meds. After 3 months on the CBD oil they took my lab work and found I was normal and didn't need the meds.

Everyone is different and must get the okay first from their doctor. CBD is so new, so the clinicals haven't really been done. I use CBD with THC for the prevention of Alzheimer's but from the article it only mentions CBD oil as working best, which is a win/win since it's legal in all 50 states.  https://420evaluationsonline.com/health-and-news/can-cannabinoids-normalize-thyroid-function I think this is such a new thing that we're only seeing the beginning of what it can do. As long as it's not life threatening, I think it would be okay to try it for a short time to see if it brings the body back to normal.

If anyone would like to see my lab work for proof, I can supply it. Also, I take a thyroid supplement but I really think it was the CBD oil that did it. This is what I've been using as well.  https://www.puritan.com/puritans-pride-brand-0102/thyroid-complex-019424

She did take a thyroid supplement for awhile which seemed to help balance her out. I don't remember the brand right now. It does seem that iodine may be a large factor in helping the thyroid. Her condition seems to be an auto-immune condition in which her own body sometimes attacks her thyroid. She has become slightly gluten sensitive, etc. 

I would never guess CBD would help thyroid but maybe it could help the auto-immune sensitivities.

7 hours ago, Calm said:

That is why my doctor insists on synthetics, to control dose.  I found taking it between midnight and 2 am rather than after 5 am or any set time after that leaves me with less side effects and more positive effects.  My daughter is the same, among other things we get sick headaches.  There are studies that show it may be absorbed better at night.  The important thing is to be consistent in how you take it...same time every day and either a half an hour or hour before and after eating or with the same amount and type of food every day if one can't manage the waiting to take it for some reason.  That way absorption will be consistent.  But best to take on empty stomach, whether at night or before breakfast.  Digestion varies so much, imo.

7 hours ago, Calm said:

Is she taking any mineral supplements or other things that may interact with the supplement?  If she is that sensitive, it might be wise to avoid even eating anything with high mineral content (especially magnesium or calcium, but iron and other minerals as well) within 4 hours of taking it (normally it is just supplements of those things) before or after.  I have had to switch my magnesium that I take to help sleep to 8 PM or earlier.  However, I seem to be able to use tyrosine or trytophan an hour before or after without a problem.  I use the First for restlessness, the second for mental relaxation...but can't use them at the same time or with other amino acid or protein (they get digested and combined for Other things apparently).

The thyroid supplement is the pickiest drug I have ever taken.  Most others I can 'play' with to adjustto my very variable sleep schedule or activity level.  Not it.  Very bossy.

Thank you Calm!! Her routine is to take it in the morning, and then wait 1/2 hr to eat, but I think she also takes some supplements with her food. She has noticed certain things which seem to interfere with her absorption. I think she is very hesitant to take thyroid at night because iirc she says it interferes with her sleep, but I can suggest that again. It does seem she is very sensitive to the amount of thyroid she takes and absorbs. If it is too much she can experience increased heart rate, and anxiousness. If too little, she gets exhaustion and brain fog. From what you say, it may be that what she eats in the morning may be affecting her more than she realizes. She often eats egg.

What do you use tryptophan for? Does it help you sleep?

Tryptophan is great for sleep, raises serotonin. Though it makes my daughter too sleepy the next day.  Never me though.  I never slept so well as when I was first on that and only that ...at most maybe a cal-mag supplement (this was back in 88 and 89, before doctors convinced me to take the wrong thing which pushed my brain too far for only supplements to work).   She might try 5-Hpt, it is a stage further along.  My problem is I did the SS RIs which was worse thing for me and did a number on my brain so that it felt like serotonin had to be at a very precise level or I would have anxiety attacks or massive migraines.  Hpt migraines were worse.  So I never tried that more than once or twice  Been a long time since I tried it though and this last year I was finally able to start taking tryptophan without a headache, so I might try that again.

One thing I hate is caffeine...Had to take caffeine today to drive and now I will be awake almost all night I can tell so even worse tomorrow for my daughter's appts (today's was Mom's, Friday the dog).  Must last twice as long as it is supposed to.

With tryptophan start at one pill, 500 mg, see how that works for a few days, move up to 2 pills, and if not enough go to 3.  I am not sure about htp,

4 hours ago, Calm said:

Tryptophan is great for sleep, raises serotonin. Though it makes my daughter too sleepy the next day.  Never me though.  I never slept so well as when I was first on that and only that ...at most maybe a cal-mag supplement (this was back in 88 and 89, before doctors convinced me to take the wrong thing which pushed my brain too far for only supplements to work).   She might try 5-Hpt, it is a stage further along.  My problem is I did the SS RIs which was worse thing for me and did a number on my brain so that it felt like serotonin had to be at a very precise level or I would have anxiety attacks or massive migraines.  Hpt migraines were worse.  So I never tried that more than once or twice  Been a long time since I tried it though and this last year I was finally able to start taking tryptophan without a headache, so I might try that again.

One thing I hate is caffeine...Had to take caffeine today to drive and now I will be awake almost all night I can tell so even worse tomorrow for my daughter's appts (today's was Mom's, Friday the dog).  Must last twice as long as it is supposed to.

With tryptophan start at one pill, 500 mg, see how that works for a few days, move up to 2 pills, and if not enough go to 3.  I am not sure about htp,

The SSRIs didn't work for her either. She had various unbearable symptoms such as headaches. She didn't take any of them long. This last doctor she went back to though suggested welbutrin, which she has really liked. I will suggest the tryptophan, but usually she has no problems sleeping - maybe unless she takes the thyroid at night - do you know if the tryptophan will interfere with the thyroid? What does the 5 htp do for you? Have you tried CBD?

Edited by RevTestament

Tryptophan may help with anxiety.  If she doesn't need it for sleep, spreading out the dose over the day might help with depression or anxiety.  But if she has had problems with ssris, I would suggest she try it very slowly, one pill for two weeks, than add another, and then a third if it seems to help.

It is the stuff in turkey and milk that helps relaxing.

I would not take it within an hour of the thyroid.  What time does she usually go to bed, does she take anything then, or eat something to help her stay asleep, or  does she wake up and then go back to sleep quickly?  (Thinking of how timing of the thyroid might be easiest.